General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Birthday present driving experience quandry

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm driving the atom at donnington in two weeks, I was quite looking forward to it until I read this!!

In all serious though a atom at 70% is going to be loads better than driving my relay at 110%! I just hope it doesn't rain!

Gavin.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Hope it's different for you Gav but it will still give you a bit of a thrill even at that pace but just pissed me off listening to the instructor screaming "brake" it was as if your nan was hanging off the back. Others ive been on were better just that 6th gear one - I think they're called that cos nobody's ever got into 6th gear. As said before I've done two at Prestwold, Evo5 rally day and Nissan GTR which were both really good and got to give them some stick so they're not all crap.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and comments.

I think I'm going to have to go for the Atom for sure as it's so different to just about any car out there that the feel of the wind as you drive round must make it feel like 100 when it's at 50 etc.

As for the other one, it'll most likely be the Aston for it's "make you feel like James Bond" aspect and sense of occasion if you can't give it 100% on track. Nothing will come close to the Atom for sheer adrenaline, so no point trying with another pure speed car. Unless the Lambo winks at me that is and sounds the way I imagine it can.

I haven't got to make a decision until I get there so we'll see.

Will have to investigate the Palmermotorsport days as that's only just up the road from me
(Might even get a discount as my surname is Palmer.. lol)

Last edited by Dal_; 04-08-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a day out in a supercharged atom, ferrari 360, a 430, caterham and a focus rs. without a doubt would go in the atom, you wont believe it!!! I'm getting one, might take a while but i will getone...maybe lambo for het second choice.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:53 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Grant
you're not going to get to drop the clutch at 7k and rip it around the circuit as if your pubes are on fire..

So I'm going to set aside a bit of cash until I get to the point where I can do one,
Id be up for doing that shit!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

If you want to do a 'proper' track experience day, then look into Palmersport days... they're not cheap, but they're absolutely balls to the wall and 1000% more exciting than these 'supercar experience' days IMO. I can't recommend them enough.

After speaking to one of my friends at the weekend who used to be an instructor up there, I'm itching to do another one!! So I'm going to set aside a bit of cash until I get to the point where I can do one, then tie it in with another visit to the Bedford area to see old friends etc.

Cheers,
Grant

let me know when. I will do it with you. Was my 20th time few weeks back.... I did it with Sir Clive Woodward. He was quite quick.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Palmersport days do look good. Not bad value when you think of it too really, given you can easily pay Ł100 just for 4/5 laps in a supercar!
Incredible value. You have NO idea how hard you push the cars.

its insane.

I just dont know how they do it so cheaply. I really dont.

best day out ever. I never get bored of it.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:32 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by P_is_for_Paul
Id be up for doing that shit!
It's well worth the trip down Paul, without a doubt one of the most exciting days you'll ever have behind the wheel!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
let me know when. I will do it with you. Was my 20th time few weeks back.... I did it with Sir Clive Woodward. He was quite quick.
Sounds good, I'll give you a shout when I'm ready to book up Lee.

Edit: ...this'll just be my second time and I'm willing to use that as an excuse if/when I need to explain away my 'iffy' performance.

Cheers,
Grant

Last edited by RS Grant; 05-08-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Will be my 21st... I expect to win.... again

Old 05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Haha there was a bloke from McLaren at the day I was on... he stole Driver of the Day away from me!! I beat him by a ball hair to scoop top spot in the Clio Cups though, which I was very proud of.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

did you look at the score sheet? he may have beaten you... they only let you win one event

I can normally clean sweep the score charts but they give the trophy to the next fastest who hasnt won anything

Just looked at the date... 4th July. I haven't done it for a whole month! DAM

is that you locking up in the pic
Old 05-08-2011, 02:34 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

LOL!! ...don't try and take this away from me, I remember checking the sheet and I definitely won!!

The locking up was just a bit of showboating for the crowds...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Mattie
Regular Contributor

I would recommend Supercar Lifestyle for the money. I have previously done the usual airfield track day experiences and most are pretty poor. I did a Track Experience with Supercar Lifestyle last weekend at MIRA in Nuneaton. Couldn't fault it for Ł100. Good bunch of guys....although still limit your pace. For Ł100 you couldn't fault it. Drove a Porsche GT3 Oakley, Ferrari F430, Aston Martin DB9 and a passenger lap in a Ariel Atom.

My two laps in the GT3.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJ3-...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Sinbad
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

We have paid the extra for my son to get the fast passenger laps as well so he can get a proper feel of the cars
Old 19-11-2011, 12:09 AM
S2=RSTmatt
iLovecaRS''
BANNED

do you have to have a license to do these? im sure i remember someone off here's 13 year old son,driving a lambo gallardo ? ?

as i wont have a license til after xmas, i was thinking of treating myself to a driving experience, but obviously cant if a license is needed....
Old 19-11-2011, 07:57 AM
dazparki
Part of the Furniture

Speak to 'madgit'. His son was cooooool driving a Lamborghini upto 73mph! Watched it the other day
Old 19-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by S2=RSTmatt
do you have to have a license to do these? im sure i remember someone off here's 13 year old son,driving a lambo gallardo ? ?

as i wont have a license til after xmas, i was thinking of treating myself to a driving experience, but obviously cant if a license is needed....
I needed mine when I was at donnington. Mine was out of date by 18 months and they did make comment on the fact but they still let me drive.

Go in a atom if you can, only 4 people drove when I did it and also try and go last. I was last to drive and had the track to myself and the instructor just kept telling me to go faster and faster! Also take plenty of cash if you want some photos because they aren't that cheap!

Gavin.
Old 19-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Yes you do, it was my son but it was a specific junior drive not an adult one.
Old 19-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Originally Posted by dazparki
Speak to 'madgit'. His son was cooooool driving a Lamborghini upto 73mph! Watched it the other day
Thanks dazzler mate lol.
Old 19-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

As well as Bedford, Silverstone do single seaters that you are able to drive as fast as you can around the Stowe circuit, the lid's going on again next Sunday and I can't wait. Will hopefully get vid but last time it was full of condensation so not worth paying for.
Old 19-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Madgit
As well as Bedford, Silverstone do single seaters that you are able to drive as fast as you can around the Stowe circuit, the lid's going on again next Sunday and I can't wait. Will hopefully get vid but last time it was full of condensation so not worth paying for.
I did the single seaters at Silverstone, it's really good you can drive them as fast as you like they only pull you off if you bin it.
Rich
Old 19-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Have to look at binning it then Rich, there's a few nice girls that work there that can pull me off pmsl.
Old 19-11-2011, 06:27 PM
S2=RSTmatt
iLovecaRS''
BANNED

Originally Posted by dazparki
thats the one i meant lol
Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Driven an Aston Martin V8 Vantage and an Aerial Atom round Bruntingthorpe at full throttle today.

The Aston was everything I expected: Refined, yet with raw power and sounded totally glorious. The grip was quite impressive too as were the brakes.

The Atom was just something else. A complete animal in every way with it's Supercharged 300bhp Type R engine in a "car" weighs as much as a crisp packet. Sensation overload when you hit the right pedal..

Then had a fast passenger lap in a new Focus RS - might try driving like that on the way to work next - then again maybe not..lol

Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM
MrC
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlosST3
My mate told me the other week that his mate got one of these days. Booked it but the the handle fell out of his bathroom door locking him in or something and by the time he got out he missed it

Atom and Ferrari for me.

ahahahahaha thats funny as fook you couldn't make that shit up LMFAO