General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

focus RS Vs Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 PM
sufsRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus RS Vs Civic Type R

wots the better all round car with regard 2 handling and performance??? can any1 provide engine power, 0-60 0-100 times, top speeds, torque, handling??? in my view the type r is nice but u have 2 wait til the top of the rev range 2 unleash the power and its ashame honda dnt knw wot torque is , ive never driven the focus rs and was considering gettin one in few months cheeRS
Old 03-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Kev H on here has a Type R and seems really happy with it.

Having driven the FRS though they are a bit more special and not as common. After driving one I was very impressed.

I think the FRS makes about 220bhp and the Civic makes 198. IIRC
Old 03-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't really compare the two, as the RS is considerably better, but commands a significant (Ł4k) premium for that privelege...
Old 03-02-2005, 02:52 PM
sufsRS

i knw the frs is quite bit more expensive, but end of day fords have better value anyway, and i fink the type r was made 2 compete with the likes og the focus rs, just wanted 2 knw more info on the 2 rely they are kinda the same bhp, and another question 2: hw would 170-200bhp rst compare to the type r????
Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 PM
caprixpack
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

defo the ford rs but then your on a ford forum so what do you expect
Old 03-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Gaaables

id go for the focus, my mate has one and he loves it
Old 03-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

I have completely blown the doors of a couple of Civic Type R's once on the go. They do handle very well though and knock the spots off an RST on that front.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Mint FRST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

When I could get the traction my old 175 Bhp FRST could match a CTR quite easy. However, when it came to braking and going round corners that was all together a different story!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a twisty track id choose the CTR i guess, but on the road id take the focus, especially as the focus is cheap to get a big power hike over standard and the civic isnt.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
I'd say that the other way round, as the CTRs don't have an LSD...
Old 03-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Mike, having driven both, id say the civic is more nimble and easier to keep in the power.
Depends on how you drive i guess.

ITR is far better than both anyway IMHO, hence i own one of those and not a focus rs or a CTR, lol
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

All the road test i have readed they said the Focus RS was by far the better car around track
Old 03-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

I drove Robs FRS round Brunters and it was fookin awesome Loadsa grip and feel
Old 03-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i agree with chip that the integra type r is better than both
Old 03-02-2005, 04:28 PM
rZVCh46Nv
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

A CTR has quite low torque figures in relation to the power band. You might want to take the FRS' number into consideration on that front.

The upside of the FRS is the way the power is delivered. The boost begins from a lower stage in the rev range, which should, in theory, make it considerably more drivable. That said, if you like keeping the needle up and the revs high - consistently making use of the VTEC is the way to do it.

Another thing to note - there has never, ever been one standard VTEC engine returned to the factory. None have ever failed. But this is an enthusiasts site, so the chances are, that you may modify the engine on either.

I think the interior in the FRS is nicer, but as people have said previously on here - this is a Ford-loving site.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
i agree with chip that the integra type r is better than both
who mentioned the integra?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ITR is far better than both anyway IMHO, hence i own one of those and not a focus rs or a CTR, lol
Rhys,
Old 03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

all I can say FRS would kill a Type R on the track
Old 03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok I own a Type R and have for a year or so but in the spring summer (if i dont pull my finger out sooner) Im gonna buy a FRS cos im Ford head @ heart heres my waffle on the subject

standard for standard in a straight line pub talk street race fuck all init beleive me I have tried from 2nd 30mph to 6th 130+ and the FRS wasnt catching

BUT on a track the Focus RS is quicker due to handling The ride out I had in a dunton test Mule FRS was amazing it does things no FWD should do even my mate was shocked and he has a Esc cos

The lack of touque on the type r doesnt matter as long as you drive it properly ie vtec zone the mother bitch all the time the engine was built to rev and does like to

The Focus is more tuenable both have the faults the Focus diff on un even roads its fooking horrible interior the Civics has noisey cabin and fact u have to check oil every fuel stop etc

but then get a championship white import civic with 220bhp LSD etc etc which cost the same as the FRS and I bet the is nothing init

The Focus RS has the higher price tag and is maybe the better all round package but pound for pound the Civic wins IMO

PS Vtecing is fun (especially with after market air filter which gives u ur own race car noises ) its like the fist time you had a dump vavle
Old 03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
sufsRS

nice one kev sum gud info so the type r is quicker on a straight dint expect that at all!!!!! how due fink you wud do against a 200bhp rst on a straight???? bearing in mind your alot heavier, maybe 300kg more??? hw much does the frs weigh?????
Old 03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by sufsRS
nice one kev sum gud info so the type r is quicker on a straight dint expect that at all!!!!! how due fink you wud do against a 200bhp rst on a straight???? bearing in mind your alot heavier, maybe 300kg more??? hw much does the frs weigh?????

well standard for standard every time ive come up against em which has been 2 at once and 1 on the way to national day i can creep away maybe i drive mine harder wish i could say the same for the Audi A8 that totally wasted me last year

as goes a 200bhp RST I used to own a 180bhp ERST which i would say would loose the Civic is way easy to drive but a proper 200bhp in a straightline I reckon I would loose until the first corner
Old 03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
woolz
Virgin

thought id just make a quick comment! i own a type r, and have been out in my m8s focus Rs and driven it quite a few times before he sold it to buy a Type R. problem i think wiv the type r is the traction/handling (although if your a good driver apparenlty these are good on tracks)/vtec point is quite high!. bad things about focus Rs is- turbo is too high for a tubo'd car,has a lot of torque stear and the interior is a nono. off the line its down to the driver, sometimes i would win-sometimes id loose. they are too equal to split. Rs handles better, but if u dont like rock hard suspension then u wont like it. out of the turbo on the Rs they are terrible aswell. the RS is a lot more tunable than the civic aswell due to its turbo.
so good and bad points for each, im happy with my civic and if i wanted to upgrade i wouldnt buy a FRS, and the same goes for FRS driver i spose, but the main reason why my m8 did change to a typeR is cus he thought the typeR was better on petrol LOL
Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

If you think the FRS has bad torque steer try a big power RST. It's like your arm wrestling the damn thing all the time

Welcome to the site BTW
Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 PM
woolz
Virgin

haha! yeh i bet, i love 'big powered Rst's', me and m8 my got woooped by a black one, when we was in his FRS lol!
Old 04-02-2005, 11:13 AM
sufsRS

lol conclusion is big powered rst rules!!!!! thnx 4 the feedback tho guys good comments on both cars,
Old 04-02-2005, 12:04 PM
DmcL
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

not knocking the focus but personally even if the focus is quicker id take the CTR, ITR would be even better tho..

imo nothing beats the fun factor of a high revving honda.. not to mention theres a sea of aftermarket parts available.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol conclusion is big powered rst rules!!!!! thnx 4 the feedback tho guys good comments on both cars,
Rusty Bean Tin
Old 04-02-2005, 12:06 PM
sufsRS

Originally Posted by DmcL
not knocking the focus but personally even if the focus is quicker id take the CTR, ITR would be even better tho..

imo nothing beats the fun factor of a high revving honda.. not to mention theres a sea of aftermarket parts available.
have u seen the "sea of aftermarket parts available" for the FRS
Old 04-02-2005, 12:11 PM
XRTypeRS

My 170 BHP RST Cab (i.e. heavier than a normal RST) will stay with a standard CTR in a straight line however as many others say the CTR will destroy me in the "twisties"
Old 04-02-2005, 12:14 PM
DmcL
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

have u seen the "sea of aftermarket parts available" for the FRS
yep.. still prefer a honda tho. but then thats just because i had a civic before and went anal on it, learned just about everything that has been or can be done to civics from the 3rg generation up to the EK's, before honda decided to start putting their engines in the wrong way round
Old 04-02-2005, 12:50 PM
M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Focus RS is coming down in price all the time though, there's a few around the Ł15500-Ł16000 mark now.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by XRTypeRS
My 170 BHP RST Cab (i.e. heavier than a normal RST) will stay with a standard CTR in a straight line however as many others say the CTR will destroy me in the "twisties"
no offence but noooooooooo it wouldnt cos my 179bhp 196 f\t wasnt as quick and your cab is way heavier
Old 04-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A proper rst ie 180hp+ would destroy a civic type-r i have driven both cars there is no contest in a straight line. I however would prefere an integra which ARE quicker better equiped cars imo. Flame proofs at the ready
Old 04-02-2005, 01:02 PM
sufsRS

s2 rst weighs bout 950kg ctr weighs 1250kg is that rite???? wot bout the cabby wots the kerb weight on that???
Old 04-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not sure but its not just the power/weight ratio that comes into it there are a lot of other factors, ie TORQUE. Hondas are lovely cars and i will probably end up with a integra next hopefully, but the truth is that ctr's are only a little quicker than my old crx vtec which made 156hp
Old 04-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Smudge

I to have a Civic Type R, had it 4 months now and I must say I love it. I considered the Focus but the interior just spoils the car.

Cant really comment on performance as I haven't been in a Focus but the Civic is awesome. When you hit 6000rpm, Vtec kicks in and its like the car changes and just loves revving.

The comments on a 180 bhp - 200bhp RST, dont care what ppl say been there, my Type R wasted my mates 205bhp rst on a A to B route, not much in it on straight line but under braking and handling, the RST did not have a hope in hell of staying with a Type R, and I dont rate my self as a Driver at all.

My only advice would be to go and try both, you may be supprised

Smudge
Old 04-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The comments on a 180 bhp - 200bhp RST, dont care what ppl say been there, my Type R wasted my mates 205bhp rst on a A to B route
No offence but there are some bullshit power figures floating about, I to have proved the fact that a DECENT rst will aniolate a ctr end of. I actually crashed me mates 210hp series2 racing a ITR wasted him of a roundabout top flat out in 5th then went over the next roundabout instead of round it . So conclusion is erst is quicker in a straight line but THE CIVIC IS A BETTER ALL ROUND PACKAGE IMO
Old 04-02-2005, 01:58 PM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

we were at goodwood last wednesday with my m8 who was tracking his type r , they do handle well but the thingthat really impressed me was the fact it was revving at over 6000rpm all day and didnt blow up not many fords can claim that title
i,d still rather have a focus rs tho
Old 04-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the thing with the hondas is they are so fun to drive and feel way faster than what they are. I would quite happily sell me cossie tomorrow buy a minty crx vtec again and just bag the extra money. For 2k there is no contest
Old 04-02-2005, 03:09 PM
XRTypeRS

no offence but noooooooooo it wouldnt cos my 179bhp 196 f\t wasnt as quick and your cab is way heavier

Ahh but your CTR is a red one, this one was black....

Seriously though I can only go on my experience, it was only a 20 to 80 MPH blast though as it was on a short piece of dual between 2 roundabouts, maybe that wasnt enough distance for the CTR to get into the vtec zone properly but Im pretty sure he was giving it the max by the grin he gave me at the previous roundabout!! . I also have slightly more torque now from running 10 pounds of boost, maybe 210ish lb/ft (was rolling roaded at 14 psi peak 12 held - 181 HP / 241 lb but I have wound off the boost as Im saving for a house!! ). Also I wouldnt be sure the cab weighs more - standard kerb weight in XR3i form is 998KG - add maybe 100KG more for turbo bits (worst case), still less than a CTR??. However I confirm again, my handling is totally shat, I dont think my car would even keep with a standard 1.6 civic down a bumpy B road!!

However all that aside I totally agree the CTR is a great car, great performance for the price, reliable, pretty good looking - one of my best mates also had an integra and it never skipped a beat dispite being thrashed to within an inch of its life day in day out - top engines!!

At the end of the day its what you want out of a car, the CTR is a fun fast car that is also comfortable for days when you just want a quiet chilled drive to work and back, a big power RST can (IMO) probably be more fun, with the turbo torque rush, but can be a pain to live with day to day with all the rattles and problems - all down to personal peference in the end!

Maybe the FRS is the best (yet expensive) compromise between the two???, or dare I say it... even a scooby???

Quick Reply: focus RS Vs Civic Type R