General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ronnie Amis

Search this Thread

Old 21-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDan
Obviously didn't read the post correctly I said PERSONALLY. As in, if It was me with 2K to spend I'd be looking to improve my suspension.

Stop jumping to conclusions. Just getting arsey because someone has said something different to spunking 2K on an engine that you are trying your best to get involved with.
The only person jumping to conclusions is you!!
Iv offered to do the engine for free!!!!

cheers danny
Old 21-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evening all,

Only just spotted this thread - yesterdays incident has delayed my arrival home until about an hour ago

I don't want to get into a "he said this" "so and so said that" about my support for Ronnie through 2010. I'll just put a few facts in the mix

I met Ron at one of the Rollerworld events Maria organised in 2009, first time we'd met and we chatted over a beer. I saw Rons request for sponsors on here in early 2010 and PM'd him offering to help him out at Oulton (my local circuit) in return for a sticker or two on the car.

Couple of stickers went on the car, Oulton came and I went down and helped get Ron used to the circuit and set the car up. Lap times came down and we had a good first event. I was keen to keep Ron's good start going and we planned for Knockhill, to help get the car ready I put £100 into the 'sponsors' pot in return for a lift up, grab a sofa or bed in someones room and a lift back.

My 'first event' sponsorship seemed to roll into a full seasons support and Ron said he would make sure I got a mention in the mag feature and the car would have my stickers on.

I still ended up paying for my travelling costs to 4 circuits, going halves on 2 hotel rooms, paying in at the gate at 2 circuits plus numerous other expenses.

I did speak to Ron a couple of times as some of my stickers seemed to come off the car in between events and nothing was mentioned about bringing replacements. He assured me he'd get in touch before any mag features or similar regarding getting new ones.

Mag feature wise, yes I got a mentioned over the 'bag for life' and in the thanks section but there weren't any stickers on the car of mine in the feature.

Cost wise, out of curiousity i've just added up what I can recall of my expenses on hotel rooms, entrance fees to circuits etc. I've also just stuck each track postcode into google maps and noted the mileage, stuck it in a fuel calculator based on £1.20 a litre diesel and 45mpg. Overall costs are around £500.

That's basically money that's come out of my student loan, it's not come out the business as at the moment, every penny I earn for the business goes towards paying off my initial start up costs

I was a little disappointed that there weren't any of my stickers on the car for the mag feature but life's too short to dwell on things. I enjoyed the weekends away supporting Ron, we all had a good laugh and I wish him all the best for 2011
Old 21-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

If thats been done at Wills expense then that is bullshit. No ones time and effort is free, especially in Motorsport.
Are they still there now?
The very very least that should be done! But fair play.
Fair enough, but at the end of the day from what I can see Will is trying to make a living out of this. Not just some enthusiast but an ex F1 apprentice with a lot of experience.
That's fair enough - the way it was read was Will paid to be there. Rather than breaking even.

Not quite sure I'd be up to the bed sharing though, he's a big lad
I agree completely, but if someone is trying to make a living out of it they need to charge.

Either way, seems to be cleared up to me now
Where are you pulling this from?

I am using my own personal experience to comment on the situation.

Too many people want stuff for free.

And Danny - you are king of the ramblers on here. I think you know it too. Get back to being proven incorrect over and over again!
ived pulled from this thread you seem to know or need to know Wil's earning for what ever he does .Now are you just out to embarass Will and Ron and ruin a good thread , has Will borrowed money from you he hasnt paid back for his venture because im dam sure Ron hasnt begged anyones help and would never pressure them into anything they would not want to do !! so why all the goon remarks as there not useful really are they
Old 21-12-2010, 07:23 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
The only person jumping to conclusions is you!!
Iv offered to do the engine for free!!!!

cheers danny

Well that is nice of you and sorry for jumping to conclusions.

I shall leave it at that.
Old 21-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Will Pedley
Evening all,

Only just spotted this thread - yesterdays incident has delayed my arrival home until about an hour ago

I don't want to get into a "he said this" "so and so said that" about my support for Ronnie through 2010. I'll just put a few facts in the mix

I met Ron at one of the Rollerworld events Maria organised in 2009, first time we'd met and we chatted over a beer. I saw Rons request for sponsors on here in early 2010 and PM'd him offering to help him out at Oulton (my local circuit) in return for a sticker or two on the car.

Couple of stickers went on the car, Oulton came and I went down and helped get Ron used to the circuit and set the car up. Lap times came down and we had a good first event. I was keen to keep Ron's good start going and we planned for Knockhill, to help get the car ready I put £100 into the 'sponsors' pot in return for a lift up, grab a sofa or bed in someones room and a lift back.

My 'first event' sponsorship seemed to roll into a full seasons support and Ron said he would make sure I got a mention in the mag feature and the car would have my stickers on.

I still ended up paying for my travelling costs to 4 circuits, going halves on 2 hotel rooms, paying in at the gate at 2 circuits plus numerous other expenses.

I did speak to Ron a couple of times as some of my stickers seemed to come off the car in between events and nothing was mentioned about bringing replacements. He assured me he'd get in touch before any mag features or similar regarding getting new ones.

Mag feature wise, yes I got a mentioned over the 'bag for life' and in the thanks section but there weren't any stickers on the car of mine in the feature.

Cost wise, out of curiousity i've just added up what I can recall of my expenses on hotel rooms, entrance fees to circuits etc. I've also just stuck each track postcode into google maps and noted the mileage, stuck it in a fuel calculator based on £1.20 a litre diesel and 45mpg. Overall costs are around £500.

That's basically money that's come out of my student loan, it's not come out the business as at the moment, every penny I earn for the business goes towards paying off my initial start up costs

I was a little disappointed that there weren't any of my stickers on the car for the mag feature but life's too short to dwell on things. I enjoyed the weekends away supporting Ron, we all had a good laugh and I wish him all the best for 2011

there you go he can speak for himself
Old 21-12-2010, 07:26 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jay_
ived pulled from this thread you seem to know or need to know Wil's earning for what ever he does .Now are you just out to embarass Will and Ron and ruin a good thread , has Will borrowed money from you he hasnt paid back for his venture because im dam sure Ron hasnt begged anyones help and would never pressure them into anything they would not want to do !! so why all the goon remarks as there not useful really are they
Well I think Will has just put his account of things. However I am taking this from the post that was posted in this very thread above my first quote.

Well done on the multi quote. I'm not really one for editing back what I say, and I still stand by my original point.

If you'd like to read the post Will has posted, and correct your shite then we can all get on again.
Old 21-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Well I think Will has just put his account of things. However I am taking this from the post that was posted in this very thread above my first quote.

Well done on the multi quote. I'm not really one for editing back what I say, and I still stand by my original point.

If you'd like to read the post Will has posted, and correct your shite then we can all get on again.
comon sense isnt really your strong point
Old 21-12-2010, 07:34 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

comon sense isnt really your strong point
Spelling isn't yours.
Old 21-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Spelling isn't yours.
ooohhh come back king

any way im sure this is a lesson learnt discuss terms to the line before anything is done paid or unpaid
Old 21-12-2010, 07:41 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Back to sponsorship.

What are the things the car needs? Aside from the big stuff like a rebuild. What would make the day easier? Or what sort of stuff do you get through in a day that could help if it was given in a sponsorship deal?
Old 21-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts

thats my two pence worth that is.

Last edited by Minirotty; 21-12-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 21-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Big-Dan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've PM'd Ronnie a couple of times in the past regarding a new website proposal as I personally feel his current site is not purpose fit at all.

If Ronnie would put the time into an online diary/blog, rich with photo's and event news I think he'd get quite abit of interest from both motorsport fans and also potential sponsors.

Big-Dan.
Old 21-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Big-Dan
I've PM'd Ronnie a couple of times in the past regarding a new website proposal as I personally feel his current site is not purpose fit at all.

If Ronnie would put the time into an online diary/blog, rich with photo's and event news I think he'd get quite abit of interest from both motorsport fans and also potential sponsors.

Big-Dan.

Funny you should say that Dan, me and Jay was saying the same thing today
Old 21-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Back to sponsorship.

What are the things the car needs? Aside from the big stuff like a rebuild. What would make the day easier? Or what sort of stuff do you get through in a day that could help if it was given in a sponsorship deal?

Coffee and egg and bacon rolls!
Old 21-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Big-Dan.

Dan your cock on i spoke to Ron about this today it needs to be ronnie-amis.co with all build race info then sponsors and race team! the current site carbon cosworth is ok but not quite enough

thing is Ron is hard work to actually get him to take anything off anyone !!so i just told what i can offer and do for him and thats what he will get as he wont ask lol

Last edited by Jay,; 21-12-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 21-12-2010, 08:52 PM
turbotoaster

i know theres a big thing aqbout power but i suppose my next question is this.

by the sound of it we are talking about 2k to play with if he can get some money together, people say he wants more power, i say he needs to increase his cornering speed.

why not both.

£900 should get you an internally wastegated gt3071, that when mapped on his original engine will give him the 450bhp he needs.

Then he has £1100 to pay with to sort his handing out.

£100 to make come canards for the front.
£200 to make some giant gurney flap for his rs500 wing(id actually remove it fully and go for a proper wing if it was me but i know the purests would cry)
£100 to make an ali full diffuser setup
£100 to make a ali flat bottom
£200 to make a GRP lip that will bring the bumper 50mm closer to the tarmac
£100 to make an ali splitter to tie all 3 pieces together

Then id put £300 towards increasing mechanical grip, trade my wheels in for wider ones, to get more rubber.

People may say they are already at the biggest they can be....i say where theres a will theres a way, either changing offsets, spacers or pulling the arches out.

whatever happens he needs to have a good think.

This thread seems to have become a bit heated.

In mine and olddans eyes we think he would mostly benefit from better handing

Danny thinks that more power will win

Each to there own, but for reference ronnie at one of the speed traps was 5mph quicker than matts rx7, hence my feelings that power isnt the answer
Old 21-12-2010, 09:03 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by turbotoaster

Each to there own, but for reference ronnie at one of the speed traps was 5mph quicker than matts rx7, hence my feelings that power isnt the answer
Can't argue with that!
Old 21-12-2010, 09:03 PM
BANNED
BANNED

The above is all good and well if your good with your hands and can make all them things lee..
I agree that making a car handle will benefit you but in all fairness how do you know how the car handles??
The car is only running circa 350 hp and if you did all the above as youve stated i reckon it would go slower!!!lol
I think you should come down for a week and make all them spoilers and splitters and make it look like the batmobile and il do the engine for him??
Id like to see it on a gt30 too and one of my inlet cams with a quick freshen up and the head looked at and mapped by luke ..
With all that and your areo and bigger tyres it would be an awesome machine..

cheers danny
Old 21-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

by the sound of it we are talking about 2k to play with if he can get some money together, people say he wants more power, i say he needs to increase his cornering speed.

why not both.

£900 should get you an internally wastegated gt3071, that when mapped on his original engine will give him the 450bhp he needs.

£200 to make some giant gurney flap for his rs500 wing(id actually remove it fully and go for a proper wing if it was me but i know the purests would cry)

Then id put £300 towards increasing mechanical grip, trade my wheels in for wider ones, to get more rubber.

People may say they are already at the biggest they can be....i say where theres a will theres a way, either changing offsets, spacers or pulling the arches out.

I would say your on the money ex the cost of the turbo and I would leave changing the rear wing till the very last thing.

Mark
Old 21-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Big-Dan

Originally Posted by miller3
Funny you should say that Dan, me and Jay was saying the same thing today
Okay, well Ronnie's been in touch and I've pitched the idea to a good friend of mine who is a web designer/developer. Both parties seem keen so hopefully we'll see something new and exciting ready to go in time for when the season starts.

Dan your cock on i spoke to Ron about this today it needs to be ronnie-amis.co with all build race info then sponsors and race team! the current site carbon cosworth is ok but not quite enough

thing is Ron is hard work to actually get him to take anything off anyone !!so i just told what i can offer and do for him and thats what he will get as he wont ask lol
See above, lol. Keep onto him and hopefully this year he'll get the help he needs an the credit he deserves.

I've got a few ideas that I think would help Ronnie and the team.

Big-Dan.
Old 21-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can't argue with that!
Actually i can!!!!!

As the speed trap @ Snet is just in the braking zone on the back straight so it shows Ron was quicker through the corner

Please dont take that as me twisting your words, just a bit of friendly banter whilst stating where the trap is
Old 21-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Will Pedley

Will i know its not your fault this thread has gone a little poor old Will blah blah blah, and you also know i love you long time (especially as we have slept together ) but did you not want to offer your services for free as for that is all you could offer at the time what with having little/no capital what with understandably being a new business venture. Now i know you wont take what i have wrote the wrong way bud but i feel i needed to put it there just so people know the score mate

PS i also no Ron is very thankful of your help as im sure you already know mate
Old 21-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

why not both.

Ok i agree to a certain extent but seeing as there is little time for testing you will never find out what makes the best difference so imo get the shocks and tyres if wider can be sorted then geometry ! then you can see whats what from there as that will improve the car ,then either ron's mate phil or i will make the composite items require to aero simples
Old 21-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Kelv
Almost there!

the way i see it with Ron's engine, from various conversations with him at the events.
its not so much he needs more power, but the engine is tired now, its lasted almsot 7 years and the head gasket has let go twice, so it could benefit from a freshen up atleast, so its the ideal time to make it that little more punchy and powerfull while its apart.
Old 21-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Okay, well Ronnie's been in touch and I've pitched the idea to a good friend of mine who is a web designer/developer. Both parties seem keen so hopefully we'll see something new and exciting ready to go in time for when the season starts.

See above, lol. Keep onto him and hopefully this year he'll get the help he needs an the credit he deserves.

I've got a few ideas that I think would help Ronnie and the team.

Big-Dan.

Nice one Dan mate
Old 21-12-2010, 10:48 PM
turbotoaster

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
The above is all good and well if your good with your hands and can make all them things lee..
I agree that making a car handle will benefit you but in all fairness how do you know how the car handles??
The car is only running circa 350 hp and if you did all the above as youve stated i reckon it would go slower!!!lol
I think you should come down for a week and make all them spoilers and splitters and make it look like the batmobile and il do the engine for him??
Id like to see it on a gt30 too and one of my inlet cams with a quick freshen up and the head looked at and mapped by luke ..
With all that and your areo and bigger tyres it would be an awesome machine..

cheers danny
making all them parts out of ali is really easy, all you do is make them out of cardboard first if you like then copy them into metal, once made a quick coating of black paint to tidy them up and your sorted.

the diffuser only needs to exceed the end of the bumper by 2inches to make sure the air is un-interupted so doesnt need to stick out 2 foot and look silly

the underfloor wont even be visable from the above or the side, just a small detatchable lid below the sump so oil can be changed easily.

the splitter again is very simple to make, the only thing that would take a little bit of time is the front lip, it will be a giant rs500 one if you can imagine it.

theres loads of people who can make them, the guy that goes lucas one for example, if i gave some drawings for him to copy id imagine it would be pretty easy, here is an example of the what i mean for reference.

there you can see the lip and a splitter, it would look similar to that but of sierra purportions

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
I would say your on the money ex the cost of the turbo and I would leave changing the rear wing till the very last thing.

Mark
well the gt3071 with int gate is £840 plus £60 shipping, the only thing you have to be careful of is customs but ive bought loads of stuff from abroad and never got hit from customs, maybe im lucky
Old 21-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by miller3
Will i know its not your fault this thread has gone a little poor old Will blah blah blah, and you also know i love you long time (especially as we have slept together ) but did you not want to offer your services for free as for that is all you could offer at the time what with having little/no capital what with understandably being a new business venture. Now i know you wont take what i have wrote the wrong way bud but i feel i needed to put it there just so people know the score mate

PS i also no Ron is very thankful of your help as im sure you already know mate
The money isn't the issue Doug, I wouldn't have done what I did if it was, I just personally felt a bit let down that the goalposts moved a bit in terms of the feature and what was included against what had been agreed. But it's done now and not like we can have it re-featured

I know Ron appreciated the help, that's why I extended my one event support to the full season
Old 21-12-2010, 11:07 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Well as you know lee id like you to make something like the diffuser and under tray for mine too so when do you fancy coming down and doing it for me and ronnie?

My new front splitter is pretty similar to the one on that rx but not quite as deep but already goes back as far as my crossmember..

Im not doubting anything youve said about areo and grip so to combine that with more power is defiantly the way forward for ronnie

cheers danny
Old 21-12-2010, 11:20 PM
turbotoaster

well if ronnie and you want help then ill be up for this, got a few job interviews over the next couple of days so depending on what happens with them dictates when im allowed the time off, but im more than happy to help

from a rough calculation you will need 6x 1x2m pieces of ali at £40 a sheet, so thats £240 then a few small nuts and bolts and rivets, which when i was last down there you had tons of

ill have a look for a pic of an underside of an escort cossie now and ill design an full undertray/diffuser setup to go with it, give me 30mins and ill get you a pic up
Old 21-12-2010, 11:35 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Obviously we will have to get ronnie to join in this conversation about his car but im deffo up for it..
Dont forget i have twin side exit pipes and at the rear theres a wrc arb and dont know if them things will interfere with your design??

In the next couple of weeks i will be working on my car and taking it apart as im getting it ready for a colour scheme change so soon will be an ideal time to mess with this stuff

cheers danny
Old 21-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Luca
Lukesville

What thickness sheet you using?
Old 21-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

well if ronnie and you want help then ill be up for this, got a few job interviews over the next couple of days so depending on what happens with them dictates when im allowed the time off, but im more than happy to help

from a rough calculation you will need 6x 1x2m pieces of ali at £40 a sheet, so thats £240 then a few small nuts and bolts and rivets, which when i was last down there you had tons of

ill have a look for a pic of an underside of an escort cossie now and ill design an full undertray/diffuser setup to go with it, give me 30mins and ill get you a pic up
Lee im up for helping ive made a few composite floors and body panels for various race cars so i can mold and pattern all your sheet work if needed
Old 21-12-2010, 11:54 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Lee im up for helping ive made a few composite floors and body panels for various race cars so i can mold and pattern all your sheet work if needed
I like the sound of that jay!!

Lets see what lee comes up with and get ronnie involved and get some aero out of these fords!!

cheers danny
Old 22-12-2010, 12:18 AM
turbotoaster

well if you can get me a couple of pics from the underside of your car, just so i can see where the fuel tank is and how close low your exhausts run from the chassis as what ill try and do is have the flat floor slightly away from the actual chassis.

this will allow a little bit of breathing space for the transmission and also stop the splitter being angled to try and keep the airflow consitant under the chassis.

on a positive note because your running side exits i dont need to worry about it getting in the way of my diffuser and creating stalls in my venturies.

ill look at kevin sharps car as that wont be massively far from what yours is like

i assume your cradle looks like this

if so then we shall use the furthers forward part of it to bolt the diffuser to and also the end of the flat floor creating one continues section if you will.

running a wrc cradle will actually help as it means theres less large moving components compared to a stock car that will get in the way and affect airflow.

in terms of the diffuser itsself it will be almost the length of the bumper, ill use the 2 holes(one original exhaust) as a guide.

this is a very quick paint drawing to give you an idea where it is, obviously your fuel tank will effect the height of the diffuser because the angle needs to be correct for it to work properly( the lower your fuel tank sits, the lower the diffuser will be leaving the car)

this is what it will look like where the gearbox is from underneath

ill get more pics up in a min while im looking for better underneath pics to use

well the gearbox brace would actually be useful to bolt the flat floor to aswell so the joining lines would of course be inline with that

Last edited by turbotoaster; 22-12-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 22-12-2010, 12:21 AM
turbotoaster

Originally Posted by Luca
What thickness sheet you using?
im thinking 1.5mm as that will have some strength but not alot of weight as i want it as light as possible

that would be awesome, id love to make them in carbon to keep the weight down but since this was originally for ronnies tight budget i chose ali, if you can make them in carbon/kevlar for example then that would help the guys loads
Old 22-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

im thinking 1.5mm as that will have some strength but not alot of weight as i want it as light as possible

that would be awesome, id love to make them in carbon to keep the weight down but since this was originally for ronnies tight budget i chose ali, if you can make them in carbon/kevlar for example then that would help the guys loads
No worries this is the defuser off the seat cup car we will run in britcar

ill get it on the ramps later and picture all the undertray and front end there are a few well placed naca ducts in it for cooling which even if you run a box cooler and diff cooler they are needed to cool
Old 22-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Jay please do as im in the process of doing this to mine...

Im concerned though about the heat from the exhaust if its completly sealed underneath.

Pics of that car would be a great help.
Old 22-12-2010, 08:31 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Luke, just wrap your whole system. Will keep majority of heat in, but admitedly a bit of air flow also helps
Old 22-12-2010, 08:35 AM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

thats the underfloor ive made for my 5,
the big hole at the front on mine is for the fuel pump, but could be a sump access hole on a front engined car, ive put some rivnuts in the floor so i can bolt the cover over it, the round holes on the top have those white plastic ducts to direct/scoop air from under the car to the engine, 2 are 4" round above the plate but 4"x2" under the car, and 2 are 6" round and 6"x2" under it,
then the cool louvres run along where my rad pipes are to keep them cool, this could be done by the exhaust/gearbox on the cossies

and i only pay £20 a sheet for ali, but the place i go to doesnt deliver so unless you were passing around the croydon area in a van, it wouldnt help much but would cut the cost in half.
let me know if u want to know where to get it from.
Old 22-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Luca
Jay please do as im in the process of doing this to mine...

Im concerned though about the heat from the exhaust if its completly sealed underneath.

Pics of that car would be a great help.
Will do Luca this is the issue with fitting the cossie out with a tray as there are many things in the way as the object it to get the tray as flat as poss then venting has to be spot on as we all know how hot everything gets on track

Quick Reply: Ronnie Amis