General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Carbon Fibre vinyl. Easy to use? Looks good?

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Carbon Fibre vinyl. Easy to use? Looks good?

Hello,

So i asked about the roof lining the other day but now im on to carbon fibre as the rear "wings" on the outside are now off as ive took the roof pillars off.

So i wanted them carbon as i was thinking it would look nice but will the carbon vinyl look as good as the real deal?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carbon-Fibre-V...ht_5665wt_1141

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBON-FIBER-T...ht_5582wt_1141

Do any of these look any good?

I wanted a long bit as i wanted the roof racking things done too. I was thinking of doing these first then going for the roof lining so i can put everything back and not take it off in the near future.

I know it may seem i am starting everywhere and finishing no where... Well maybe your right! But it keeps me busy!

Many Thanks Eigdoog.
Old 15-05-2011, 06:38 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy to use if you know how to lay it with out getting air bubbles

BUT

looks fucking pikey
Old 15-05-2011, 07:04 PM
ST24MK2
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a complete beginner at fitting this stuff.

My first bit of advice, dont buy the cheap stuff, for two reasons, first, the 3M Di-Noc is the best you can buy, yes its expensive, but expensive for a reason, with the 3M stuff i found i could get bubbles out just by pressing them, where as on the cheap stuff, it just caused a crease which then had to be heated up to remove it and constantly pulling off and refitting the vinyl to remove the bubbles, the cheap stuff also pulled the lacquer off my roof when i removed it, and if you try and fit it and then heat it (as you are supposed to do) to go around curves etc then the stuff becomes unusable as it goes out of shape.

So on the whole unless your very patient or good with this type of stuff id steer clear of the cheaper stuff, i still managed to do a grill surround, diffuser, and a few other little odds and sods but id recommend the Di Noc if you can afford it.

Its quite easy to fit once you get the hang of it, you will need a heat gun (£10 on ebay) felt squeege and some craft knives, and a lot of patience to get it right but the final result is nice

Last edited by ST24MK2; 15-05-2011 at 07:06 PM.