General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ever found that used car and it got sold before you saw it...!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:02 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever found that used car and it got sold before you saw it...!

Rang a dealer yesterday at lunch to confirm car's availability and was still available. It had only been advertised for a matter of days almost a week and was at a good price too. Thought to myself shall I go FRiday when I finish early or go straight after work today. I thought what the heck I'll go today strike as soon as I can. Went there, searched on their computer for said car, doesn't come up. Searched manually, "sorry sir, it appears this car was sold yesterday afternoon."

Fooking gutted!!

Ever had this happen to you where you think you've found just the car you're looking for and strike nice and early to find somebody had already snapped it up?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
chris m1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Yep, what lead me into getting a ford, went to view the car, turned into the close only to see it pass the other way and the phone go "sorry mate sold it 10mins ago"!. next car on the list was the XR and thre rest is history
Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 PM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats what deposits are for mate we sell a few cars and tbh as a seller alls you hear all day everyday is ill come down such and such a day dont sell it, unless you leave a deposit then the first person to arrive with cash wins the deal
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is a pisser but money talks and bullshit walks
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by MikeyRobbo
Thats what deposits are for mate we sell a few cars and tbh as a seller alls you hear all day everyday is ill come down such and such a day dont sell it, unless you leave a deposit then the first person to arrive with cash wins the deal
Thing is mate I hadn't even seen the car yet. Saw it online and went the next day to see it and tbh if all was well I was with the mindset of buying it there and then or at least leaving a holding deposit. Just my luck though.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
S1

I arranged to view a Focus that was in Yorkshire, I'm in Essex so It's a 4 hour trip. About an hour into the journey the company phoned me to let me know they'd had interested party who'd already had their p/ex valued and was phoning up at three to either confirm or cancel (he worked on the rigs off Aberdeen). They said I could leave a totally returnable deposit, if I didn't like the car I got the deposit back. Pulled into the next services and left 1K deposit to secure it. I viewed the car and it was spot-on so I bought it. It was delivered to me on Monday!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Had this when I was looking for my current Mondeo. Found a car in Bedfordshire on a Friday evening, rang at 5.30 as they were literally closing up. Car was still avaialble, said I;d be up first thing in the morning. Got there at about 9.30 Saturday and in half an hour the car had sold, the bloke paid cash and took it before I even arrived.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, when BAM_S2 was selling his White Series 2 RS Turbo, I phoned up to organise a time to view it and was told that he had just sold it to his mate... I was gutted at the time and continue to be gutted every time I see the car.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ive done one worse. went to look at a car, liked it, agreed a deal went walking up the highstreet to take cash out for a deposit and bloke calls me up saying it's sold!

was a mint E34 535i M-Sport (and i mean PROPER mint!) he wanted 1k for.

think he suddenly realised he was about to sell it FAR too cheap! lol
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Danwood79
PassionFord Regular

I rang a dealer on the morning i was going to see a car as it was about 2 hours away, agreed trade in ect then got to the garage car was sat there and he had sold it 10 mins earlier, told him he was a cunt and left ( was only about 18 at the time )

Took my girlfriend with me and in the end we had a good day out driving around as it was a nice hot summers day.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Java=Blue
BANNED
BANNED

yep.. was a bmw coupe for sale few miles from me, bank pissed me about so i was longed out for the money for an extra day, so i rang him up the next day only to find it had sold the day before.. when i wanted to go and buy it....had m3 wheels and leather, also came with spare tan leather interior and m3 wheels bargain... 400 quid. was gutted!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
2star
Regular Contributor

Ive just won a very clean example of a car on ebay for Ł600 under the book value as private sale, just hoping the guy holds it to the weekend and doesnt decide to pull a funny one on me, ive offered a deposit but he said no he wants cash in full on collection!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Went to check out a 106XSi for my missus years ago at a dealers. Drove about 80 miles, turned out to be a 106XS. Very similar names, very different cars. Bastard.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S1
I arranged to view a Focus that was in Yorkshire, I'm in Essex so It's a 4 hour trip. About an hour into the journey the company phoned me to let me know they'd had interested party who'd already had their p/ex valued and was phoning up at three to either confirm or cancel (he worked on the rigs off Aberdeen). They said I could leave a totally returnable deposit, if I didn't like the car I got the deposit back. Pulled into the next services and left 1K deposit to secure it. I viewed the car and it was spot-on so I bought it. It was delivered to me on Monday!
I still say its a ringer.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

in this day and age money talks, 1st person to lay cash in your hands gets the keys
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purcahsed my latest car when i was in oz, gave a deposit flew over and collected.. If you give. Holding deposit ahows your genuine.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-PD
in this day and age money talks, 1st person to lay cash in your hands gets the keys
Doesn't it just!

I saw a Focus RS race car for sale a few years ago, absolutely perfect for what I wanted and I rang the bloke, he said he wanted Ł10k for it.

We went through everything, he was down in Bristol and I was in Blackpool so I agreed to paypal a holding deposit of Ł500 and go down to view the car with cash for the rest 4 days later.

Rang him 2 days later to confirm all the details and the address etc. to be told "oh, someone came round earlier with cash and took it. I'll give you a refund"

Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Lamb Souvla
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by pani_k
Rang a dealer yesterday at lunch to confirm car's availability and was still available. It had only been advertised for a matter of days almost a week and was at a good price too. Thought to myself shall I go FRiday when I finish early or go straight after work today. I thought what the heck I'll go today strike as soon as I can. Went there, searched on their computer for said car, doesn't come up. Searched manually, "sorry sir, it appears this car was sold yesterday afternoon."

Fooking gutted!!

Ever had this happen to you where you think you've found just the car you're looking for and strike nice and early to find somebody had already snapped it up?
What car was it Pani?

I had found the right car off a friend, left him a 1k deposit as it was gonna be a week till I gave him the cash, turned up at my door 2 days later with my money, sorry mate, sold the car. Was a bit gutted.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
rsfido_1989
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I Looked at a car wanted it, test drove it, organsied and paid my deposit on the spot. They had a woman in looking at it before I got there, they valued her car she popped home to get some docs no deposit paid. When she did come back i was a very happy chappy pawing my new car... She wasn't overly impressed tholol
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

Selling a vehicle to the first person with cash is fair enough, but mis describing a vehicle is the worst.
I travelled to the far side of sheffield to view a smiley face transit "turbo" diesel. Rang the stealers to confirm it was deffo a turbo, "yes, deffo turbo" said the mush. Hour and a 1/2 drive later got there to find it was standard banana non turbo. The manager comes out to tell me the new shape transit they had was turbo, and sorry about the confusion.
Coooooooooooonts!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Originally Posted by TheLocksmith
What car was it Pani?

I had found the right car off a friend, left him a 1k deposit as it was gonna be a week till I gave him the cash, turned up at my door 2 days later with my money, sorry mate, sold the car. Was a bit gutted.

Was a passionBMW 330d M Sport E92 shape manual with sat nav. EXACTLY as I wanted in spec bar a few bits and well priced. I wouldn't be so gutted if manuals weren't as rare as rocking horse shit to find with sat nav.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had this happen to me when I went to look at a low mileage mk1 Focus RS 3 years ago, was gutted I lost out and never bothered looking anymore.