General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what happens if you over stroke a clutch? + hydraulic question...

Search this Thread

Old 27-07-2011, 08:01 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default what happens if you over stroke a clutch? + hydraulic question...

i have just got my car back together and measured the stroke of the clutch at the release bearing
the bearing has a maximum push of about 20mm
i have a std cossie cover plate and an ap 6 paddle centre plate.
i read in the ap book that their cover needs 12.5mm to release.
if i am going 8mm too far will this do an damage?
would i be better off putting a stop under the pedal to limit the throw?

i also need a new clutch master as mine doesnt release properly.
after using the car for a while the slave builds up fluid meaning the clutch slips and i have to drain some fluid from the slave.
the slave is a new 22mm cylinder, the master is an old 0.7 (17.5mm) cylinder
would i be better off down sizing the master to say 0.625 (15.6mm) or sticking with the 0.7 and limiting the pedal travel?

im guessing stay with the 0.7 as its a closer match to the bore of the slave.

what do you think?
Old 27-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

if the manual says 12.5mm that will be the minimum to release. not sure what the maximum it will move on a cossie. remember thats a lot to do withe the release bearing and mechanism. is yours a centre push set up or a normal bearing and lever arm with a slave attached by a rod?? if so you can adjust the rod to get the throw you want and hence pedal throw surely??

in terms of overstroking, is there enough room to do that bear in mind you have the whole mechanism bolted to the flywheel and it relys on small gaps. Surely it will only move so far, then snap the cable (on cossies ).
Old 27-07-2011, 09:16 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

If you over stroke it, then it will make a sticky mess lol
Old 28-07-2011, 08:02 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume then that you did not measure actual stroke of the slave ?, if the book says the clutch needs 12.5 mm minimum, this is the minimum not the maximum, it just means no more push will create any more release, you won't over stroke the slave as it has a stop, unless it is a centre push ?.
Assuming it is on the std arm with a external slave cylinder, and you know the bore sizes and stroke(and therefore CC) of the cylinders you can do a few things to limit if needed the stroke of the slave, if needed make a spacer, this can be just washers, and place these on the push rod inside the slave so the piston travel is limited by the new mechanical stop as opposed to butting the end stop.
You can also alter to pivot point on the pedal, the way I do it, it is adjustable so not only can you select the height of the pedal but also the pressure ratio, using a longer stroke for easier pedal but same fluid movement as a shorter but harder stroke, just reset the pivot point at the pedal, to lose travel of course set the connection point for the master cyl push rod closer to the pivot shaft for the pedal.
The bearing on the clutch arm is about 1/2 way along, so 12.5mm is going to be a LOT more movement when added to the length of the arm where the clutch slave attaches, typically 30-35mm.
tabetha
tabetha