General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fiesta st, are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 14-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Question Fiesta st, are they worth it?

Hello,

So my MG has given up for now with the fuel pump and i hate it, so i was looking at all sorts of cars but the fiesta is cheap on insurance and has a little power but nothing to shout about.

Are they worth getting one? I dont have loads to spend on one and most likely need to get it on monthly

Ive also seen you can tune them a little, is it worth doing this? will i get better mpg by doing so? If so how much?

Cheers
Old 14-03-2012, 11:36 AM
MannheimAlex
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own mine for 2 years now and so far I dont had some problems with it.
The only thing is the TB, it needs a clean every now and then. If not, it can cause a lumpy idle.

I am on an average of 35mpg with the occasional spirited driving
Old 14-03-2012, 11:41 AM
stevenr

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Better with one of the Clio sport range IMO.It depends on what you want from the car though i suppose.
Old 14-03-2012, 12:11 PM
DAN P
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want good mpg why dont you just get a tdi ??? some thing like a fabia vrs with a remap would be kool
Old 14-03-2012, 04:52 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheap cars. Can get a 07 for 4.5 k.

Slow and shit in fuel tho
Old 14-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice car but there are better out there.
Old 14-03-2012, 06:19 PM
daz-cos
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i like em, when i had mine i dident think it was that bad on fuel it does have a small trank though so may seem like its using alot if you get what i mean, as for speed its certainly no rocket but its fast enough to have fun in and thats prob why the insurance aint to bad compared to its slightly quicker rivals. great car imo would deffo have another

Trending Topics

Old 14-03-2012, 07:01 PM
paul-h
PassionFord Regular

I had one, modified. Full milltek, induction kit, lowered on eibachs, rear spacers mk3 mondeo calipers & st 170 discs, Jamsport 185 map and the first engine had Newman cams is it.

It drank oil like it was going out of fashion which led to oil surge and running a big end.

55k mile engine out of a mk3 mondeo went in and that drank oil too!

Apart from that it was a good car! Handled fairly well too!
Old 14-03-2012, 07:23 PM
WolvesWill
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I like them, got a Mountune MR200 one myself!

Fundamentally reliable, the same cannot be said for the Clio 172/182 which seem to cost rather more on the road. As standard the Clio is a better car though, in driving terms....as a longer term ownership prospect, I'm not so sure though. Everyone will tell you the Clio is loads faster but given most don't make the 182PS they claim, the difference is not as pronounced as you might think. Fiesta has a better interior, but is worse on fuel. Swings and roundabouts if you ask me
Old 15-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Well i was looking at Clios but when i sat in one once it was just to small and i hear the Fiesta is about the same as a mk1 focus inside size wise.

Also i feel for around 4k you can get a newist Fiesta with lots of toys to a Clio. I know i could get a tdi but the st looks better and has that BIT of speed that will also do high 30's if needed. Also the jwrc kit looks mean as fuck!

Old 15-03-2012, 01:56 PM
bunkryloon

Iv had my st for 2 years now. Not had 1 problem. Sitting at 67k on the clock. Ive done some things to it, exhaust lowered etc and it is spot on. Great wee car.
Old 15-03-2012, 02:14 PM
JK12
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

enjoyed mine when had it in past, did allot of M way miles and needed a 6th, but think there good cars just drink petrol like most cars really.
Old 15-03-2012, 04:40 PM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had two and totally abused them and never had a problem
They are only slow when people can't drive because they are very easy to drive and handle pretty well

They go best with around 190bhp but I drove a mates 225bhp one with LSD and it was brilliant fun
Old 15-03-2012, 05:11 PM
paul-h
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by rsmark86
I've had two and totally abused them and never had a problem
They are only slow when people can't drive because they are very easy to drive and handle pretty well

They go best with around 190bhp but I drove a mates 225bhp one with LSD and it was brilliant fun
What were the mods on the 225bhp one? Sounds lovely!
Old 15-03-2012, 05:15 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My girl friends is lowered, focus st breaks front and back, full system, drilled discs ect re map, it's still no were near the speed of a Clio ( sure mark will agree with me, yh they go alright ifyou rape em, )

They just feel week aswell, ours has done 37k and is due it's clutch soon, also already on it's second box ( which is whining in second ) due to me popping the first one.

Like I say, a Luke warm hatch on a 06-7 plate for 4 k can't be sniffed at, but a standard one deffo feels like a 1.4 fiesta with a 2.0 mondeo lump lmao
Old 15-03-2012, 07:35 PM
dannyboy89

I've had mine for 2 years now and i still love it, for the money they're great cars. Would deffinately recommend one.
Old 18-03-2012, 03:31 PM
actionman

I'd go for a Fiesta any day over a Clio regardless of how much better a Clio is said to perform. Clio looks ok but reliability wise they're crap. Typical French poor build quality!
Old 18-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by actionman
I'd go for a Fiesta any day over a Clio regardless of how much better a Clio is said to perform. Clio looks ok but reliability wise they're crap. Typical French poor build quality!
Total bollocks mate! A good friend of mine is well known for killing cars (Impreza WRX - 3 engines, 2 gearboxes. Legacy GTB - 2 engines, 2 diffs). The Clio 172 Cup he had, well he got it for his wife but enjoyed it so much he stole it off her, was pretty faultless. In fact that Car was so good he's just purchased a Clio 200 Cup over the Evo he was looking at. My missus has had her Clio from new in 2007 and it hasn't put a single foot wrong. We also have several Renaults at work and they have proven to be far more reliable than our Vauxhall fleet. For sure the build quality isn't great but the Fiesta isn't a hand crafted Bentley either.

Last edited by Oranoco; 18-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 18-03-2012, 03:56 PM
actionman

bit harsh that! woke up in a bad mood this morning did you? ask most people what 1st comes to mind when you mention french car reliability & most will say crap. A mate of mine worked at a renault dealership as a technician & even he says they're crap

I won't deny that there prob is some good ones out there, just not many. A lad I worked with had a 55 plate 182 almost from new, he's still got it & hasn't hardly had to have anything done. Then again it's still got under 30k on the clock as he only lives 2 mile from his work so it doesn't do much mileage

you're mate must also just thrash his cars to death if he kills so many engines & boxes. I've had a scooby & an evo & didn't kill either, then again, i don't drive like a tw*t. Any car can be destroyed if it's ragged about all the time

i still stand my ground on my opinion. Especially as i'm in the motor trade. I can honestly say that the majority of the cars i repair are French. As for vauxhall reliability. We've got an astra diesel with 196k on the clock & it never lets us down, neither did my old work vectra diesel which had 183k on it.

I also didn't say Fiesta's have Bentley build quality, i just said they're better than Clio's.

oh & vauxhall hardly use they're own engines anymore. Most of the diesels are Fiat engines & 3.0 cdti is isuzu. Vivaro is basically a Renault traffic. I've remapped a few vivaros & the ecu info is always identified as renault

Last edited by actionman; 18-03-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 18-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Sorry, wasn't meant to come across so harshly but you posted a flat sweeping statement which at best was flawed. I too spent quite a few years in the motor trade before getting out to do something else, so not exactly green round the gills myself.

Our fleet of about 30 Vauxhalls of different types (Corsa, Astra and Vectra, few Vivaros too but as you say that's basically a Renault, Nissan etc) and we have a Pug (which has been truely horrendous for relaibility, I won't attempt to defend it ) and I think 6 Renaults. The Vauxhall stuff has spent far more time in the dealers with stupid problems than the Renaults. In fact the only time I can recall one of the Renaults being in for something other than a service was when some twat put diesel in it.

As for my mate, he's an animal and drives hard I absolutely can't deny that. Certainly not a twat though, he actually has remarkably good natural ability and runs the cars on various track days and airfield days

Last edited by Oranoco; 18-03-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 18-03-2012, 05:41 PM
paulmex
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Nothing wrong with renaults! There excellent for paying the wages
Old 18-03-2012, 05:44 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ST is a pretty tougth little motor, still look good and come with some nice toys. Down side for me was that it felt a bit held back, like it should have more go for a 2.0l 150bhp engine that liked juice. I found the ride was a bit high up and crashy also.

But all in all, not a bad little motor.
Old 18-03-2012, 06:21 PM
actionman

Originally Posted by paulmex
Nothing wrong with renaults! There excellent for paying the wages
yep, def agree with that. I also cut & program car keys. Renault are the most common i do where the customers original has packed up. mk2 Clio 1 button remotes being at the top of the list closely followed by the dreaded key cards!

I do pretty much most makes of keys. I do loads of Fords but they're mainly for people who want a spare etc
Old 18-03-2012, 06:27 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

bit harsh that! woke up in a bad mood this morning did you? ask most people what 1st comes to mind when you mention french car reliability & most will say crap. A mate of mine worked at a renault dealership as a technician & even he says they're crap
But what 'first comes to mind' isn't always true. The Clios are RenaultSport, and generally aren't plagued with the normal French problems. Oranoco is correct, you were talking bollocks.
There's quite a few 172/182 owners on here, I'm sure one will be along soon, Chip is well into them after all!

As nor the ST, mediocre drive, not very powerful, barely a warm hatch tbh.
Old 18-03-2012, 06:46 PM
actionman

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
But what 'first comes to mind' isn't always true. The Clios are RenaultSport, and generally aren't plagued with the normal French problems. Oranoco is correct, you were talking bollocks.
There's quite a few 172/182 owners on here, I'm sure one will be along soon, Chip is well into them after all!

As nor the ST, mediocre drive, not very powerful, barely a warm hatch tbh.
RenaultSport Clio's are still Renaults & French & use the same electrics etc as every other Clio on the road. They're all made from the same production lines.

So the next time a customer with a Clio Sport comes to me with problems i'll tell him he's talking bollocks & there's nothing wrong with it as it's not built by Renault but actually by RenaultSport!

Anyways, i'd still rather have a Fiesta, but that's my opinion! i'm entitled to it.

Don't you just love forums, they're full of arsey kids that love to try jump down other peoples throats! should stick to squeezing spots in mirrors!
Old 18-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Wow theres some bollocks on here.

ST Fiesta Vs Clio 172/182 - not comparable cars apart from being small sporty hatch backs. The clio is much quicker in the real world.

The clio is NOT unreliable at all.... having owned a couple of 172's and 2 182's I honestly never understand why people consider them to be so. Just need to make sure the belts are done every 36k thats all.
Old 18-03-2012, 06:56 PM
actionman

Originally Posted by Shings
Wow theres some bollocks on here.

ST Fiesta Vs Clio 172/182 - not comparable cars apart from being small sporty hatch backs. The clio is much quicker in the real world.

The clio is NOT unreliable at all.... having owned a couple of 172's and 2 182's I honestly never understand why people consider them to be so. Just need to make sure the belts are done every 36k thats all.
i consider them unreliable because i work on cars for a living. Or it may just be that i live in an area where all the unreliable Clio's are owned!

My brother in law is on his 2nd 182. The 1st he got rid of within 6 months of buying it as it was nothing but bother. So he just bought a basic 1.8 Focus which was fine until it was just written off. He has now just bought another 182 & within 2 weeks of having it he's already just had a garage bill of nearly Ł350.

Also as i said before, regardless of performance i'd still pick a Fiesta. I wouldn't pick a car just because it's faster than a different car
Old 18-03-2012, 07:06 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

zetec s tdci
Old 18-03-2012, 07:11 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Clio > ST. Every day of the week. It would have to be the 172 Cup though.
Old 18-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i consider them unreliable because i work on cars for a living. Or it may just be that i live in an area where all the unreliable Clio's are owned!

My brother in law is on his 2nd 182. The 1st he got rid of within 6 months of buying it as it was nothing but bother. So he just bought a basic 1.8 Focus which was fine until it was just written off. He has now just bought another 182 & within 2 weeks of having it he's already just had a garage bill of nearly Ł350.

Also as i said before, regardless of performance i'd still pick a Fiesta. I wouldn't pick a car just because it's faster than a different car
So you let your brother in law get stung for Ł350 by a garage but you work on cars for a living - I note you don't tell us what was wrong to cost Ł350.

Must be shit though if he got another one, I know I always buy more of the same shit when I find something is shit...........

I hear brown is a desirable colour for a car which could also be a reason for picking a car.

Horses for course - the OP asked a question, someone spouted some bollocks and it has now been corrected.

But for the record.

Fiesta ST150 Curb Weight is c1100kgs
150ps
0-60 -7.9
Top Speed 130

Clio 172 Curb Weight is c1000kgs
169ps
0-60 - 7.3s
Top Speed 139

Clio - Faster - FACT
Old 18-03-2012, 07:35 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

So you let your brother in law get stung for Ł350 by a garage but you work on cars for a living - I note you don't tell us what was wrong to cost Ł350.

Must be shit though if he got another one, I know I always buy more of the same shit when I find something is shit...........

I hear brown is a desirable colour for a car which could also be a reason for picking a car.

Horses for course - the OP asked a question, someone spouted some bollocks and it has now been corrected.

But for the record.

Fiesta ST150 Curb Weight is c1100kgs
150ps
0-60 -7.9
Top Speed 130

Clio 172 Curb Weight is c1000kgs
169ps
0-60 - 7.3s
Top Speed 139

Clio - Faster - FACT
Old 18-03-2012, 07:40 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Don't you just love forums, they're full of arsey kids that love to try jump down other peoples throats! should stick to squeezing spots in mirrors!
Epic, I think something different to you, so I'm a 'kid'. Guess I know fuck all about cars though, I've only been working on them since I first bought one, rebuilt my Fiesta from pretty much fuck all, and had my 200sx almost totally apart, replacing and upgrading bits, despite owning it for only a month.

But I guess as you 'program car keys' for a living, you know best.

Maybe you should realise that your opinion is your OPINION. Your opinion that all Clio Sports are unreliable shit it also incorrect, and NOT fact. You are also the one who 'jumped down' Oranoco's throat, so a bit ironic to say this forum is full of 'kids' waiting to do so...
Old 18-03-2012, 08:23 PM
actionman

firstly, my bro in law lives 250 miles away.

secondly, car keys is 1 of the things i do. i started off as a mechanic but ended up getting into doing keys as well so i could offer more services.

Third, i didn't jump down anybodies throat. All i'd said was that i think they're unreliable. Oranoco was the 1 that said i was talking bollocks, which as far as i'm concerned is just plain rude & disrespectful when you're speaking to somebody for the 1st time. So i just said that was harsh, he appologized, so that's fine with me.

Then you just jumped in & said exactly the same. Which to me makes you sound like a 17 year old that just likes to shout his mouth off on a forum where nobody can grab you by the throat & shake your head till it falls off your shoulders.

If you're not 17 & are actually what i class as an adult then by just saying i'm talking bollocks instead of saying something normal like "i don't agree!" just makes u a nob in my eyes., but that's just my opinion because that's how you've come across

As for the performace figures you've posted. I've already said i really don't care if a Clio is faster, i'd still pick a Fiesta. 0-60 times don't show true capability of car. 0.6 secs is nothing in the real world

oh & my bro in law wasn't unhappy with the performance etc of his 1st Clio. It just had a lot of mechanical & electrical issues & he decided to get rid of it because it cost him as much to repair it as the car had cost him in the 1st place. So after the Focus was written off he decided to go for another Clio as he likes the looks & how they drive. Unfortunately for him he's have issues with this 1 as well

Last edited by actionman; 18-03-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 18-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

firstly, my bro in law lives 250 miles away.

secondly, car keys is 1 of the things i do. i started off as a mechanic but ended up getting into doing keys as well so i could offer more services.

Third, i didn't jump down anybodies throat. All i'd said was that i think they're unreliable. Oranoco was the 1 that said i was talking bollocks, which as far as i'm concerned is just plain rude & disrespectful when you're speaking to somebody for the 1st time. So i just said that was harsh, he appologized, so that's fine with me.

Then you just jumped in & said exactly the same. Which to me makes you sound like a 17 year old that just likes to shout his mouth off on a forum where nobody can grab you by the throat & shake your head till it falls off your shoulders.

If you're not 17 & are actually what i class as an adult then by just saying i'm talking bollocks instead of saying something normal like "i don't agree!" just makes u a nob in my eyes., but that's just my opinion because that's how you've come across

As for the performace figures you've posted. I've already said i really don't care if a Clio is faster, i'd still pick a Fiesta. 0-60 times don't show true capability of car. 0.6 secs is nothing in the real world

oh & my bro in law wasn't unhappy with the performance etc of his 1st Clio. It just had a lot of mechanical & electrical issues & he decided to get rid of it because it cost him as much to repair it as the car had cost him in the 1st place. So after the Focus was written off he decided to go for another Clio as he likes the looks & how they drive. Unfortunately for him he's have issues with this 1 as well

I'm gutted you might think I am a nob.
Old 18-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Wish i never asked now, lol.

Well i did look at Clios a little while back and hear the belts need doing and cost alot if i need to get it done. Also i did hear there not great as being Renault but i am not saying in anyway there shit (dont start on me )

I think for the money i can get a Fiesta and ill be back in the ford scene! Plus a Clio is just to small in the cabin where a Fiesta i find has more space but does seem high up.

Im not really after a fast sports car as insurance is high but the Fiesta is faster than most cars out there (normal cars) and cheap on insurance for me.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:24 PM
stevenr

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't agree with the poor build quality at all i'm afraid.I had a 55 plate 182 and did near 40k in it,not one bit of bother.It got driven hard all the time too.

It could handle the punishment far better than the ST170 it replaced that's for sure.It was the most unreliable bucket of shite i've owned.

Suppose every car is different.
Old 18-03-2012, 10:28 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by stevenr
Better with one of the Clio sport range IMO..
we call them "rubber door renaults" because the doors are a bastard to repair with filler, and also it's french shite
Old 18-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Brilliant thread ...!!

I've had a st for 2 weeks and liked it a lot.

Last edited by Rsmat; 18-03-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 18-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsmat
Brilliant thread ...!!

I've had a st for 2 weeks and liked it a lot.

IDIOT...

Should of got a Clio.

PMSL
Old 18-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

IDIOT...

Should of got a Clio.

PMSL

Was a loan car whilst my my brand new frs mk2 was in for a recall... I knew I should have asked for a Clio....

Quick Reply: Fiesta st, are they worth it?