General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
johnyjn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil coolers

Is there a need for a oil cooler when oil like 10w/50 titan pro s can run temps of 100-130 with no problems at all ? I cant under stand having a need for a cooler with a thermostat set to open at 80 !!! Over cooling the oil is not good... Oil works best at its working temp.

What do you think ??????
Old 02-03-2011, 09:21 PM
johnyjn

up....
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a very good point. are there oil cooler stats availible that open at higher temps?

i think the first thing to do is fit an oil temp gauge to see if a cooler is needed.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 PM
johnyjn

Not sure if different stats are available.I have a big wing sump on my 3dr so it has 5 litres of oil in the engine so i should think that would help keep it cooler as well ??? Going to fit gauges very soon to see how the temp behave...
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

could always try fitting some heat sink fins on the sump to draw the heat out the oil but prob wouldn't do much.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM
johnyjn

Up......
Old 03-03-2011, 09:00 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

been thnking about this on our new engine, oil grades are so good now, never got any more 130 on track with my zetec turbo
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point John. Havnt got a clue lol but good point
Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 AM
johnyjn

I had a chat with John Rolands a lab technician @ Fuchs Lubricants about oil grades and temps.He advised me not to over cool the oil and agreed that oil coolers are not needed when you have the correct grade of oil and temp to suit your engine.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:21 AM
rich123

i think the best thing to do john is get an oil temp gauge in the car and then next time you take it on track see what temp's your getting,then you'll know for sure weather you need 1 or not
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 PM
johnyjn

Originally Posted by rich123
i think the best thing to do john is get an oil temp gauge in the car and then next time you take it on track see what temp's your getting,then you'll know for sure weather you need 1 or not
Rich I know that what I'm asking is why use a cooler when it opens at 80 ?
Old 04-03-2011, 01:53 PM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it is prohibitive to some people but we always use laminova heat exchangers for all the oil systems, laminova's have the effect of being an oil conditioner, bringing the oil up to temperature faster and operating within a stable band giving reliable oil tempertures...

We used to suffer terribly with power steering systems that have coolers, in winter they would massively over cool the PSF causing the steering to become heavy and vague, the use of laminova eliminates all such problems.

They are more expensive initally but when you add up the cost of thermostatic sandwich plates and additional pipe the laminova can end up being similar and in the event of a failure and foreign objects being shoved into your oil cooler, a laminova can be stripped and serviced...
Old 04-03-2011, 03:17 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by ian sibbert
I know it is prohibitive to some people but we always use laminova heat exchangers for all the oil systems, laminova's have the effect of being an oil conditioner, bringing the oil up to temperature faster and operating within a stable band giving reliable oil tempertures...

We used to suffer terribly with power steering systems that have coolers, in winter they would massively over cool the PSF causing the steering to become heavy and vague, the use of laminova eliminates all such problems.

They are more expensive initally but when you add up the cost of thermostatic sandwich plates and additional pipe the laminova can end up being similar and in the event of a failure and foreign objects being shoved into your oil cooler, a laminova can be stripped and serviced...
got any links to this laminova stuff, never heard of it before?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 PM
ian sibbert
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.thinkauto.com/laminova.htm
Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM
rich123

its a good point john,with the oils these days is there a need for oil coolers? apart from wrc,rally etc
Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 AM
johnyjn

Up............

Last edited by johnyjn; 06-03-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 PM
johnyjn

Question

Up.............
Old 07-03-2011, 07:41 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

come on wheres the like of oilman, chip, stu and some of the other tuners and track day/racing people on here?? this could be a good thread!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Just got the bits to fit a thermostated one, so also interested in the responses from those in the know.

I assume that the stat will only be doing anything during warmup, allowing the oil to come upto temp quickly.
When the car is used hard i'd expect the stat to be open but not neccesarily keeping the temp just above 80ish, i guess it depends upon the size of the cooler, if it IS OVERSIZED. However, it can always be partially covered when the ambient temps are cool, and fully utilised during hot summer months.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had to run a cooler with my old WRC block but ended up blocking off some of the cooler to try and keep the oil at the proper temp as it was staying around 80.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been saying the same thing for YEARS . On a Cosworth, do not fit an oil cooler unless the oil CONSISTANTLY goes above 120 degrees. The Cosworth rally boys AIM for a consistant 110 degrees, as this is the best working temp for these cars, and it also burns off any impurities leading to better condition oil (if it is kept too cool, condensation can build up from the constant heating and cooling process). Most Cossie owners don't even see the figure the 110 figure, but still think fitting an oil cooler is a good idea LOL.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 AM
johnyjn

Talking

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
I have been saying the same thing for YEARS . On a Cosworth, do not fit an oil cooler unless the oil CONSISTANTLY goes above 120 degrees. The Cosworth rally boys AIM for a consistant 110 degrees, as this is the best working temp for these cars, and it also burns off any impurities leading to better condition oil (if it is kept too cool, condensation can build up from the constant heating and cooling process). Most Cossie owners don't even see the figure the 110 figure, but still think fitting an oil cooler is a good idea LOL.
Many thanks Mike this is what i was thinking and fuchs said the same about burning the impurities in the oil.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by johnyjn
Many thanks Mike this is what i was thinking and fuchs said the same about burning the impurities in the oil.
That's pretty much all you need to know then, aim for 110 degrees consistently, get a gauge on the cooled oil and if it's not above 120degrees then it's not an issue, and if it isn't above 85 degrees you have a different issue- too cool
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

So what happens when you have been blatting around at speed then come to a traffic jam ?, studies in the states suggest that oil typically runs at 30C more than the water temp on average, the above condition causes the heat soak, something that nobody can prevent, spiking the oil temp, I used to see regularly 130C on the road in my 4i for example, with a stat to control the oil temps it is kept as near optimum as possible, can't be a bad system, EVERY car uses it for the water temps.
I wouldn't fit a cooler without a stat myself, just my opinion, don't give a toss what others say, that's up to them, and up to everyone to do what they think is right, but the cooler you keep the oil to a point the thicker it is helping to prevent breakdown of the oil.
tabetha
Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by tabetha
So what happens when you have been blatting around at speed then come to a traffic jam ?, studies in the states suggest that oil typically runs at 30C more than the water temp on average, the above condition causes the heat soak, something that nobody can prevent, spiking the oil temp, I used to see regularly 130C on the road in my 4i for example, with a stat to control the oil temps it is kept as near optimum as possible, can't be a bad system, EVERY car uses it for the water temps.
I wouldn't fit a cooler without a stat myself, just my opinion, don't give a toss what others say, that's up to them, and up to everyone to do what they think is right, but the cooler you keep the oil to a point the thicker it is helping to prevent breakdown of the oil.
tabetha
Maybe on other cars, but the Cosworths already have a very efficient water cooled Mocal cooler as standard, which is equivalent to running a 13 row air to air cooler (which is why I think it is funny that people bypass this and fit an air to air cooler of the same size (13 row), little realising they have gained no improvement - other than increasing the time that the oil takes to get to operating temp LOL (see Ian's comments above regarding water-cooled oil coolers and their efficiencies)) and that maintains the oil at around engine water temp. In traffic I have never seen above 80°C.

On my car, I have retained the original Mocal item and have a thermistatically (95°C, which is a cost option, as most open at 80°C) controlled Setrab 16 row cooler. Because I do track days, my water temps regularly see in excess of 100°C (often sitting at 110°C on 30°C ambient days), which obviously HEATS the oil and then the air to air cooler is used to stabilise it. On track I see perfect 100°C to 120°C temps (depending on ambients).
Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mike
Can the 95oC stats be bought from Thinkautomotive ? as that is where i have recently bought a stat'd sandwich plate from.
cheers
Old 09-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Ridgey
Mike
Can the 95oC stats be bought from Thinkautomotive ? as that is where i have recently bought a stat'd sandwich plate from.
cheers
Yep, they certainly do . You may have to send it back and swap over, as it is an option that has to be specified at time of ordering.... .
Old 09-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I guess for track cars, if a separate oil cooler can be controlled adequately then there is the additional benefit of reducing the thermal load on the water system ?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Ridgey
I guess for track cars, if a separate oil cooler can be controlled adequately then there is the additional benefit of reducing the thermal load on the water system ?
True, but as I said, I don't have any issues with the above set up and 500+bhp.....
Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
simon170

I've got an oil cooler system on my Focus for the first time.
Its a thermostatic sandwich plate with a big 235mm by 25row cooler, but the cooler has a fan unit on it, as there was no room anywhere to mount it in direct airflow.
The oil seems to sit around 85-87 degreeswhen cruising according to the gauge. I dont do track days, its more of a point and squirt kinda car, but got the cooler setup for piece of mind if I do the odd track day or if I get over excited lol

I phoned Matt Potter about speccing them system, as I've never had one before. He said go big on the cooler as the engines doing 100bhp per cylinder, and because of the thermostatic plate it wont over cool the oil.

Do you think its worth getting the higher temp stat Mike?

Last edited by simon170; 09-03-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 PM
johnyjn

Maybe on other cars, but the Cosworths already have a very efficient water cooled Mocal cooler as standard, which is equivalent to running a 13 row air to air cooler (which is why I think it is funny that people bypass this and fit an air to air cooler of the same size (13 row), little realising they have gained no improvement - other than increasing the time that the oil takes to get to operating temp LOL (see Ian's comments above regarding water-cooled oil coolers and their efficiencies)) and that maintains the oil at around engine water temp. In traffic I have never seen above 80°C.

On my car, I have retained the original Mocal item and have a thermistatically (95°C, which is a cost option, as most open at 80°C) controlled Setrab 16 row cooler. Because I do track days, my water temps regularly see in excess of 100°C (often sitting at 110°C on 30°C ambient days), which obviously HEATS the oil and then the air to air cooler is used to stabilise it. On track I see perfect 100°C to 120°C temps (depending on ambients).
Any pics of your set Mike where the water cooler is.Many thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Any pics of your set Mike where the water cooler is.Many thanks
Every Cosworth has a Mocal oil cooler as standard - just look at the sandwich plate where the oil filter goes (2wd) or in this picture (4x4).....
Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by simon170
I've got an oil cooler system on my Focus for the first time.
Its a thermostatic sandwich plate with a big 235mm by 25row cooler, but the cooler has a fan unit on it, as there was no room anywhere to mount it in direct airflow.
The oil seems to sit around 85-87 degreeswhen cruising according to the gauge. I dont do track days, its more of a point and squirt kinda car, but got the cooler setup for piece of mind if I do the odd track day or if I get over excited lol

I phoned Matt Potter about speccing them system, as I've never had one before. He said go big on the cooler as the engines doing 100bhp per cylinder, and because of the thermostatic plate it wont over cool the oil.

Do you think its worth getting the higher temp stat Mike?
That's your decision LOL. What were the temps before the oil cooler was fitted?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On my Audi RS4 engine, there is a water to oil cooler, and an air to air cooler which kicks in at 103C.

Rick
Old 10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
johnyjn

Every Cosworth has a Mocal oil cooler as standard - just look at the sandwich plate where the oil filter goes (2wd) or in this picture (4x4).....
Did you use a remote oil filter housing with your Setrab oil cooler,more pics of your setup please Mike.Many thanks....
Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 AM
simon170

That's your decision LOL. What were the temps before the oil cooler was fitted?

Not sure, the oil temp gauge went in at the same time as the cooler setup. Although the 85-87 has been on cold days (not had the car back long from its rebuild) and yet to be run in summer.

If this was your car (I know I know... Its not a Cossy) would you stay with the normal stat or get the higher temp one? Be interestedto hear your opinion.

BTW I took your advice you gave me on suspension when we chatted at Brands last year. Many thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

My cossie dosent get any hotter than 100deg and thats on a hot day here in oz.. Iv got a big wing sump mind you
Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Did you use a remote oil filter housing with your Setrab oil cooler,more pics of your setup please Mike.Many thanks....
No, that is my engine above .

The sandwich plate (just) fitted on the end of the 4x4 extension piece by using a smaller oil filter.

It's so tight in my engine bay that it is very hard to see everything LOL: