General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is this outrageous or am I out of touch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM
tee-rex
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing alot of people don't seem to understand is an MOT means your vehicle has passed the minimum req level which beleive me is very low, if you imagine a scale of 0-100 100 being a new car the MOT currently sits at 30 basically if you have a well maintained car at around 50-70 you will never have a failure.
Also for every rip off story you have i can match them by some truly horrific home servicing where peoples ambitions outweighed their skills
Old 04-03-2011, 06:38 PM
carcollector
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Me too. People need to realise that in a modern workshop we are talking about vehicle technitians, not mechanics. The replacement of parts is the minor part of the job.

Name me one common trade that deals daily with something as diverse and complex as a modern car...
one trade is called IT
Old 04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

The robbing bastards.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tee-rex
The thing alot of people don't seem to understand is an MOT means your vehicle has passed the minimum req level which beleive me is very low, if you imagine a scale of 0-100 100 being a new car the MOT currently sits at 30 basically if you have a well maintained car at around 50-70 you will never have a failure.
Also for every rip off story you have i can match them by some truly horrific home servicing where peoples ambitions outweighed their skills
this guy is spot on, ive seen some horrific things myself
Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
nowadays with electronics alot of the time you lookup the code and this tells you whats wrong
you couldnt be further from the truth mate a diagnostic scanner can easily lead you round in circles showing faults that dont exist a proper technician will have the ability to diagnose a sensor by the readings and parameters it is showing to see wether or not there is a fault with it and a lot of knowledge goes int knowing what to look for in the first place

however there are some spanner monkeys that will plug a computer in and say its such and such that needs replacing then upon replacing said part will then say oh its now showing this needs replacing, and all because they dont know how to interpret what a scanner or ossciloscope is telling them.

the knowledge is what you pay a good mechanic or technician for
Old 04-03-2011, 08:04 PM
xan_lee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by botters
you couldnt be further from the truth mate a diagnostic scanner can easily lead you round in circles showing faults that dont exist a proper technician will have the ability to diagnose a sensor by the readings and parameters it is showing to see wether or not there is a fault with it and a lot of knowledge goes int knowing what to look for in the first place

however there are some spanner monkeys that will plug a computer in and say its such and such that needs replacing then upon replacing said part will then say oh its now showing this needs replacing, and all because they dont know how to interpret what a scanner or ossciloscope is telling them.

That's it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
ezz168
Part of the Furniture

Alot of people who buy n sell cars will buy one for say 200 pound n take it for an mot to see what it fails on as for d.i.yers muost of us have the sence to do a proper job in the first place an our cars will pass there mot no problem
Old 05-03-2011, 07:29 AM
tee-rex

Originally Posted by botters

Right on the money, Off topic a little but a funny little story for you a man who lives at newmarket and travels and works near eye in peterboro took his car to a garage near peterboro in his lunchtime for an mot car failed inner track control arm and n/s tyre with cords starting to show on the inside got quoted around £170 for the whole job, man went home incensed that he was being ripped off by a garage monkey anyway he had a new tyre fitted spent a day and a half fitting his track control arm due to cross threading the new arm not his fault thou (vauxhall must of done it when the car was new) Anyway he decided that he would bring his car to my workshop for a complete new test as we are localish to his home and he told me the car had failed elsewhere on stuff that should have passed but he did the jobs anyway.
I logged the car on and whilst i was sat in it being nosey i saw the old failure sheet in the dash pocket so i had a sneaky look and to my suprise the monkey who tried to rip this man off and don't know shit about anything is harvey gibbs at scs i nearly cried anyway the mans car passed i took his mot to the reception and gave it to him i asked him politly had he ever heard of scs and the kind of work they do, he said nah mate i ate fords there shit my vectra will piss all over em, i smiled at him and decided that i would not waste another second of my life talking to him.
So harvey gibbs is a rip off spanner monkey and all of us in the garage trade are going to hell in a hand cart...............
Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Jeffers_RST
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I do a lot of work for a large company and you wouldn't believe how main dealers rip them off regarding their fleet. One of the vans went in for an mot, and renault quoted them £1200 for a new speedo head as it was 'playing up' the driver wasn't even aware of this. The company, pulled the van out the dealer, didn't look at it again and put it straight in the local auction! Crazy.

I've also had a couple of run ins with main dealers, I serviced and inspected a 10 plate lwb sprinter (which I've loooked after since it was delivered) and I noted oil leak from sump, company put it into mercedes under warranty. I had a phone call from the hire company I did the work for saying mercedes had rung them saying they need to change rear pads as they were boned! I'd only just inspectd the van and I have free rein to replace what I see fit to make sure it lasts longer than the service intervals. The hire company were ofcoarse wondering why I had missed is, I was sure I wouldn't miss it. Told them to pull it from the dealer and it'd be done FOC if is was the case.. Went down to see it and the pads were exactly as I thought, circa 60% life left on their 3rd service I'd done from new so I knew for a fact they'd be more than fine for me to judge whether or not to change them next time.

The company who were hiring the van hate the local merc dealer, I actually did the other sump change. Merc also told em they needed to spend £2500 on one of their old sprinters and the rear diff had 'broken up'. The guy asked me for a 2nd opinion, the bung in the diff had probably never been out since day 1 ( was still sealed in mud) and the oil inside was free of any debris (let alone chunks of pinion) and i trawled it with a magnet. To say the guy was pi55ed was an understatement.
i actually work for a merc commercial vehicle main dealer as an apprentice, and its a common problem with the 10 plate sprinter (or anything else with a 651 engine) for the sump gasket to leak. if im honest, doin a sump gasket is a big job as the sump is in 2 parts. to remove the upper section you have to get access to the bolts which are behind the flywheel, so its prop, gbox, clutch out etc. we wont do any work unless it actually needs doing which is better than a lot of garages!
and diagnostics is never failsafe. dont ever believe what a scanner will tell you, you have to be clever enough to put 1+1 together....
Cheers, Neil
Old 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Not a bad price if it's a Bentley Turbo R