General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

HGVs on motorway rant . . .

Search this Thread

Old 29-06-2011, 06:37 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of truckers are thick as fucking mince, and deserve no place behind 40 tonnes of truck! These are the cunts that block the middle lane, overtake at an identical speed, & bully car drivers.

The other type of truckers are good polite drivers, who always say thanks etc, just don't get why there is no middle ground? They either seem to be total bell ends or very good?

One thing that does get me is why does the trucker being overtaken not just fractionally lift off for a second or so, make everyone's life much much easier than playing racing elephants for 20 miles?!!
Old 29-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The speed limiters were set in place because 56 is the most economical speed a truck runs at , being the most economical obviously reduces carbon emissions and it was decided when introducing speed limiters that 56 would be the best speed to set it at for everyone involved , hauliers and road safety campaigners alike and the 60 limit was set before speed limiters were introduced onto trucks .
As trucks cant legally do 60 due to the limiter being in place and that in itself is governed by the construction and use regulations the 60 limit will never be looked at , theres no point .

Theres a few companys running trucks now at 52 - 53 ........... Our company is one of them , and their fuel bill has actually got worse since doing this since its no longer sitting in the sweet spot of the revs and at the sight of a hill it changes down much quicker and holdd 11th gear for much longer so theyre on about going back to 56 anyway !!!
Old 29-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I would think it beneficial if all drivers, upon passing thier test, to do a motorway proficiency' course.]
This should be manatory for all drivers, in order to instil some lane discipline and awareness into people.

I passed my test in 1991 after just 10 lessons and i could of just jumped in a car and gone on the nearest 3 lane motorway straight away.

the reason we find our motorways massively congested is two fold:

1. the amount of traffic &
2 the inconsiderate bastards who think they just drive at 60 in the middle lane all day which causes everyone else to use the 3rd lane to overtake them and then pull into lane 1.

too may people just turn off without paying attention to their surroundings.

im sure that with effective training, over time, our motorways will be a less stressful p0lace to be!!
Old 29-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
A lot of truckers are thick as fucking mince, and deserve no place behind 40 tonnes of truck! These are the cunts that block the middle lane, overtake at an identical speed, & bully car drivers.

The other type of truckers are good polite drivers, who always say thanks etc, just don't get why there is no middle ground? They either seem to be total bell ends or very good?

One thing that does get me is why does the trucker being overtaken not just fractionally lift off for a second or so, make everyone's life much much easier than playing racing elephants for 20 miles?!!
Because its down to their training or lack of it , for instance every year in my job my driving is assessed plus I get extra training on things like road awareness , safe and defensive driving , fuel efficient driving etc plus we get the option to do our IAM Commerical which I passed .

Drive for a shit company who doesnt give a fuck , youll end up with a shit driver who drives his truck like his car and whos attitude is just wrong !
Old 29-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by left hooker
leave a bit earlier then
Example - 4am to get to Durham early enough ?
Old 29-06-2011, 06:54 PM
left hooker
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Example - 4am to get to Durham early enough ?
plan for hold ups you will be there on time
Old 29-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

plan for hold ups you will be there on time
Mate thats being a little bit silly isnt it !

How are you to know when a hold up is going to take place ? And exactly how long are you going to be delayed ? If we all had that kind of insight there wouldnt be any accidents and every fucker would be buying lotto tickets !
Old 29-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id say alot of car drivers are thick as fuck, i constantly see idiot car drivers sitting in the middle lane of motorways even though there isnt any other vehicle around,
this in itself causes problems because when i get to a point where i need to over take a slower vehicle weather it be a car or lorry im unable to do so as the only other lane im allowed to use is blocked by the prick driving the car at 50 odd mph in the middle lane,

then on the other hand i may need to over take the said prick in the car in the middle lane driving slower than my truck can go, now what do i do in this situation because im not legaly allowed to undertake but i also cant over take because im not allowed in the outside lane, i have this situation daily! there are far more stupid car drivers on the road than lorry drivers,

ive lost count of the times ive gone to overtake a car that is traveling slower than me on the inside lane and just as i get half way past the wankers put their foot down so i pull back in just for them to slow down again.

i could go on all night about the silly things car drivers do,
the fact of the matter is car drivers are under educated when it comes to trucks and the road, maybe as part of the learning process they should be made to sit in a hgv truck for a few hours to give them an idea of the way they handle and the speed they can do .
Old 29-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh heres an absolute peach thats another favourite of car drivers !

You see a car on the entry slip road of the motorway , so being the professional you move out into the middle lane so they arent panicking about trying to join whilst an artic is right there !

What thanks do you get ? That same cunt youve just been considerate of , will then sit at the exact same speed as you half way down your trailer and refuses to slow down to let you back into lane 1 !!!!!!! Fucking spastic shit cunts !!

Last edited by Deano; 29-06-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 29-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deano

Coming onto a motorway you see a car on the entry slip road , so being the professional you move out into the middle lane so they arent panicking about joining !

What thanks do you get ? That same cunt youve just been considerate of , will then sit at the exact same speed half way down your trailer and refuses to slow down to let you back in !!!!!!! Fucking spastic shit cunts !!

too true mate,
heres another favourite, a car is on the entry slip road, they are already infront of you but instead of maintaining speed or slightly increasing speed and joining infront of you they apply the brakes which now has brought them side by side with you just as the slip road ends!

Last edited by Mark_; 29-06-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 29-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mar_k
too true mate,
heres another favourite, a car is on the entry slip road, they are already infront of you but instead of maintaining speed or slightly increasing speed and joining infront of you they apply the brakes which now has brought them side by side with you just as the slip road ends!
Yeah that normally happens a fair bit when its not possible for me to move into lane 2 when theyre on the entry slip road ! All they need to do is maintain speed or even speed up if they panic !

Oh no on come the anchors and they end up on the hard shoulder and then when they pass you , they flip you the finger !!!!!
Old 29-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Nick 172 Sport
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what do you know knob
Old 29-06-2011, 08:51 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

The speed limiters were set in place because 56 is the most economical speed a truck runs at , being the most economical obviously reduces carbon emissions and it was decided when introducing speed limiters that 56 would be the best speed to set it at for everyone involved , hauliers and road safety campaigners alike and the 60 limit was set before speed limiters were introduced onto trucks .
As trucks cant legally do 60 due to the limiter being in place and that in itself is governed by the construction and use regulations the 60 limit will never be looked at , theres no point .

Theres a few companys running trucks now at 52 - 53 ........... Our company is one of them , and their fuel bill has actually got worse since doing this since its no longer sitting in the sweet spot of the revs and at the sight of a hill it changes down much quicker and holdd 11th gear for much longer so theyre on about going back to 56 anyway !!!
i set all our dhl argos trade team and boots trucks to 52mph on dhl,s say so as they have found it saves then thousands of pounds a month across all there trucks added togther i think its been done all over the uk well has with argos and boots anyway on dafs!

Last edited by ajamesc; 29-06-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 29-06-2011, 09:08 PM
jamesXXX
PassionFord Regular

You see a car on the entry slip road of the motorway , so being the professional you move out into the middle lane so they arent panicking about trying to join whilst an artic is right there !

What thanks do you get ? That same cunt youve just been considerate of , will then sit at the exact same speed as you half way down your trailer and refuses to slow down to let you back into lane 1 !!!!!!! Fucking spastic shit cunts !!
I dont give way for anyone, it causes extra wear on my tyres, and shortens the lifespan of my indicator bulbs

On a serious note, the thing that gets my back up, is motorcyclists trying to come down the middle of 2 lanes of traffic, they can get fucked if they think i am running my tyres on the white line so they can bully there way through, it does upset them
Old 29-06-2011, 09:14 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by jamesXXX
I dont give way for anyone, it causes extra wear on my tyres, and shortens the lifespan of my indicator bulbs

On a serious note, the thing that gets my back up, is motorcyclists trying to come down the middle of 2 lanes of traffic, they can get fucked if they think i am running my tyres on the white line so they can bully there way through, it does upset them
my god that annoys me the im not moveing in this traffic so why should your small little motor bike get through thats why half of you get your mirrors ''accidently'' knocked off (it dose upset them )
Old 29-06-2011, 10:47 PM
left hooker
PassionFord Regular

Mate thats being a little bit silly isnt it !

How are you to know when a hold up is going to take place ? And exactly how long are you going to be delayed ? If we all had that kind of insight there wouldnt be any accidents and every fucker would be buying lotto tickets !
a lot of pepole leave for work with no time to spare so if they get caught up you see them in a flap if they left 10-20 mins earlyer then then would not be late
Old 29-06-2011, 10:54 PM
homer j

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right here goes. this may upset some people, mainly hgv drivers but there you go. in my experience it is down to the fact that people can't seem to fathom the idea of using the lane that is closing as a filter lane. by this i mean driving to the end where it is coned off and filtering in as if it were a slip road. hgv drivers seem to use the bulk of the vehicle and the knowledge that most car drivers will back off instead of cause an accident as an excuse to block the lane to stop other people getting ahead. i've had this many times. and i'm sorry but if anyone disagrees just take a look at how often the que backs up well before the lane closure and just how empty the closed lane is. i've seen it as much as 800 yards. in my honest opinion, if people are too stupid/sheep like to use all of the available road space to make appropriate progress then they have no cause for complain when others do so. it is purely arrogance that makes people think that they control the roads. pulling out on vehicles that are filtering by is dangerous and the sooner these so called professional drivers realise that the better. use the roads sensibly and you won't get half as stressed.

rant over.
Old 29-06-2011, 11:02 PM
homer j

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry mate totally wrong. the 56mph limit is to do with the conversion to kph due to it being an EU ruling. same as coaches being limited to 62mph. due to it being 90kph and 100kph respaectively. it's nothing to do with economy, it's purely european beauracrats doing what they do best. making shit decisions that fuck the rest of us up. the other point you made about 52/3 being less economical is all down to how a manufacturer has geared the final drive etc. you can make anything as economical as you like at almost any speed by speccing the gear ratios to suit. with a legal limiter in place do you not think that maybe the manufacturers simply designed the transmissions to suit?
Old 29-06-2011, 11:19 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick 172 Sport
what do you know knob
I know my Brother is a trucker, and says exactly the same thing. I guess from your reaction, you are one of the cunts then?

Incidently, I do agree totally that most car drivers are total fucking retards as well, driving up the inside of trucks at a roundabout, stealing thier braking space, driving up the inside of them when they are indicating left having moved over to make the 90° turn down a side road ...

Unfortunatly 90% of drivers of ANY vehicle seem to be total spakkers, but with trucks it is a bit more noticable. The worst drivers on the road are taxi's, fucking ridiculously bad for "professional" drivers ...
Old 29-06-2011, 11:24 PM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

this is a sign they use sometimes in America to get people to merge in turn, but as i said before, everyone travels at the same speed, so the cars and trucks can all merge together, works a treat, normally they bring the speed down from 75 to 55 before going past the workmen at 45, everything runs so smooth, i've just run 700 miles in 11 hours with hardly a hold up but loads of roadworks, another 700 tomorrow, maybe more

Old 30-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

motorways 56mph
bollocks

the speed limit on motorways for HGV's IS 60mph. you remove your limiter and do 60, or do 60mph down a hill and it is simply not illegal under the RTA.

they could not do you for speeding. older trucks without speed limiters can and will do 60mph.

construction and use regulations are different to road traffic act....

you cannot get points on your license for doing 60mph in a truck. You could however be fined by VOSA cunts if they could prove you removed/bypassed the limiter.
Old 30-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

a lot of pepole leave for work with no time to spare so if they get caught up you see them in a flap if they left 10-20 mins earlyer then then would not be late
Leaving at 4am mate will make fuck all difference, no commuters about then are there....think about it
Old 30-06-2011, 06:27 AM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Leaving at 4am mate will make fuck all difference, no commuters about then are there....think about it
if your getting held up at 4 am it can't be commuters holdng you up, so leave 15 minutes earlier to avoid what ever it is that is holding you up, i used to leave for work at 3:30am and always sat outside work for 10 mins waiting to get in just so i wasn't late, not that it mattered, i started at 4 to miss M25 rush, didn't have to start till 7:30, but as i was on job and knock i could be finnished by 10am most days and get paid a full day.
Old 30-06-2011, 07:18 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
bollocks

the speed limit on motorways for HGV's IS 60mph. you remove your limiter and do 60, or do 60mph down a hill and it is simply not illegal under the RTA.

they could not do you for speeding. older trucks without speed limiters can and will do 60mph.

construction and use regulations are different to road traffic act....

you cannot get points on your license for doing 60mph in a truck. You could however be fined by VOSA cunts if they could prove you removed/bypassed the limiter.
lol total rubish the limit for a truck is 56mph your tacho is checked for this on random inspection by vosa and the police at road side checks for a start and if your are found to be speeding all the time you will get done for speeding! (it may have been printed in the high way code many years ago that a truck can do 60 mph but it is now law well has been since 1988 that they can now only do 56mph! the police take a very dim view on speeding trucks so do vosa)

Last edited by ajamesc; 30-06-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 30-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

sigh.....

no you will not get done for speeding for doing 60mph in a restricted HGV.

the speeding rules in the RTA are legally seperate and exclusive to the construction and use regulations.

A prosecution of speeding for a HGV doing 60mph on a motorway will NEVER succeed.

The ONLY thing you can be prosecuted for is failing a VOSA check for interfering with your speed limiter.

How can people not see the two offences are completely different???
Old 30-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

oh and another point. This country would benefit from a no HGV overtake rule in morning and evening rush hours on 2 lane motorways and dual carriageways.

I do a lot of travel in rush hour and often the general traffic flow is reduced in speed because of HGVs overtaking miles ahead, holding up the whole world.

IMO the cost of say 7-9am and 4-6pm no overtaking would be minimal to HGVs yet benefit other road users. It would remove yet another cause for the phantom ques on our roads.
Old 30-06-2011, 07:44 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm sure I don't do anything like the mileage compared to some on here, but often do 300-odd miles a week, 99% of which is on motorways, and I would say HGVs are way down the list when it comes to bad driving. Yes you get the odd one who pulls out or does something silly, but most seem pretty decent in my experience.

Coaches fuck me off no end. They should be limited to 56 like trucks are. Yet they don't weigh quite so much, but they carry a pretty squidgy, soft cargo, and the way they're often driven is pretty appalling.

Bikers can be bad too, as said above, running up between two lanes of traffic when it's busy is just beyond foolish. All it takes is someone not to see them and they're skidding down the floor on their face. That and weaving in and out of traffic, undertaking, overtaking, the works.

The biggest culprit is still the good ol' car driver though. Generally management/sales types in Passats, Mercs, Audis, BMWs. Tailgating, undertaking, cutting people up, speeding, not paying attention. The amount of times I've been overtaking in lane 3, doing 70, and one of these prats has been behind me, flashing his lights, waving his arms about like I'm ruining his life, and that I'm an epic cunt for doing the speed limit. You can see these type of people a mile off, and there are just hundreds of them.

BUT, even after all that retardation, there can only be one winner in my eyes. The biggest idiot of them all on the roads is "middle lane man", or should that be "woman". People who just sit in the middle lane for mile after mile after mile after mile, for no fucking reason! They'll just sit there on their own for hours, not even realising what a pain in the arse they're being. It annoys me more than anything else on the roads, it causes hassle for everyone.

But of course, thanks to the government approach that the only way to make the roads safe is by using speed cameras, means that there are no traffic coppers to pull these morons over and tell them how stupid they're being!

Rant over

Last edited by massivewangers; 30-06-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 30-06-2011, 07:45 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

sigh.....

no you will not get done for speeding for doing 60mph in a restricted HGV.

the speeding rules in the RTA are legally seperate and exclusive to the construction and use regulations.

A prosecution of speeding for a HGV doing 60mph on a motorway will NEVER succeed.

The ONLY thing you can be prosecuted for is failing a VOSA check for interfering with your speed limiter.

How can people not see the two offences are completely different???
lol ok then mate and i never said any thing about the construction and use regulations! im telling you the laws and rules we work to on trucks for mot and day to day use and by the way if its not law for it to be limited to 56mph then why after a big accident is one of the basic checks the police and vosa do is check its limited to 56mph and check the tacho to make shore it has not been speeding
Old 30-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by ajamesc
why after a big accident is one of the basic checks the police and vosa do is check its limited to 56mph and check the tacho to make shore it has not been speeding
because the tacho will show if the vehicle was going over 60mph or not. the tacho doesnt stop recording at 56mph.

tacho also shows a hell of a lot more as it shows the decelleration etc ie did the driver brake before impact etc.

thats far more important to any investigation than if he was doing 56 or 60mph....

as has been said on here 56mph limiters is about economy and european legislation not road safety. if it was a road safety issue they would have to reduce the statutory speed limit to ensure untachoed lorries and HGVs are included.
Old 30-06-2011, 08:06 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gibbo frst
its mostly the lorrys that cause the holdups on the a303 at stone henge as they block both lanes from the roundabout for 2 miles up to where the 2 lanes merge. some ive been stuck behind drive like absolute cunts weaving to fill both lanes and even have a go at stopping the bikes getting through.. i can never work out why they dont just either get in their spot in the que or drive to the front up the empty lane that they have been blocking and this would then free up miles of dual carridgeway behind them..
i have to admit that sounds quite annoying,i hate people who block off lanes like that,there are 2 lanes there for a reason,use them both and then filter at the end,but do it nicely,the problem is,that the cars in the outside will ALL be trying to squeeze in front of the truck,like 4 or 5 cars trying to barge past into 1 space,if THAT is the case,then yes,i will move over slightly,ill let the merging happen but im not having the piss taken out of me.
Old 30-06-2011, 08:16 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

because the tacho will show if the vehicle was going over 60mph or not. the tacho doesnt stop recording at 56mph.

tacho also shows a hell of a lot more as it shows the decelleration etc ie did the driver brake before impact etc.

thats far more important to any investigation than if he was doing 56 or 60mph....

as has been said on here 56mph limiters is about economy and european legislation not road safety. if it was a road safety issue they would have to reduce the statutory speed limit to ensure untachoed lorries and HGVs are included.
mate i know what a tacho dose lol i also fit and calibrate them! they check it after to see if he was doing over 56 at the time of the crash as well as if he was over his hours lol and your right it is set for safety the brakeing distance at 56 with 44 tons!
Old 30-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I suspect the braking distance difference at 60 and 56 is insignificant for the roads a HGV would be doing 60 on...

also if it was UK safety rather than european related then why have the national speed limit for HGVs not been reduced accordingly??
Old 30-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by massivewangers
The biggest culprit is still the good ol' car driver though. Generally management/sales types in Passats, Mercs, Audis, BMWs. Tailgating, undertaking, cutting people up, speeding, not paying attention. The amount of times I've been overtaking in lane 3, doing 70, and one of these prats has been behind me, flashing his lights, waving his arms about like I'm ruining his life, and that I'm an epic cunt for doing the speed limit. You can see these type of people a mile off, and there are just hundreds of them.

BUT, even after all that retardation, there can only be one winner in my eyes. The biggest idiot of them all on the roads is "middle lane man", or should that be "woman". People who just sit in the middle lane for mile after mile after mile after mile, for no fucking reason! They'll just sit there on their own for hours, not even realising what a pain in the arse they're being. It annoys me more than anything else on the roads, it causes hassle for everyone.

Rant over
you can legaly do 70 on a motorway... surprise... but the idiots who want to sit up my arse flashing whilst im overtaking in lane 3 get less than that.. sit there all you want , even had one knob ring my office and tell me to move out of the way .. my reply .. im sat in the outside lane doing 70 .. overtaking .. and the bloke infront of me is doing 70 also .. what the fuck do you want me to do...

the car driver mentality of have to get infront of the van just totally confuses me ..

the sitting in the middle lane holding miles of drivers up...
old couple in a car and trailer combo .. its a motorway and they are in the middle lane doing 50 no bugger in the inside lane ...
and they wonder why there are accidents on the motorways .. ok only around 5% but think of all them idiots driving round a town and you can understand why the accident rate rises sharply...
Old 30-06-2011, 09:07 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

I suspect the braking distance difference at 60 and 56 is insignificant for the roads a HGV would be doing 60 on...

also if it was UK safety rather than european related then why have the national speed limit for HGVs not been reduced accordingly??
the national limit for any thing over 7.5 tons is now 56mph if 7.5 tons made after 1992 and if over 12 tons made from 1988 ( that is what they are set to by law ) mate lol im not going to comment again ive had this same argument time and time again over the last 8 years ive been doing limiters lol even had the discussion with the vosa man who comes round every year to check the limiter and tacho stuff we have over 56mph is speeding as by law they are limited to 56 but hay maybe you know better

Last edited by ajamesc; 30-06-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 30-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...E=speed_limits
Old 30-06-2011, 09:35 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

but the same truck is limited by law to 56mph now lol so is not even aloud on the road with out a limiter in place so that is an offence also as its limited to 56 going over that is also a speeding offence
Old 30-06-2011, 09:47 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

you will also find that limit is for pre 1988 trucks over 12 tons as they dont have limiters and you would be hard pushed to get 60 out of one anyway lol over that that 88 onwards falls into limiter law!
Old 30-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

no its not a speeding offence....

the truck is not limited by law to 56mph. it is required by law to have a limiter fitted. the two are very different requirements under law.

ALL of the speed limiter legislation is compliance with gay EU directives and ONLY incorporated into the construction and use laws

speed limits are incorporated into the Road traffic act. with the table of offences such as speeding included.

construction and use regulations do not specify an offence of speeding. it is beyond the leglislations scope because it is covered by RTA.

the whole speed limiter thing has very little basis on road safety and is mostly about emissions. hence how certain euro 2 engined vehicles were able to get exemptions from the limiter rules. having a euro 2 engine doesnt make a vehicle safer.

you CANNOT be done for speeding doing 60mph in a limited HGV. That is a fact.

however you DO break the various construction and use regulations for speed limiters.

two entirely different kinds of offences.

the specific wording in law is VERY important. just because a 56mph limiter is required by law does not imply to do 60mph is speeding......
Old 30-06-2011, 10:11 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

no its not a speeding offence....

the truck is not limited by law to 56mph. it is required by law to have a limiter fitted. the two are very different requirements under law.

ALL of the speed limiter legislation is compliance with gay EU directives and ONLY incorporated into the construction and use laws

speed limits are incorporated into the Road traffic act. with the table of offences such as speeding included.

construction and use regulations do not specify an offence of speeding. it is beyond the leglislations scope because it is covered by RTA.

the whole speed limiter thing has very little basis on road safety and is mostly about emissions. hence how certain euro 2 engined vehicles were able to get exemptions from the limiter rules. having a euro 2 engine doesnt make a vehicle safer.

you CANNOT be done for speeding doing 60mph in a limited HGV. That is a fact.

however you DO break the various construction and use regulations for speed limiters.

two entirely different kinds of offences.

the specific wording in law is VERY important. just because a 56mph limiter is required by law does not imply to do 60mph is speeding......
well ill take vosa,s word over yours lol because on the road with hgvs they have the same stop check fine and penalty enforcement powers as the taffic police who they work side by side with!
Old 30-06-2011, 10:22 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

just asked someone at newbury hgv test station and the 60mph stands for run off on a hill for and small amount of time in there eyes if you are able to maintain speed over 56mph under power on the flat that is speeding and you can get done

Quick Reply: HGVs on motorway rant . . .