General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Garrett Intercooler Cores

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Garrett Intercooler Cores

Where is the best place to buy these from in the UK or do they have to be imported from the states?

Cheers
Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
MAD Ade
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Where is the best place to buy these from in the UK or do they have to be imported from the states?

Cheers
ATP in the states is the only place I know of.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Alg1k
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine from them
Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Garrett arent the only option
These guys have a larger selection.
http://www.bellintercoolers.com/
Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It was bell cores on the coolers I fitted to my Porsche , I know alotof the American guys rate them as good as the garrett's.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They make the intercoolers for underground racing too
Old 04-12-2011, 12:56 PM
DazF
Designer/Fabricator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers
Give Pete a call at Spec-R.01380 724518

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Docking, Pace, A&H, Radtec and no doubt others can supply intercooler cores to pretty much any shape or size you need.

It'd need to be something either very bloody special or very keenly priced to warrant buying from the US. And given the crap exchange rate I cant imagine that happening.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:28 PM
DazF
Designer/Fabricator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Docking, Pace, A&H, Radtec and no doubt others can supply intercooler cores to pretty much any shape or size you need.

It'd need to be something either very bloody special or very keenly priced to warrant buying from the US. And given the crap exchange rate I cant imagine that happening.
Have you had a qoute from docking recently ?
Makes the exchange rate look cheap
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by DazF
Have you had a qoute from docking recently ?
Makes the exchange rate look cheap
They supplied my core about a year or so ago. They werent the cheapest quote, but they made exactly the size I needed.

Pace were the cheapest, although not in the exact size I wanted.

But Docking also werent even close to the most expensive. They were in the middle really.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

Intercoolers its the efficiency of the core that matters (bar & plate at this price level) not size . I did the research on this 2 years back. If you want to pay 10k for an intercooler then there are some incredible core out there used in other industries. Make your limit £800 the bar & plate from Garrett is the most efficient thats a fact not a debate or i would have gone elsewhere. The difference a smaller but more efficient intercooler made to mine is quite rermarkable & with efficiency comes flow & more Power. People think keeping CA down is all an intercooler does if correctly designed it will make Power as well .
Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by MadRod
Intercoolers its the efficiency of the core that matters (bar & plate at this price level) not size . I did the research on this 2 years back. If you want to pay 10k for an intercooler then there are some incredible core out there used in other industries. Make your limit £800 the bar & plate from Garrett is the most efficient thats a fact not a debate or i would have gone elsewhere. The difference a smaller but more efficient intercooler made to mine is quite rermarkable & with efficiency comes flow & more Power. People think keeping CA down is all an intercooler does if correctly designed it will make Power as well .
My core was a little over half that price. My previous very bad core setup certainly didnt pose a restriction to airflow. But it's ability to cool, was crap. I think I measured less than 2psi drop across the core at full load.

With the new core, temps did drop dramatically. Although it was much bigger in every respect.

And an IC core's primary task is of course to cool the air. The only other thing it has to do, is cool the air without posing a restriction. It's a pretty easy task if as you say the core is efficient enough to do so given the space available to install it.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Rod its exactly that reasoning which is why I want a Garrett core. Enough mags have done enough tetst now to show that the Garrett cores are the way to go.
Iv narrowed my search down to the choice of two cores from they're range, one rated at 425 the other at 475 (im aiming for 400 but would accept 380hp) the deciding factor for me will be how well each of them fit in the space I have for them on my Corsa.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

I do hope they dont rate their cores only by HP ? That makes no sense whatsoever. A lot of Yank companies do that !!

The airflow and more importantly cooling requirements for two 500bhp engines will be very different.

You could have a 1000cc boosted engine making 500bhp that needs massive cooling ability, and a 5000cc boosted engine making 500bhp that needs virtually none.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It would appear they do Steve

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...t/intercoolers

Have a gander
Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Although pointless information wise, this is how my car was. What im trying to achieve is by down sizing the intercooler size and going to a more efficient core, I should then be able to have more of a bumper and make my car look alot more subtle, but still improve performace.

Im sure you will agree, it looks ghastly above!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Im sure you will agree, it looks ghastly above!
As Corsas do

You really need to be giving the core supplier a lot more information. Engine size, power, boost pressure, turbocharger etc etc.
Even better if you can add current temperatures before the IC and after, and again boost pressure before and after at present

There is no generic sooper dooper 500bhp core that works for all 500bhp engines.

But equally as important as core design, is end tank design. The generic egay stuff like you have generally work ok because they are big. But their end tanks are crap. They need to be big and free flowing, and designed so air can pass evenly through the entire core. That can make a good difference to efficiency. No sense having a great core but having crap airflow through it.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 04-12-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Steve im actually in mid conversation with CR turbos about all above that you just wrote as I want to run one of the new GTX28 range of turbo's. Power wise 400 would be nice but as said 380 is more then enough as I want a quick spool and broad powerband on my 2.0 engine for what will be mainly track and fast road use. I have no interest in drag or topspeed at all.