General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

New Drivers ban after 11pm !

Search this Thread

Old 25-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Joshy
Dreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as per statistics suggesting that driving after 11pm is dangerous for young drivers, thats only because its not part of the requirment to learn for a driving licence.

i was massivly unprepared for driving at night for the first time and it really shit me up once or twice with the headlight's blinding you on cirtain roads and short line of sight at dipped beam. if this was tought by an instructer before people passed their test it would massivly negate those statistics.

regarding limiting displacment to 1 litre, that wont help as my 1.0 only has 45bhp and is still capable of reaching 45-50 in 150 or so meters, plenty enough to kill all occupents of the vehicle.

the biggest factor affecting young drivers road safty is all down to inexpirience and big-headedness. skid pans would teach most drivers that there are limits and there not as hard to reach as they may think...

(IMO )
Old 26-05-2011, 11:16 AM
ontheway
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest i can disagree with this etc. but i know its the right thing really... i know i can be quite anti social in the way i ride my moped but it's all relative to the situation.... nor am i a fan of the no more thn 1.1 rule... partly because nobody actually makes a 1.1 anymore theyre just about all 1.2 and partly because i've just bought my first car.... which is a 2.0 ZVH with twin 40's :/
Old 26-05-2011, 11:25 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

The minimum engine rule doesn't work because it don't stop you doing 50 in a 30 and ploughing into someone/something, nor does it stop you driving like a tosser. Even on dual carriageways where 50 and 60mph is allowed, it is more than fast enough to cause lethal and fatal damage if you collide with something. Only way to enforce some sort of limit of to have a mileage limit for the first year. Again, has it's flaws but it might work.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Well if they want to stop speeding, the easy way to do so is a speed limiter linked to a GPS device containing a database of speed limits.

They trialled one years ago so its not like its new technology.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Joshy
Dreamer

Originally Posted by Chip
Well if they want to stop speeding, the easy way to do so is a speed limiter linked to a GPS device containing a database of speed limits.

They trialled one years ago so its not like its new technology.
would be quite simple realy seeing as most GPS sat-navs have databases of speed limits built in already, and lots of new cars have GPS systems already installed into the CAN-BUS system.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshy
would be quite simple realy seeing as most GPS sat-navs have databases of speed limits built in already, and lots of new cars have GPS systems already installed into the CAN-BUS system.
Wont happen any time soon for all sorts of reasons, not least of course is the amount of money they have invested in speed cameras, they'd be fucked if people stopped speeding and they lost all the revenuse I expect but yes as a technilogical problem its a simple one.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:39 AM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

I think more should be done in the driving to prepare you for driving in reality, you should have to drive on the motorway and at night, and in fog if possible, also more needs to be done about risk awareness, so people can know exactly the risks that they take if they drive fast.
Old 26-05-2011, 12:02 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Are the crashes all after 11?

It would no doubt cut down on accident, but thats only because they get less time to drive. If you said women couldn't only drive on even numbered hours and men on, odd, this would certainly cut down on accidents.
Old 26-05-2011, 12:05 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just heard on radio on that co op insurance have started a scheme for young drivers where a gps device is fitted in the car to monitor speed, braking and cornering etc, and they pay on how good they drive so it works out cheaper insurance if they get good results

i have afeeling if this catches on on then the law may make it a requirment for every car to have on fitted as they will see it as they dont need to spend money on speed cameras etc anymore

but with the ban after 11pm it will never happen due to employment for people on nightshifts
Old 26-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Joshy
Dreamer

Originally Posted by xr4x4rs
i have a feeling if this catches on then the law may make it a requirment for every car to have on fitted as they will see it as they dont need to spend money on speed cameras etc anymore
most councils profit from speed camera's lol
Old 26-05-2011, 12:26 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshy
most councils profit from speed camera's lol
not anymore hence why most dont work nowdays as its goes to the goverment, i meant the ones they use coppers for speed vans etc
Old 29-05-2011, 10:43 PM
lanarbar
Virgin

I must say i was quite lucky as i had actually done a lot of night time driving before i passed my test, tbh i actually went out to drive at 12.01 the day i turned 17 , so night time lessons will help although that will be hard in the summer. Not allowing driving after 11 after passing test would be impossible as people working late etc, also out socially aswell. If im honest a couple of night after passing my test i was out till about 2.45 driving.
Old 29-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

The fact that you can now hold a cat c and d license at 18 means all of that will never happen. Young drivers crash because of lack of skill, over confidence and a shit attitude towards driving. Its also easy to forgot that there are lots of people that have held their license for 20+ years that can't drive or are just very un-tidy.