General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The shakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The shakes

Why the fuck you get proper destroyed you get the shakes real bad the next day?

Always wondered but never knew Jus thought again as im shaking like mohammed ali right now and can hardly type
Old 12-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Al Bags
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mate ..

Not good - Dehydration - Ya need loads of tea .. Good Breakfast .. and catch up with extra sleep ... and weigh up yer drinking .. (if its too much, too often!)
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM
caprixpack
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

lol ive never got the shakes after a heavy night never even had a hangover lol altho my capri got the shakes at 129 MPH going down the A500 yesterday
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

too much drugs
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

could be crack addiction
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 AM
caprixpack

unless you were on about drugs then i wouldnt know coz im a good boy and dont do drugs
Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ah i quite often wonder why get them aswell!!

get the shakes not know where you are and get in when its daylight... usually key indicators youve had a good night!!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Phil
Jeebus

Steve have some water and get back to bed mate! I feel shite just had to get up to let someone in to fix the fence
Old 12-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Steve,

The first paragraph explains it, worth reading as It is fatal in some cases.

Problems with drinking alcohol Q & A:

Delirium tremens ('DTs')

This is a more severe withdrawal reaction after stopping alcohol. It occurs in about 1 in 20 people who have alcohol withdrawal symptoms about 1-2 days after their last drink. Symptoms include: marked tremor (the shakes) and delirium (agitation, confusion, and seeing and hearing things that are not there), spending too much money on tuning Japanese Cars, and the compulsion to "bone" every attractive and semi-attractive young female that they encounter. Some people have convulsions. Complications can develop such as dehydration and other serious physical problems. It is fatal in some cases.

There are roughly four 'levels' of alcohol drinking - social, heavy, problem and dependent. As a rule, each level increases the risk to your health and safety.

Social drinking
Most people drink some alcohol. However, even a small amount of alcohol can be dangerous if you drive, operate machinery, or take some types of medication.

Heavy drinking
This is drinking above the recommended 'safe' limits which are:

Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week (and no more than four units in any one day).
Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week (and no more than three units in any one day).
One unit of alcohol is in about half a pint of beer, or two thirds of a small glass of wine, or one small pub measure of spirits. See leaflet called 'Alcohol and Sensible Drinking' for details.

Drinking above the recommended safe limit increases your risk of developing diseases such as cirrhosis (liver damage), damage to the pancreas, certain cancers, heart problems, sexual problems, and other conditions. About 1 in 4 men, and about 1 in 7 women, drink more than the safe limit. In general, the more you drink, the greater the risk.

For example, if a man drinks five units each day (not greatly over the recommended limit) then, on average, he doubles his risk of developing liver disease, raised blood pressure, some cancers, and of having a violent death.

Problem (harmful) drinking
This is where you continue to drink heavily even though you have caused harm, or are causing harm or problems to yourself, family, or society. For example, you may:

have cirrhosis or another alcohol related condition.
binge drink and get drunk quite often. This may cause you to lose time off work, or behave in an antisocial way when you drink. But note: not everybody with problem drinking binges or gets drunk. Many people with an alcohol related condition such as cirrhosis drink small amounts frequently, but do not get drunk.
spend more money on alcohol than you can afford.
have problems with your relationships or at work because of your drinking.
Many problem drinkers are not dependent on alcohol. They could stop drinking without withdrawal symptoms if they wanted to. But, for one reason or another, they continue to drink heavily.

Alcohol dependence (addiction)
This is a serious situation where you drink every day, and need to drink to prevent unpleasant withdrawal symptoms (see below). In the UK about 2 in 100 women, and about 7 in 100 men, are alcohol dependent.

What are the symptoms of alcohol dependence?

If you are alcohol dependent you have a strong desire for alcohol. Sometimes the desire is overwhelming. You have great difficulty in controlling your drinking. In addition, your body is so used to lots of alcohol that you start to develop 'withdrawal' symptoms 3-8 hours after your last drink, as the effect of the alcohol wears off. So, even if you want to stop drinking, it is difficult because of the withdrawal symptoms.

The withdrawal symptoms include: feeling sick, trembling, sweating, craving for alcohol, and just feeling awful. Convulsions occur in a small number of cases.

As a result, you drink alcohol regularly and 'depend' on it to prevent these symptoms. If you do not have any more alcohol the withdrawal symptoms usually last 5-7 days, but a craving for alcohol may persist longer. The severity of dependence can vary. It can develop gradually and become more severe. You may be developing alcohol dependence if you:

need a drink every day.
drink alone often.
need a drink to stop trembling (the shakes).
drink early, or first thing in the morning (to avoid withdrawal symptoms).
often have a strong desire to drink alcohol.
spend a lot of you time in activities where alcohol is available. For example, if you spend a lot of time at the social club or pub.
neglect other interests or pleasures because of alcohol drinking.
If you are alcohol dependent you are usually 'tolerant' to the effect of alcohol. This means that you need more alcohol to notice any effects and to become drunk. This can make things worse as it tends to make you drink even more.

If you are alcohol dependent you may get drunk regularly. However, you may not get drunk. You may drink small amounts regularly to keep the withdrawal symptoms away. You may then be able to 'hide' your problem from others. However, you are still at serious risk of developing conditions due to heavy drinking (liver damage, cancers, etc).
Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Phil
Jeebus

Doug I dont think he's talking about alky withdrawl shakes Just what you get after a heavy bender (I get them if its a really big night out and i'm certainly not addicted to anything!)
Old 12-02-2005, 11:06 AM
rs_daz
PassionFord Post Troll

Get sum more sleep mate..I fooked off about 4am and u was still posting random stuff on here
Old 12-02-2005, 11:07 AM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Get another few pints in you mate that should sort it out
Old 12-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

spending too much money on tuning Japanese Cars, and the compulsion to "bone" every attractive and semi-attractive young female that they encounter.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:08 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Phil,

That's what the DTs are - you get em to a lesser degree after a very heavy sesh..........
Old 12-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Phil
Jeebus

Ooops! I don't seem to have the Jap car symptom though
Old 12-02-2005, 11:13 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

id say dehydration + low blood sugar levels
Old 12-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol@doug, you goon
Old 12-02-2005, 11:22 AM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Has anyone herd of the saying, the hair of the dog? i would just like an expanation to this, if anyone has it
Old 12-02-2005, 11:41 AM
caprixpack

ive heard it but no idea of what it means
Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You been hitting that crack pipe again Ste?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
caprixpack

her is some tosh i got off a remedy site

Take a Hair of the Dog that Bit You.

After a debauch, take a little wine the next day. Take a cool draught of ale in the morning, after a night’s excess. The advice was given literally in ancient times, “If a dog bites you, put a hair of the dog into the wound,” on the homœopathic principle of “Similia similibus curantur” (like cures like).