General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Zetec Help

Search this Thread

Old 22-01-2011, 04:38 PM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zetec Help

just got the Mrs a 2.0 Focus, 2002. All seemed fine on the test drive, but on the way home the idle started buggering about. Grrrrr

After a bit of research it seems to be a fairly common problem, which I'm glad about! Looks like it messing about when getting warm, going from normal idle to just under 2000 rpm, to stalling at times.

I'm going to investigate further, and replace the ISCV and PCV if needed, but....

There's a curly pipe coming from the bulkhead to what I'm guessing is the fuel rail with push connectors, now I would have thought (rightly or wrongly) that this is the fuel in, but it seems to be a very loose fit and sounds like it's pissing air out..... Is this the fuel rail, and if so, is the noise fuel under pressure?

Didn't take a pic, and can't bloody find one! Hope someone can help.

Edit: Maybe i should've posted this in the technical help section? Mods, please feel free to move if needed. Sorry!

Last edited by northernmonkey; 22-01-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Coz I'm stooopid.
Old 22-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Magnum PI
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Shudda bought the 1.6 like you were asking about earlier

i would first try cleaning the ISCV in carbon cleaner overnight.
I would also check the Vehicle speed sensor is working correctly (as you say it smetimes wants to stall)

Are you speedo clock lights also flickering on idle? if so I would also check all the eathing points in the engine bay for corrosion, just to make sure the idle issue isnt actually an electical problem due to simply a bad earth.

Hope this helps
Old 22-01-2011, 05:18 PM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

Ha Ha, yeah i know but the bodywork on the 1600 was shite! I've had this problem on my mondy duratec and it turned out to be a pipe under the inlet manifiold, as i said though, it didn't show itself till nearly home.

Speedo clocks not flickering, and speedo working all ok.

Cheers for the suggestions, there is a broken earth which goes to the engine lifting hook thing, but if i can still hear air pissing from the fuel (i think) inlet and also when it tuen off, i can hear hissing for a few seconds.

Poxy fords! lol
Old 22-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Monkey boy think thats a vac line if it was fuel youed have a fuel leak ? need pic !
Old 22-01-2011, 07:45 PM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

yeah, i can smell fuel, i'm almost sure it is a fuel line but the hissing is confusing.

I'll go out now, see if i can get one, it could be dark though! lol

Edit; here,

Last edited by northernmonkey; 22-01-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 22-01-2011, 08:14 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by northernmonkey
yeah, i can smell fuel, i'm almost sure it is a fuel line but the hissing is confusing.

I'll go out now, see if i can get one, it could be dark though! lol

Edit; here,

that looks like the fuel return pipe coming from the fuel pressure regulator , indicated by the red ring and on the other end there should be one with a white ring the fuel supply
if you can see petrol leaking from the pipe then dont drive it and get anew one from ford

cheers paul
Old 22-01-2011, 08:19 PM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

Cheers Paul. That makes sense, so, the hissing would indeed be the fuel pressure. Bugger, that ain't gonna solve the tick over problem!

Thanks again mate.
Old 23-01-2011, 02:00 PM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

Just to update anyone that's interested.

Took it round to mark_24v_wiring this morning who plugged it in (EML light come on during the journey over!) He looked at the fault code, then did a live read.

Turns out the upper and lower o2 sensors are all over the place and by the sounds of the exhaust etc and the readings, it looks like the cat has gone. Bugger!!!!

Not a cheap fix, but apparently it will sort out the bad running, shit tickover and when done, it should get back to normal power!

The fuel return is all good too. So thanks for the replies and help everyone.
Old 23-01-2011, 02:32 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by northernmonkey
Just to update anyone that's interested.

Took it round to mark_24v_wiring this morning who plugged it in (EML light come on during the journey over!) He looked at the fault code, then did a live read.

Turns out the upper and lower o2 sensors are all over the place and by the sounds of the exhaust etc and the readings, it looks like the cat has gone. Bugger!!!!

Not a cheap fix, but apparently it will sort out the bad running, shit tickover and when done, it should get back to normal power!

The fuel return is all good too. So thanks for the replies and help everyone.
shitter about the cat , but when you fit a new one (even if a garage does it) make sure you ask for it back then take it to the scrap yard as you can now get upto anything from Ł40 to Ł140 for your old one
it may help pay for your new one

cheers paul

Last edited by zetaboostboy522bhp; 23-01-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 23-01-2011, 03:05 PM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

Not that many yards around us, but i did hear the price had dropped again. Be interesting to find out!

Yep, as the tesco advert says, every little helps! I just hope this sorts it now, I've been in faster funeral cars!