General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

range rover vogue reliability

Search this Thread

Old 22-08-2011, 05:32 PM
jamesXXX
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default range rover vogue reliability

Hi all, im looking at buying a 2002 ranger rover vogue, it will be the 4.4 V8, but after reading a few reviews about reliabilty, air suspension, electrics, etc, i was wondering if anyone on here had ever owned one, and what there opinions are, thanks in advance
Old 22-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are thirsty bastards!
Old 22-08-2011, 05:40 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ask turbosystems tony, he had about 15 at last count!
Old 22-08-2011, 05:51 PM
JK99
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had one for a couple years and it was decent. Had one strut replaced at a cost of £750 and one of the Cats needed welded - it was about 6/7yrs old at the time.

Averaged 17mpg in it and would have another one.

The air suspension compressor packed in after I sold it but think that was because it was overworked when the strut had a leak.

A much nicer place to be in when compared to the equivalent X5 although I felt the X5 drives better on the road.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:06 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/
all the info you need mate
Old 22-08-2011, 06:11 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad had a few and had infinate problems with the remote central locking. in the end he had it completly turned off. You'd pull up to a petrol station, fill up and it'd just refuse to start until you turned the key left 5 times, right 3, left another 7 timews, wait for some beep and then lock and unlock or something ridiculous like that.

he also had an air compressor go, but it was like £56 + vat for a seals kit so that wasn't too bad.

But he too now owns an X5. i prefer the beemers tbh.

Last edited by orionmojo; 22-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 22-08-2011, 06:21 PM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

My brother in law is a range rover addict ,he sold his one which suffered endless leccy issues which was a 2002 and went back to a classic 3.9 vogue se and has had trouble free motoring ever since and has now treated it to a gas conversion kit too

Trending Topics

Old 22-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Range rover and reliability not normally words seen in the same sentence very often
Old 22-08-2011, 06:33 PM
timster

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mannock
Range rover and reliability not normally words seen in the same sentence very often
How often Tony? Cosworth and reliability on the same par?
Old 22-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

most cosworth unreliability is due to old age and the owners repairs and or lack of them
Old 22-08-2011, 08:10 PM
rs2klee
K***LMT

Originally Posted by orionmojo
My dad had a few and had infinate problems with the remote central locking. in the end he had it completly turned off. You'd pull up to a petrol station, fill up and it'd just refuse to start until you turned the key left 5 times, right 3, left another 7 timews, wait for some beep and then lock and unlock or something ridiculous like that.

he also had an air compressor go, but it was like £56 + vat for a seals kit so that wasn't too bad.

But he too now owns an X5. i prefer the beemers tbh.
I had the same fault.. and yu know what it was!? the BT buildings or places with strong signals from the aerials would knock out the remote signal to the car.. I hated taking mine to work as i had to park it like a mile up the road clear of the building.. and also had to leave it open in the Mc D`s carpark as id never get it started without pissing about with the said left,right bolox, i had my 4.6 HSE for about 3 years before all hell started to break loose.. the passenger footwell heater stopped working as theres a small motor that controls the vent flap and yu have to take half the dash out to get to it.. the air compressor started to cause the EAS Fault on the dash and then theres no suspension untill you get it re-set at £30 a time.. so i ended up buying the lead and free software to reset it myself.. last option was to fit proper springs but i fixed the probs then sold it on. If you get a good one that someones spent a fortune on and sorted out the problems you get a good one.. if its got problems your just end up chasing them and costing you hard earned..!

Last edited by rs2klee; 22-08-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 22-08-2011, 08:34 PM
jamesXXX
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by rs2klee
I had the same fault.. and yu know what it was!? the BT buildings or places with strong signals from the aerials would knock out the remote signal to the car.. I hated taking mine to work as i had to park it like a mile up the road clear of the building.. and also had to leave it open in the Mc D`s carpark as id never get it started without pissing about with the said left,right bolox, i had my 4.6 HSE for about 3 years before all hell started to break loose.. the passenger footwell heater stopped working as theres a small motor that controls the vent flap and yu have to take half the dash out to get to it.. the air compressor started to cause the EAS Fault on the dash and then theres no suspension untill you get it re-set at £30 a time.. so i ended up buying the lead and free software to reset it myself.. last option was to fit proper springs but i fixed the probs then sold it on. If you get a good one that someones spent a fortune on and sorted out the problems you get a good one.. if its got problems your just end up chasing them and costing you hard earned..!
I know what you mean, but there isnt anything else out there that i like, X5 is probably my second choice, but no where near the spec of a vogue, and a lot heavier on the insurance!!
Old 22-08-2011, 08:38 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Bought a Range Rover vouge about 7 years ago.......always wanted one......TOTAL heap of shit, owned it 10 months and the engine bluw up, suspention failed twice, windows fucked up, doors broke, total heap........

lost 7k in 10 months on it..........
Old 22-08-2011, 08:51 PM
jamesXXX
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by TIFF
Bought a Range Rover vouge about 7 years ago.......always wanted one......TOTAL heap of shit, owned it 10 months and the engine bluw up, suspention failed twice, windows fucked up, doors broke, total heap........

lost 7k in 10 months on it..........
Cheers Tiff, i guess there is a lot of luck involved when buying one of these, it seems 50/50, some say they are the best thing since sliced bread, with just the odd fault, and on the flip side, there fucking falling apart!!
Old 22-08-2011, 09:09 PM
JK99

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a few folk on here are talking about the P38 which is the model before the one you'd be looking at. My old man has had the lot and the P38 in 4.6 and 4.0 have both given him a lot more grief than the L322 he had.

You can't compare them in all honesty - the drive of the 2 is massively different too.
Old 23-08-2011, 07:22 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK99
I think a few folk on here are talking about the P38 which is the model before the one you'd be looking at. My old man has had the lot and the P38 in 4.6 and 4.0 have both given him a lot more grief than the L322 he had.

You can't compare them in all honesty - the drive of the 2 is massively different too.
just what i was going to say!

i have no experience of the l322 but do have a p38 which is the best thing since sliced bread! Yeah it has had issues but carful reaserch and a set of spanners everything can be fixxed.
Old 23-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

the l322 had a new range of problems all build quality issues
you have to love British Leyland gone in reality but not in piss poor quality
the legend lives on
Old 23-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

They don't have any reliability.

When I had a horse with the ex Range Rovers were very popular. Everybody had issues irrespective of age.

I work near a Land/Range Rover dealer and it's horrifying how often one is on the back of an AA truck outside. Not even the Citroën place the other end of the road is as terrible.

Thing is if I had the money I would still probably buy one.
Old 23-08-2011, 11:12 PM
paddyrs

there good if you look after them lots of people dont look after them write
Old 24-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

You don't expect an 8 month old car to suffer complete engine failure irrespective of how it's been looked after.
Old 24-08-2011, 03:10 PM
paddyrs

Originally Posted by Oranoco
You don't expect an 8 month old car to suffer complete engine failure irrespective of how it's been looked after.
true i had a 6 week old focus st which needed a new ecu so you can get them in any make.
Old 24-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Thing is mate it really wasn't just that one car. The horse scene tends to have a bit of cash because of its nature.

There were several on the yard and problems with gearboxes, suspension or electrical issues were often being complained of.
Old 24-08-2011, 05:20 PM
paddyrs

were they auto boxes by any chance? as for the electrics there crap on landrovers to be fair.
Old 24-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Mister G

I don't have any experience with older Range Rovers, but do drive all the current ones, also X5's ML's etc. (all less than two years old) They are deffinately the most capable of the premium off roaders, superb to drive on the road and beautifully trimmed. I'd certainly have one over their german rivals...

...but reliable they are not. When they are running they are great, but the faults do seem to be many and varried. The air suspension problem also plagues the X5, but I have seen everything from ECU and imobiliser faults to shattered turbos and brakes which refuse to unlock. Also, even our diesels seem to manage 27mpg... If you want a capable off roader which can carry you in luxury though the Vogue is the one...