General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Whats the average respray cost....

Search this Thread

Old 31-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Whats the average respray cost....

Im having my Xr3i cab resprayed at the minute.

The garage doing it have a really good reputation for their work and are 2nd to none in the area.

He's charged me £1600

With that he's preping the whole shell, welding a new battery tray in and replacing the boot floor. He's also spraying the boot floor and engine bay. He's also shot blasting and respraying my Rs turbo alloys!

I stripped 90% of the car myself to keep costs down. Ive asked for a few little jobs to be done extra such as, new threads on the manifold, sort the stereo out (no power to speakers), drop the block back in so I don't scratch the shell.

So I imagine the final bill will be 2k. Is this reasonable??
Old 31-03-2011, 07:00 AM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how longs a piece of string.
it sounds like a fairly average price, but all depends on the standard of work
Old 31-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I just thought there would be sort of an average price give or take a few hundred.

The work will be top notch I assure you.

Plkus I can pay what I want when I want!
Old 31-03-2011, 11:11 AM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds reasonable enough, have you seen any of his previous work? Thats where you can tell how reasonable he/she is.
Old 31-03-2011, 11:38 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd say thats actaully quite cheap if hes replacing the battery tray etc to a good standard and not just welding over the top. Especailly as he's doing all the prep and the engine bay etc.
Old 31-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As stated above it all depends on the type of finish your after, i think what your paying is cheap,

look what my m8 got for £1600

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...repainted.html

just goes to show you get what you payfor
Old 31-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Rikochet
PassionFord Regular

£1600 is a fair price if it's good. As with most things you pay for what you get with spraying but it is possible to get a good respray done on the cheap too, I've seen really good ones done for a few hundred quid in the back of a shed and really bad ones done in fully kitted out bodyshops for a few thousand. The best way to find out the quality of a painters work is to see other work he's done. At the end of the day if you're not happy and feel you're being ripped off then go with your gut and find another sprayer. In my opinion though, based on what you've said, it seems like a pretty good deal. You'd pay £200 for a decent shot-blast and paint on your wheels in most places.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:02 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Tev
As stated above it all depends on the type of finish your after, i think what your paying is cheap,

look what my m8 got for £1600

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...repainted.html

just goes to show you get what you payfor

he must have gone mad when he saw that, that is not acceptable at any price level imo.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
he must have gone mad when he saw that, that is not acceptable at any price level imo.
yep!!! the state of the car was shocking, and because its was all done for cash with nothing in writing their is no come back on the painter trading standards didint wanna know!!!!

dont be fooled by other work the painters already done as this guys work before was second to non, he paints high end classics n everything ive ever seen leave his booth has been mint!!!!

I would suggest if you are going have your car painted always put down in writing whats to be done, get the painter to sign it and never pay the whole amount upfront,
Old 31-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Danwood79
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Tev
I would suggest if you are going have your car painted always put down in writing whats to be done, get the painter to sign it and never pay the whole amount upfront,
+1

When I had my car done I payed in instalments so I could see how he was getting on and what had been done.
Old 31-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would budget 2K for a decent spray job and thats with strip down done by yourself and possibly even a little prep
Old 31-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the bodywork on my saph done (I have been) a couple of years ago.

I had it done by a mate of a couple of my mates. To look at their cars, you wouldn't find anything wrong at all, they were excellent so I thought I'd have a bit of the same.

I wanted new rear wheelarches fitted, all the dents repaired, a complete colour change to Frozen White from Diamond etc........... I was quoted £1700. I gave the go ahead and booked it in.

They had the car for 2 months despite saying it would be done in 2 weeks.

I built the car up in their workshop where it all looked ok under artificial light. Picked it up and to Ford Fair a couple of days later and Pissed off was not the word. The sides were ripply as hell, the wheelarches were not the right shape (they repaired sections not replaced the arch like I'd asked) and orange peel in a few places.

I took it back on the Monday and they said they would sort it. They wanted to leave the original arches in place, weld on new arches over the top and blend in but I wanted the old ones cut out which they weren't going to do. In my eyes, the whole car needed doing again which they weren't going to do for nowt and I refused to pay again so that's how it sits now.

I just have to accept that I've been had, take it on the chin and be a bit wiser next time! :-(
Old 31-03-2011, 01:24 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

it will cost him over 500 quid for materials, so 1100 labour sounds good to me, thats only seven days work on a mans wage, and im sure there is more than seven days work there
Old 31-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well the garage doing it rebuilt my mates Rs Turbo for him and did an awsome job!

I have seen 4-5 cars there that have been done and more that are being preped and all looks good. Plus I no him abit aswell which helps.

I paid £500 when he collected the car but will keep dropping money off and checking the car as I go!

The price seemed fair to me I was just curious to see other work done at this price!
Old 31-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar money to the paintjob on my 3 door, that came out pretty well and its lasted ok.

I dont think its unreasonable to expect a decent job for that money, but through the books you could easily pay a lot more.
Old 31-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Fordmad!
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah he said cash would be cheaper. Im worried now hearing some of these stories but im sure it will be fine!