General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sluggish ford focus

Search this Thread

Old 27-03-2011, 01:27 PM
jordanfordfocusbmx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sluggish ford focus

Hi people, I've got a mk1 ford focus 2l for my first car and need a bit of help . Basically there's two problems, 1- the car can be very joltie when putting your foot down, it's the feeling when your in the wrong gear however it's happening too much e.g doing 30mph in fourth and it jolts, someone has told me that this may be the mass air flow sensor but I'm unsure. 2- I have a delay in my throtal response of about 1-2seconds which I'm unsure of the cause. If anyone has any idears what any of that could mean then ur advise is much appreciated
Old 27-03-2011, 02:13 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when was the car last serviced?

whats its current millage?

have you checked the condition of the plugs (including electrode gap) and leads?

its possible the coil pack is failing but i would expect more missfires than that.

check for air leaks/collapsed vacuum hoses especially the fat one from the crank case to the inlet as they tend to collapse over time.

is the engine management light on? has it been checked for fault codes?

these engines respond very well to just a good service and a check over. i've got a 2000 2l focs zetec and it performs very well indeed but then i have serviced EVERYTHING, inlcuding fuel filter and replaced the ht leads. oh and mines got 106k on the clock.
Old 27-03-2011, 04:31 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

As above, the MAFS can "Gum up" and simply require cleaning, but this usually shows itself at 4K RPM +, if unplugged and the car runs better this confirms it IIRC.

Martin