General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MID shambles

Search this Thread

Old 26-06-2011 | 11:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Default MID shambles

took out insurance 2 weeks ago on the motor. Yet as of tonight its still showing as uninsured on askmid. checked with insurance company, all is fine, correct details submitted etc.

Now what is the point of having a database the police rely on if it takes so long to update the details?

Especially a database that gives cops the power to seize motors on its say so alone. if your insurer cant take a call or doesnt answer late at night as the accident operators are busy then you loose your car...

Youd think there would be a legal obligation on MIB to keep the database accurate!

What a shambles!!
Old 27-06-2011 | 12:51 AM
Rsmat
300+

Yes you would have thought so... But they would probably give you a producer.
Old 27-06-2011 | 04:12 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I thought they didnt give producers any more matt?? especially since they have automatic siezure rights now?? plus they dont accept certifcates as you could get one then cancel policy.
Old 27-06-2011 | 06:41 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

It's all a scam, call up and complain mentioning the fact that plod might have taken your car and you could have been potentially lumbered with a criminal record and DNA profiled and Potentially lost you job in the security secort and all sorts just because some slack jawed yokel couldn't be bothered to punch some numbers on a keyboard and what compensation they would be willing to offer
Old 27-06-2011 | 07:18 AM
ST24MK2
BANNED

My old focus ST never showed up on the askmid.com as insured after i put a private plate on it, got pulled no end of times, came back insured to the cops but according to the website it wasnt insured, kind of makes me wonder if the site is accurate as we think..
Old 27-06-2011 | 07:31 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Originally Posted by dojj
It's all a scam, call up and complain mentioning the fact that plod might have taken your car and you could have been potentially lumbered with a criminal record and DNA profiled and Potentially lost you job in the security secort and all sorts just because some slack jawed yokel couldn't be bothered to punch some numbers on a keyboard and what compensation they would be willing to offer
A criminal record for an alleged motoring offence? You do make me laugh!

They aren't stupid! Just slack.
Old 27-06-2011 | 08:46 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

You obviously failed to spot the at the end of my compo fueled rant then.
Old 27-06-2011 | 09:56 AM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im always thought that askmid was accurate, I walked to work 1 day as its said my car was uninsured, phoned my insurer and they said I was insured
Old 27-06-2011 | 10:38 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by studabear
Im always thought that askmid was accurate,
It is accurate, it's just not up to date

Old 27-06-2011 | 12:24 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

You could NEVER end up with a criminal record for having your car wrongly seized. Its just a massive inconvenience if the copper is a fucking bellend and chooses not to accept the certificate as good enough evidence and he cant get through to the company itself, which is quite common late at night or during busy periods.

Ive contacted insurers who cant do anything as details have been correctly submitted.

its the principal of a database that the police can and do rely on and use as a basis when deciding to seize a vehicle. And we all know many coppers arent a fan of the modified car scene so its quite easy to have a angry wound up cop for no reason other than the kind of car you drive as they very often make assumptions.

Unfortunately to many cops they see no difference between the decent modified car scene and the mong boy racers with cherry bomb exhausts racing round council estates, so its not surprising they see a modified car, it pings up on ANPR no insurance so i bet they are thinking, "what else is illegal?? no license etc??"

Ive noticed with a lot of traffic coppers these days, you can fail the "attitude test" because of the kind of car you drive before theyve even spoke to you.

Last edited by Psycho Warren; 27-06-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 27-06-2011 | 12:34 PM
vectrac20tsri

and now you have to watch that you don't get a fine through as every car that is not sorn must be insured,Im on my dads traders policy as I help him out and don't have to put cars on the mid for 2 weeks,when I get stopped officer says your veichle is coming up as not insured,I pass my license and insurance document tell him he will probaly see me driving a different car later that night and off I go,feels good that he can't screw me as my next door neighbour got stopped the car was not on the mid but was insured and had her policy at home 4 mile away but he said were seizing your car,her boyfriend who was insured was also not allowed to take the car and in the morning she was £117 lighter and got her car back even though she was 100% legal
Old 27-06-2011 | 01:05 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I'd carry the certificate around with me - I know that they aren't 100% proof, for the reasons you state - but no cop is ever going to sieze your car if you've got a certificate.

Could also be worth getting a letter, or even an email off your insurer about it as extra 'evidence'.
Old 27-06-2011 | 01:11 PM
mick
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I'd carry the certificate around with me - I know that they aren't 100% proof, for the reasons you state - but no cop is ever going to sieze your car if you've got a certificate.

Could also be worth getting a letter, or even an email off your insurer about it as extra 'evidence'.
don't count on it, i had one copper calling the tow wagon while the other was trying to get through to my insurance company, she was only going the extra mile as my son had his ankle in plaster...... having the documents on you seem to mean jack as well............
Old 27-06-2011 | 04:11 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

[QUOTE=warrenpenalver;5519427]You could NEVER end up with a criminal record for having your car wrongly seized. Its just a massive inconvenience if the copper is a fucking bellend and chooses not to accept the certificate as good enough evidence and he cant get through to the company itself, which is quite common late at night or during busy periods.

Problem is, a lot of folk take out a policy and pay monthly, they don't keep up with payments but retain the certificate, and produce it at the roadside, claiming the MID is wrong. So, if you aren't able to check, who do you believe?

Gotta ask, why would the copper be a bell end if the above were the circs? Would he then be a bell end if he let the car go, only for it to hit yours and then discover there was no cover?
Old 27-06-2011 | 04:21 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

The car's only seized if the driver can't prove that it is insured. This is why an officer will ask "Which insurance company are you with?" if you're pulled over because of an ANPR activation and have no documentation on you: so that they can call the insurer and satisfy themselves that it is actually insured. If the insurer hasn't updated the MID, it's them in the wrong, not the copper, or indeed, the driver, therefore, the insurer should be coughing up to pay any storage/seizure fees if it does actually come to that.

You'll only generally fail the attitude test before opening your mouth if the car's clearly not cared for.
Old 27-06-2011 | 04:45 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

i had this for 6months with 1st quote insurance,bunch of cowboys,i had to get a letter sent incase i got tugged.
Old 27-06-2011 | 07:12 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The cops have a direct number just for them, to every insurer in the land, they should always check the insurer as well as the database if the driver says he is insured, though there is no legal obligation to do so, so the nicer you are about it the better.
There are time limits with which the insurer has to correctly register your car on the database, and you can hold them liable for any losses incurred a s a result of their mistakes, this was a condition stipulated when it was set up.
People have many many times had the debts paid under wrong circumstances by the insurer.
Coppers are human, no they really are and make mistakes like the rest of us, most people know the name of the insurer if needed, there is yet more shed loads of paper work when seizing a car so they won't if they can get away with it, but yes the database leaves a lot to be desired, in the event of a cop letting a uninsured car go by mistake of believing the lies, the last man standing rule still applies, so any one hit would still have no problem claiming.
A problem occurs with certain insurers/people as it is ONLY compulsory for uk insurers to be on it, I know Portuguese who are insured with their Portuguese insurers, even being permanently resident here, the insurer has the option of being included on the data base but to date not one single insurers over seas has taken this up.
tabetha
Old 27-06-2011 | 08:41 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by tabetha
The cops have a direct number just for them, to every insurer in the land, they should always check the insurer as well as the database if the driver says he is insured, though there is no legal obligation to do so, so the nicer you are about it the better.
There are time limits with which the insurer has to correctly register your car on the database, and you can hold them liable for any losses incurred a s a result of their mistakes, this was a condition stipulated when it was set up.
People have many many times had the debts paid under wrong circumstances by the insurer.
Coppers are human, no they really are and make mistakes like the rest of us, most people know the name of the insurer if needed, there is yet more shed loads of paper work when seizing a car so they won't if they can get away with it, but yes the database leaves a lot to be desired, in the event of a cop letting a uninsured car go by mistake of believing the lies, the last man standing rule still applies, so any one hit would still have no problem claiming.
A problem occurs with certain insurers/people as it is ONLY compulsory for uk insurers to be on it, I know Portuguese who are insured with their Portuguese insurers, even being permanently resident here, the insurer has the option of being included on the data base but to date not one single insurers over seas has taken this up.
tabetha
I wish there was a direct line to insurance companies mate, would save a lot of messing around. Most companies also only work office hours.

As to paperwork, nope, it's only one form.

And for the Portugese folk, what they are doing is illegal. If they are resident here, they cannot have insurance from Portugal.
Old 27-06-2011 | 10:24 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
I thought they didnt give producers any more matt?? especially since they have automatic siezure rights now?? plus they dont accept certifcates as you could get one then cancel policy.
I got a producer the other month...i swapped to private plate on the thursday before bank holiday weekend...Then got pulled bank holiday monday as the car was showing up as a white focus..(My old mk2 frs)...Ended up showing the police pics on my iphone to satisfy him but still wanted me to produce my documents...And the cheeky cunt had the cheek to ask me does it go fast...So i said yes very fast upto 30...
Old 27-06-2011 | 11:42 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by arch
Gotta ask, why would the copper be a bell end if the above were the circs? Would he then be a bell end if he let the car go, only for it to hit yours and then discover there was no cover?
a copper is a bellend if he has a preconcieved attitude before even speaking to you. Sure most coppers are fine, be polite with them and same back, but a few occassions now ive had officers being both passive aggressive and some physically aggressive before ive even said a word.... on 2 occassions ive had officers open the door and try to yank keys from the ignition. Now sure if id been drivng like a bellend or not stopped for ages you could understand but these were in 30 zones about town and i generally drive sensibly about town....

now sure if someone drives like a twat and gives it the big "i am" when you pull them over, then i could understand a copper having a bit of attitude but id done nothing wrong. Just because he is in a bad mood because of bell end boy racers that populate my area doesnt give him the right to treat everyone like shit.

maybe hed had a bad day but he should be professional enough to maintain composure regardless of his opinions. And certainly id expect even if he had lost it breifly to calm down when he realised im not some CHAV cunt and im not back chatting him.

Sure i did eventually become passive aggressive with him in retaliation but that was perfectly reasonable IMO. I gave him a couple of minutes to calm down and did the "yes sir two bags full sir"bollocks but i will NOT tolerate someone talking down to me, policeman or not. And nor should i tolerate it.

The last 2 times ive been pulled went along those lines. The last one even had the cheek to say "im fed up of wasting my time on idiots like you when Ive got real crimes to solve" He wouldnt even apologise when it turned out i was legal

yes i dont drive the most inconspicuous car and i cant expect all coppers to understand the difference between chav racers and us true petrol heads but id at least expect them to show a bit of common curtesy in the initial encounter.

Luckily ive not been pulled for a few months because id found out after the last stop that you can annoy the coppers further by asking for a record of being pulled over which i could then keep and use in a complaint.
Originally Posted by arch
I wish there was a direct line to insurance companies mate, would save a lot of messing around. Most companies also only work office hours.

As to paperwork, nope, it's only one form.
exactly there are soo many brokers and insurers out there its just not practical.

I dont get why the insurers dont give the 24 hour claim line call centre operators access to check full policy details. Would solve a lot of issues then. Ive had it before when pulled over driving a third party vehicle where i had other vehicle cover that late at night they were prepared to ring the claim line who could confirm i had a policy with them but could not provide policy detail such as provisions for 3rd party vehicles etc. the officer did not have to ring them on the claim line either.

Also would be less numbers then as there are not that many claims call centres as they tend to group them by the whole insurer group rather than individuals.
Originally Posted by rsmat
I got a producer the other month...i swapped to private plate on the thursday before bank holiday weekend...Then got pulled bank holiday monday as the car was showing up as a white focus..(My old mk2 frs)...Ended up showing the police pics on my iphone to satisfy him but still wanted me to produce my documents...And the cheeky cunt had the cheek to ask me does it go fast...So i said yes very fast upto 30...
you wernt showing up as uninsured though???
Old 28-06-2011 | 12:13 AM
LUCKO
Regular Contributor

From: On The Eighth Day God Created Wolverhampton Wanderers

every insurer has the obligation to get your vehicle on the m.i.d as per fsa regulations within 14 days of inception

failure to comply with regulations means insurer can be fined for non compliance

contact the fsa, they ill put a foot in the insurers ass guaranteed

hth

Rich
Old 28-06-2011 | 10:39 AM
vectrac20tsri

"Until youve established probable cause my friend, there is a Roman Maximum in law that says quote- Equality before the law is paramount and mandatory -unquote That means before you have established that I have done anything wrong then you and I are on equal footing my friend no matter what uniform youre wearing so you will treat me with respect and you will speak across to me and not down to me or I will not assist you in anyway shape or form"

seen this on youtube how to deal with north wales police and when I got pulled and they were being complete arses with me I said this lol and they just shut up but this is very true if you get chance watch the videos on youtube very informitve think the guys a lawyer
Old 29-06-2011 | 08:30 AM
gingerxr2
Regular Contributor

i had this few year ago,and tbh i think it was 1st quote aswell,unmarked bmw ,shot onto my mates drive behind me as i pulled on,sirens lights etc,ran to my door pulled me out car and threw me in back of car,i was like wtf,he said youve no insurance,tax,i said look in window taxed it today and insured yesterday,but cause id just gone for cheapest on compare i didnt know the name of company,spent 20 mins trying to tell em,in the end he just let me go,
took my insurance 2 week to get it on database
i phoned em and said what happens if my car gets pounded over weekend?whos gonna pay to get it out?they said they would,but when i asked for them to send it out in writing they wouldnt,jokers