General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Parking Ticket - Wrong Details...

Search this Thread

Old 29-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Parking Ticket - Wrong Details...

I was recently left with a nice present on my windscreen, a parking ticket from NCP. My own fault as just forgot to buy one to be honest…

Anyway, I went to pay the £50 fine online and entered my car registration in the box, but it came back as not on the database? So I checked the ticket that they left, and he has put the wrong Reg down. The last letter is wrong LOL

So, I am struggling to pay it Will this come back on me, bearing in mind they have the wrong red plate?
Old 29-07-2011, 01:40 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not your fault. Dont pay it. Fuck em. They entered the datails wrong. People have got away with murder for less fuck ups than that
Old 29-07-2011, 01:52 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i got a parking ticket years ago and tried to pay it but they couldnt find the details from the ticket number so i told them to make a note that i have called and tried to pay it but its their own fault they cant find the details - never heard anything more from it
Old 29-07-2011, 02:09 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was an NCP ticket I wouldn't be paying it anyway. Tickets from private companies as opposed to the council are generally unenforceable for reasons I won't bore you with here.

If they got the reg wrong unless they bother checking for cctv they will not be able to trace you as the keeper anyway. If they do ever trace you post again and you will no doubt get all the info you need about proper display of contractual terms, proportionality etc etc.

al
Old 29-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NCP can work on behalf of the council and issue penalty charge notices still. you're getting confused with private tickets
Old 29-07-2011, 03:11 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

NCP (ie national car parks) are a private company who issue private tickets as opposed to the council ones issued by the council and I am well aware of the distinction as mentioned in my post. The OP states the PCN was issued by NCP!

There is no confusion on my part!

al
Old 29-07-2011, 03:16 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by ajc.78
NCP (ie national car parks) are a private company who issue private tickets as opposed to the council ones issued by the council and I am well aware of the distinction as mentioned in my post. The OP states the PCN was issued by NCP!

There is no confusion on my part!

al
Cant down pettle no need to get all defensive

Westy - I wouldnt even bother mate. If they send you a letter i would play dumb and say you threw it away as it wasnt your number plate on the ticket and thought someone else had put it there
Old 29-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if they entered the details incorrectly then its not relating to your car is it ....
they may try to make you pay it, but surely it would goto the registered owner of the reg they put down...
Old 29-07-2011, 03:35 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanCossie

Westy - I wouldnt even bother mate. If they send you a letter i would play dumb and say you threw it away as it wasnt your number plate on the ticket and thought someone else had put it there
they can't send a letter to him....the reg they are fining for is not that of his car!
Old 29-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

NCP also operate as an outsourcing provider to a large number of councils and therefore DO give out PCNs under the council's authority
Old 29-07-2011, 03:36 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

Originally Posted by DanCossie

not being defensive simply clarifying the point to assist the OP. No need for your patronising tone either.
Old 29-07-2011, 03:48 PM
ajc.78
st70 build underway

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
NCP also operate as an outsourcing provider to a large number of councils and therefore DO give out PCNs under the council's authority
I am not doubting what you are saying but there is a distinction between the enforcement of a penalty charge notice issued by the council and one issued by a private company as I am sure you are aware. The consequences of not paying the charge are very different depending on who issued it. Work subcontracted unless specified otherwise in the terms and conditions are generally enforceable under the terms and conditions of the subcontracted company hence why I imagine the PCN bears the NCP name and sum.
Old 29-07-2011, 04:13 PM
20004x4
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by ajc.78
not being defensive simply clarifying the point to assist the OP. No need for your patronising tone either.
pot calling kettle black
Old 29-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

So general thoughts are.... it won't come back back to me. Happy days....
Old 29-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Isaac.Hunt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Where did you park?

Is it a penalty charge notice or just a parking charge notice? It cannot legally be a PCN for private parking enforcement.

Private ones you don't have to pay, council ones many people still do not have to pay.

For example, if your ticket was purchased and fell onto the car seat or the floor, or was clearly displayed outside the ambit of the picture provided (which often only covers a small area of the car), one could write a comprehensive letter stating this to avoid having to wrongly pay the charge if you were that arsed over the money. Obviously you say this is not the case for you, as you say above. I have had an apology once for somebody not seeing my clearly displayed permit.
Old 29-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

a public highways penalty charge notice will be clearly labelled as such. Private company shite tickets will look similar to scare old/thick people but will in the wording have parking charge notice or similar.

private tickets are only enforcable through taking you to court and the company would have to prove the charge was reasonable for the alleged loss they suffered due to your discretion. most of the time it gets laughed out of court. hence most private companies just threaten and threaten and threaten but cant do fuck all.
Old 29-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

It was in a train station car park... run by NCP.

I'm happy to pay the £50 but seeing as they have put the reg down wrong, how can they trace me if I dont pay it ?
Old 29-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Isaac.Hunt

Originally Posted by Westy

I'm happy to pay the £50 but seeing as they have put the reg down wrong, how can they trace me if I dont pay it ?
The picture they presumably took of your car, showing the number plate?
Old 29-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Isaac.Hunt

In any event, train station car park, run by NCP. What did the Tories do, and how might this effect this situation? Think like Thatcher, lol.
Old 29-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Private property not a council ticket, tell NCP to jog the fuck on!
Old 29-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Private property not a council ticket, tell NCP to jog the fuck on!
Perfect
... no come backs then..
Old 29-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Isaac.Hunt

Perfect
... no come backs then..
Unless they are claiming byelaws, duh duh dummm

But in reality probably not an issue as they don't seem to have claimed byelaws, just a contract issue. There is something about byelaws fines from the mags going to the Crown and not to the ticket issuer if registered keeper prosecuted in mags under byelaws?? Massively outside the scope of what I know. Hence I was not complete in my certainty re it not being possible to go further. Although it probably won't.

In any event, I would not be paying it. I predict maybe two 'solicitors' letters threatening legal action in 7 days then silence.

Last edited by Isaac.Hunt; 29-07-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 30-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Perfect
... no come backs then..

I work for a local authority and I can tell you 100% we have no interest or say in what goes on in Network Rails car parks. As soon as you are in land that is "Highway Maintainable" things get more entertaining