General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford Galaxy engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
sikora
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Galaxy engine

A friend of mine is looking at Ford Galaxys and has been offered one that needs a new engine. Its a 2001 1.9 tdi
Are these vag engines? Could we simply use any 1.9 vag engine of similar age as a replacement or is it specific to the Galaxy?

Also, does anyone have an idea what the car is worth without its engine? It's a Ghia model with 150k miles
Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
gouch1
Advanced PassionFord User

yes they are vag engines pd i think good if serviced regular
2001 no engine 300 to 800
with engine 1200 to 2300 just my opinion
Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

That car if the body is good would make 3-4k as a running car, I have one (though the VAG variant) even with that mileage pal, so base the value on what ots gonna cost you to put it right, what wrong with the motor?

they are pretty basic and usually bullet proof if looked after.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Do fetch strong money,mate just sold a t reg td with 205k and rough as fuck for £800.

Think £4k's a bit optimistic although a lot depends on how good the replacement motor is.sure their the same,just a bit of stripdown required.don't forget the passat is longitudinal mounted and the golf,bora etc are transverse.no major dramas just far more stripping down.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 PM
first_cosworth
Regular Contributor

trade is £1850 in excellent condition for a ghia.so would need to be sub £500 and in good condition to be worth it.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 PM
sikora
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by markk
That car if the body is good would make 3-4k as a running car, I have one (though the VAG variant) even with that mileage pal, so base the value on what ots gonna cost you to put it right, what wrong with the motor?

they are pretty basic and usually bullet proof if looked after.
Its only got half an engine in it at the moment. It had overheating issues due to the water pump playing up. It sat in a garage that went bust for about 12 months before the owner managed to get it back. Its missing the cylinder head and maybe a few other bits. Need to go see it for a proper check
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
Do fetch strong money,mate just sold a t reg td with 205k and rough as fuck for £800.

Think £4k's a bit optimistic although a lot depends on how good the replacement motor is.sure their the same,just a bit of stripdown required.don't forget the passat is longitudinal mounted and the golf,bora etc are transverse.no major dramas just far more stripping down.
I work with these all day, and have done for many years (the VAG versions) so unless the ford variant drops price dramatically (though I only bought mine 5 month ago and looked at galaxy too and the price was nothing between them) then i still say if its good it will pull near 4K

Originally Posted by first_cosworth
trade is £1850 in excellent condition for a ghia.so would need to be sub £500 and in good condition to be worth it.
they never come in at trade pal, the 7 seaters always make more than book.

Originally Posted by sikora
Its only got half an engine in it at the moment. It had overheating issues due to the water pump playing up. It sat in a garage that went bust for about 12 months before the owner managed to get it back. Its missing the cylinder head and maybe a few other bits. Need to go see it for a proper check

you need someone to look at the engine who knows them well pal.

Trending Topics

Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

tell him not to bother - he can have my 2002 2.3 with LPG conversion with bodywork in good condition for £2500.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
first_cosworth
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by markk
I work with these all day, and have done for many years (the VAG versions) so unless the ford variant drops price dramatically (though I only bought mine 5 month ago and looked at galaxy too and the price was nothing between them) then i still say if its good it will pull near 4K

they never come in at trade pal, the 7 seaters always make more than book.

you need someone to look at the engine who knows them well pal.

maybe you are paying to much for them!
Old 15-08-2012, 10:24 AM
drive me crazy

Default buying a ford galaxy

I would of said value would be around £600 providing you can buy a decent motor and whether you can get it fitted cheaply value on the car running tax&mot about £1800-2000 , i have a 51 plate insured 2500 they had no queries on value problem i got i just paid out £500 for timing belt & service when i took it for mot it passed but mechanic noticed oil coming from the intercooler turbo oil seals gone which left untouched will blow the engine .so if you buying, or reconing check both sides of turbo for oil. early indications im looking at another £500 shame i dont know what to do now lashed out £750 with tax etc ,its a lovely motor 6 seater 6 speed and i reckon its been chipped up it leaves my fiat jtd for dead 94000 on the clock and at 60 on the motorway 60 mpg on the computer ,i lost faith in it now cant decide what to do ith it?
Old 15-08-2012, 10:26 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by drive me crazy
I would of said value would be around £600 providing you can buy a decent motor and whether you can get it fitted cheaply value on the car running tax&mot about £1800-2000 , i have a 51 plate insured 2500 they had no queries on value problem i got i just paid out £500 for timing belt & service when i took it for mot it passed but mechanic noticed oil coming from the intercooler turbo oil seals gone which left untouched will blow the engine .so if you buying, or reconing check both sides of turbo for oil. early indications im looking at another £500 shame i dont know what to do now lashed out £750 with tax etc ,its a lovely motor 6 seater 6 speed and i reckon its been chipped up it leaves my fiat jtd for dead 94000 on the clock and at 60 on the motorway 60 mpg on the computer ,i lost faith in it now cant decide what to do ith it?

erm this is a 18 month old thread
Old 15-08-2012, 10:35 AM
drive me crazy

oops didnt notice the date but anyone care to comment on my galaxy or even an offer it would be appreaciated