General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO - people in the know about anodising parts

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2011, 05:38 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts
Default FAO - people in the know about anodising parts

I have all the spring platforms and lock rings and top cups from my suspension in the pic below

its all well used and all the anodising has come off so my question is how well would this come out if i re anodised it all? i know it would not be perfect but would it coat ok etc as to replace this little lot is gonna cost just over £100 so if the coating will be a genrally good finish il go for that as it will be alot cheaper

Thanks
Marc
Old 16-03-2011, 05:46 PM
wibbler
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should come out pretty well especially if you do some refinishing on the damaged surfaces to remove the marks on them, stripping & redoing the anodising is a pretty simple process & should come out the same as when it was new.

Obviously where things are worn/scraped/dented that will still be there but the colour should be OK.
Old 16-03-2011, 06:18 PM
MK MOTORSPORT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

hi again marc looking at those parts you wouldnt be happy with the end result ,all those marks and staining in the alloy will just show in the finish plus from the chemicals they use to strip old anodising leaves the parts a dull grey and this shows in the end ie dull colours ,plus i would have thought for those parts would be about £60/ £70 to do

thanks mark
Old 16-03-2011, 07:33 PM
wibbler
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would have thought it would be practical to get the parts stripped, then polish or otherwise refinish the surface, then re-anodise? Which would avoid most of the marks and the dull finish.

Dents & scrapes would still be there and would be emphasised by the colour unless it's all black.

Though if they're worn and there really is only £30 (or even £50) in it then I wouldn't have thought it worth all the hassle if you can get new replacements with a decent finish and no wear.
Old 16-03-2011, 07:43 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks guys,

If it's £50 - £70 to get it anodised then I will replace instead for a few quid more,

Thanks
Marc