General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

write off's, the law has changed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default write off's, the law has changed

i found this, just to keep you in the picture if you dont know

http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthrea...-never-told-us!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

traders HAVE to

but as far as i know private sellers only have to, if the buyer ask's
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

No private buyers dont, but traders do as Spiky said
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Of course you would have to prove the dealer knows.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealers only have to disclose all the information they KNOW, if they don't know or claim that to be the case, the onus is on you to prove otherwise, in reality unlikely to be able to a thing about it.
tabetha
Old 06-05-2011, 05:43 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

The thing is that traders would normally carry out a check on finance and such and this would normally throw up that it was a write off in some ways , and i know that they might use this to knock down the price they pay then "forget" that it was a write off when they sell on , and yes this did happen as I pointed one out to a salesman where I used to work and he sold it and then when the customer came back he stood there telling the dealer principle he did not know , trouble was the customer was a friend of a friend so I dropped him in it from a great height , he got sacked !!!!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by JonathanJ
The thing is that traders would normally carry out a check on finance and such and this would normally throw up that it was a write off in some ways , and i know that they might use this to knock down the price they pay then "forget" that it was a write off when they sell on , and yes this did happen as I pointed one out to a salesman where I used to work and he sold it and then when the customer came back he stood there telling the dealer principle he did not know , trouble was the customer was a friend of a friend so I dropped him in it from a great height , he got sacked !!!!!!
but since 1997, a cat c write-off must have a vic check before dvla will re-issue the v5/logbook, and then the dvla add a statement saying "that it may been subject to a insurance total loss, or suffered serious accident damage" or words to that effect, so a seller cant hide the fact that it's been written off at some point,
cat d, doesnt need or get a vic check, nothing is added to the v5/log book that its been subject to an insurance claim

my advice is, if your buying anything of value, performance or a premium brand, do your home work, get it hpi'd, because if you don't, it will be a bastard to sale-on
Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tommytwotanks
but since 1997, a cat c write-off must have a vic check before dvla will re-issue the v5/logbook, and then the dvla add a statement saying "that it may been subject to a insurance total loss, or suffered serious accident damage" or words to that effect, so a seller cant hide the fact that it's been written off at some point,
cat d, doesnt need or get a vic check, nothing is added to the v5/log book that its been subject to an insurance claim

my advice is, if your buying anything of value, performance or a premium brand, do your home work, get it hpi'd, because if you don't, it will be a bastard to sale-on
my ERST what cat c'd in 2002 and i put it back on the road in 2005 with no vic check,its just your luck if they want to vic it or not
Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by JamboRS
my ERST what cat c'd in 2002 and i put it back on the road in 2005 with no vic check,its just your luck if they want to vic it or not
i dont have a problem with them going back on the road, ive done a few over the years, but i wouldn't knowing buy one repaired by someone else, unless they had panoramic photos of the car and damage, and the repairs before painting, because they always say, it just had a light tap to the "blah blah" when i fact it was a lot worse

ive bought some great cars that have been written-off, no major re-builds, some that i wish i hadn't bought like car's that had been deliberately damaged so they would be written off, then you spend weeks and ££££££'s on it, only to find that the box is shagged,
another car i bought, when its delivered you dont notice that the ecu is missing, because it's a non runner due to no battery, seller denies everything
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Stevie RS Boy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i have just got hold of a cat c car to do up and sell, what is the issues regarding cat c's? do insurance companies get funny when they are insured, or if they have to pay out again, it wont be as much, i am not up with cat c's
Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Stevie RS Boy
i have just got hold of a cat c car to do up and sell, what is the issues regarding cat c's? do insurance companies get funny when they are insured, or if they have to pay out again, it wont be as much, i am not up with cat c's
insurance companies don't have problems with cat c - d write-off's, you dont get the insurance any cheaper, but if you make a claim, the fact that its on the hpi register will de-value what they would have paid you, i keep hearing that a car on the hpi is worth 30% less than a simlar car not on the hpi
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My astra has been written off at least 3 times now, over about 6-7 years, all small knocks, and is still insured by the same company.
tabetha
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Stevie RS Boy

insurance companies don't have problems with cat c - d write-off's, you dont get the insurance any cheaper, but if you make a claim, the fact that its on the hpi register will de-value what they would have paid you, i keep hearing that a car on the hpi is worth 30% less than a simlar car not on the hpi
Thank You, thats what i thought
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

have to disagree again mate
a lot of insurance companies wont insure write offs and youll prob find that its dearer to insure as the car is seen as not as strong structually than a non cat'd car. prob thinking that if in an accident the insurer is more likely to get more of an injury.most insurers wont tell you they dont cover cat c or d cars but it will be in the small print and its upto you to read it,they will take your money no bother but they have a get out clause to payout.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 PM
howie1989

cat c's on the v5 in specail notes from around 2005 onwards hope this helps i just went to look at a car and owner denied it had a accident but it was on v5 how can ppl be tht stupid
Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry but if you don't HPI a car and get caught out it's your OWN fault IMO! I would even HPI a £500 shitter!