General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Focus Electrics!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM
bigkevhoopsfan
Bigkevhoopsfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Focus Electrics!

Well my car cut out a few weeks back, just slowly dimmed and died. (battery light came on a few seconds before). left it for 5 mins and it started again. :/

Died again soon after but managed to get it to my work. one of the helpful peeps said to me get a jump and give the alternator a tap and see what happens....to which the battery light disappeared and car ran fine till now.

Now my other half was out in the car and it died again, same thing. phoned out recovery people they jumped the car and said its not alternator but the battery as the alternator is working fine. (message relayed by non car fan)

i have an old alternator from scrappy, but do i go to the hassle of changing alternator or do i buy a new battery?

some friendly advice needed!

On the dash i am getting D262 error message, and another which means low voltage.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:28 PM
pullo
PassionFord Regular

If the car drives take it to,lets say Halfords who will do a free check for you.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:43 PM
bigkevhoopsfan
Bigkevhoopsfan

I wasnt aware they did that, hmmm. possibly take it down tomorrow then. cheers.

any idea on the codes anyone?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The low voltage code could be caused by a dud alternator or even a bad connection somewhere, I think a dud connection is more likely as the car cut out, but did NOT have a flat battery as it was able to restart.
They have had issues with the main ignition switch contacts burning out but that should/was sorted well before your age of car I thought.
If all Halfords monkeys are going to do is put a metre on the car to read voltage it won't tell you a thing, your battery is obviously ok as it starts the car.
tabetha