General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Painting a caged car. Calling all bodywork gurus

Search this Thread

Old 30-07-2011, 07:40 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Painting a caged car. Calling all bodywork gurus

I'm not far off sending my car to the paintshop but I have a few concerns that someone on here can maybe help me with.

As the car has been about a while it's suffering from all sorts of marks on the inside, now I've probably spent way to long trying to prep it but my thoughts were that the better I get it the better the finish will be.

The thing is the more time I spend on it the more I'm finding it nearly impossible to get to some areas and on top of that I'm also worried that some sanding marks might show through once painted.

I believe the painter doesn't plan to use high build primer on the inside, mainly as the whole lot will need rubbing down again, I'm curious if that us such a problem ? The fronts been blasted so that is surely going to need high build primer to cover that ?

The outside of the car is looking great so I'm confident that will look good once done, maybe I'm worrying too much about the inside but I don't want to have it done then be disappointed.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 30-07-2011, 07:55 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jonny you are the customer mate so if you ask for high build primer & you want him to rub it down before top coat then that is what he should do .but it will cost you more for the extra labour .if you want a high standard then it will cost you time & money to get the best finish you can get .

i will be using acid based etch primer then high build two pack primer inside ,then base coat & lacqour .for the under side i will be using etch primer then body line smooth stone guard ,then base coat & lacqour .

if you scrimp now you will more than likely regret it at a later date .
hope that helps mate.
Old 30-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Cossierick
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id of said the inside defo wants high build if its been blasted (etch first).

The worst thing with insides is cleaning ready for paint, there a swine to get rid of all the dust . Cleanlyness is the key, i wouldnt worry too much about sanding marks.

Is the inside going solid , or base and clear?

rick
Old 30-07-2011, 08:23 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by andy escos
Jonny you are the customer mate so if you ask for high build primer & you want him to rub it down before top coat then that is what he should do .but it will cost you more for the extra labour .if you want a high standard then it will cost you time & money to get the best finish you can get .

i will be using acid based etch primer then high build two pack primer inside ,then base coat & lacqour .for the under side i will be using etch primer then body line smooth stone guard ,then base coat & lacqour .

if you scrimp now you will more than likely regret it at a later date .
hope that helps mate.
This is very true, basically a friend of mine who has been doing body repairs for over 10 years has been giving me a hand, its his old boss thats actually painting it as my mate doesn't do painting.

I can't fault his help so far, the car has come a long way and as I know nothing about body repair I'm extremely grateful for any help I can get but I think even he is starting to realise its not exactly a normal car and some bits are going to be a right PITA to work around. I don't know the painter, I'll trust my mates opinion on his work and he has guaranteed that that it won't leave his looking anything but right but I do feel he is more concerned over the exterior than the inside and this is why I needed to get a second opinion.

I'm certainly not looking for a show car finish, its a race car, will never see the road and will only get wet going round a circuit or on the back of a trailer as it will be kept indoors.

Originally Posted by Cossierick
Id of said the inside defo wants high build if its been blasted (etch first).

The worst thing with insides is cleaning ready for paint, there a swine to get rid of all the dust . Cleanlyness is the key, i wouldnt worry too much about sanding marks.

Is the inside going solid , or base and clear?

rick
Thanks Rick, I do know its being etched as its been blasted.

I believe his plan is to take the shell without any panels and deal with that side of it first, basically priming the whole car and painting the inside and the bay, now I've thought about it he has probably forgotten the inside has been partly blasted and so has the bay so going off what you have said it should have high build primer put on anyway.

In your opinion how difficult is it to prep it once the high build has gone on ? Would I manage myself ?

As for the paint, I have no idea, I am complete newbie when it comes to paintwork, although I'm partially enjoying doing the prep myself I'm crapping myself about the end result.

Its being painted in frozen white, I'm clueless wether thats solid or base coat and laquer, maybe you know ? as for the dust, he did tell me the same and its one thing I'm trying to keep on top of as obviously the more we work on it the more grit and dust appears but the shell has had every inner skin removed so there isn't many places for the dust to hide away.........hopefully !

I haven't decided on what to do with the underside of the car yet, I was promised a roll over spit but that never appeared so I haven't got under it yet, its basically a fabricated chassis and its not all that hard to clean up, the paint under it and on the inside has been on it since 1993 so in fairness its done well, I don't see underseal as being required although I'll admit from previous cars it does guarantee the underside won't start rotting away.

Last edited by JonnyBravo; 30-07-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 30-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Cossierick
Part of the Furniture

Wel i would expect with frozen white (or any other solid colour) that the inside would be done in 2k direct gloss, basicly you just add hardner to the colour and away you go, it kind of has the laquer built in!! if that makes sence.
Without sounding rough, the prep work dosent need to be as perfect as it would doing base and clear with the solid as it can hide a multitude of sins.

Am sure if you speak to the painter he can help. Yes sanding the high build is somthing you can do. Am sure he will show you then you can follow on.

rick

ps . id do the underside the same as andy, a few light coats of stoneguard then two coats of colour. You could then cover it in clear waxoil to protect if you wanted or just leave as is
Old 30-07-2011, 09:32 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Thanks for the reply Rick, that doesn't sound too bad at all and I will have a word with the painter to mention how I want to do it.

I'll sort out the underside at some point, not exactly a easy to job without a jig as I have about 2" ground clearance Only thing is do I do the underside white ? hmmm

Thankyou again though, I feel much better about it now.
Old 31-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Marvin_hagler_
Marvelous Marv

Marv likes hmg's high solids if your painting poorer quality metal or high build primer that has covered a multitude of repairs that want hiding