General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ford focus st 170

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
benidormsteve
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford focus st 170

trying to find out about the ford focus st170........any good? pros and cons?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
caprizetec170
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I had one for over 2 years never had any bother other than replacing usuall service parts. probably one of best handling cars ive ever driven and very easy to live with day to day. only down side is i think ford were bit optomistic with there mpg figures
Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
stevos
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Just bought one about a month ago.Got mine for a steal.
Am having a small issue just now with my eml light coming on and off every now and then but its down to the inlet manifold runner controll box going faulty.Will have it fixed soon though.
As above they can be pretty gready on fuel if driven hard.
very good handling cars as well
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

There a good car. They are well spec.ed too. Shame they arnt very fast.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM
melinamotor
Farpylee

I have one and bought it to save fuel over the ST mondeo I had my only gripes are the notchy gear change and the seating position being too high. MPG is worse than the CTR I sold a few years back but better than the thirsty V6 Mondy.Although the car is slower it handles much better and instills more confidence carrying speed through the corners. Engine needs to be worked hard to get the best out of it but its comparable to most 90's hatches that were quick enough back in the day. Otherwise its a stiffer better looking Mk1 focus only surpassed by the RS and T models. The clutch is noticably heavier then the MTX75 gearboxed zetec Focus I also run but the brakes far superior.

I have replaced the dash light control dial (kept flickering) Cat, lambda sensors, tyres and belts. All this was done for peace of mind and it hasnt skipped a beat thus far since February last year. Mileage is currently 80k. I avoided expensive to replace options such as xenons because resale value means zip to me, I have standard seats and a/c too. Its a nice all rounder for family transport and fun in one package. Like I said the gearbox needs to be warm before it smoothes out but is far from the silky five speed in the standard car.
Have you thought about a CTR?- best gearbox ive ever used only the steering let the car down.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 PM
benidormsteve
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Some good advice there guys
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Was looking at these earlier. Think they're fucking expensive for what they are to be honest!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 PM
bazza250

For around 3k for a decent one,i think they are good value for money.
Had mine 6months,i use it daily i get 30-35mpg at best.
Handles great as stated,goes ok once the revs are up.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We've had one one for 3 years now. Its had all the usual niggles but generally it's a nice car. I'll agree about the gearchange too, once its warm its ok. I enjoy hammering it around the backroads occasionally but otherwise its just a daily hack for the mrs. She gets quite good mileage out of it but doesn't drive it hard enough and it gets a bit choked up, it needs a good run now and again. I've given up trying to keep it mint since it started picking up car park dings etc...I think about a new st but we could do with something bigger now tbh.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good cars and very strong as well,we had a few in bumped and bumped hard and they really do hold up well.

Performance wise pretty disappointing tbh and economy is shit,although it is on most modern cars.

For about 3k I don't think their a bad buy,strong reliable and good fun to drive.