General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car Spraying Courses?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 AM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Car Spraying Courses?

Has anyone ever done one of these?

Fancied doing something different for a while as I currently work permanent nights. Always liked the look of spraying, not so much the airbrushing and stuff as I'm terrible with art, but more just the basic spraying, including all the prep work and stuff.

Anyone got any ideas where abouts does it? I'm based right next to Stansted Airport, and Bedfordshire was pretty much the closest I could find after a very brief look on google.

I'm 25, and have never had a thought of going to do something at college (wish I had now!) so I don't even know if I qualify to sign up?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:31 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me too,always wanted to learn how to paint cars properly.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

If its the crash courses to learn it all in a small amount of time like plastering , plumbing etc i think it might be a waste of time ! I know someone that went to a 2 week plastering course it did what it said on the tin he got a bit of the basics but for a trade that takes 2 yeas plus to learn in a apprenticeship i wouldnt expect the world in a short cource
Old 02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tbh I had my own sprayshop and the boy working for me went to college and tbh didn't find it that helpful.it's such a hands on thing that you'll learn far more simply having a go yourself,looking online and taking advice.

As for actual body repairs,panel beating,jig work,welding etc then I'd say college would be great.

Most paintwork jobs tend to undergo pretty much the same process really so a good google search will get you on your way.any questions you have,just pm me as I've done it all!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Its a bit like sitting in a classrom to learn how to drive. Good to learn the basics, but you've just got to go and give it a try.

Worth speaking to a few local bodyshops and see if they would take you on voluntarily to help?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a 9month retraining course in leatherhead after i had my car accident, was lucky enough to get a job at mclaren but tbh its deskilled me if anything as were pretty much just a production line not like the trade!!

You just want to learn just for yourself or as a new job?!

Cos tbh mate unless you can find youself somewhere good the money u get now spraying is pretty shit compared 2 what i used 2 be!! Im working with guys that earnt more 10yrs ago with their bonus etc then where we are now!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe more for myself, just something extra on the side, a hobby I guess. Cheers for the input guys, gonna keep my eye open and have a nose about some local places!

Is it worth buying a cheaper setup and giving it a go?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

my advise is to buy something with a bit of rust; few dents etc and just give it a go yourself - plenty of people on here to offer advise.

by a Ł200 snotter and give it a go

the only thing you really need is a spray oven if your doing a full respray
Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 PM
mr-c
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

hi mate ive been doing it for 20 years now, and ive just got out of it due to health reasons, yup its true the money is crap now, i too was earning more money ten years ago than now, and waterbase paint is a pain in the arse, as you need all the blowers etc to get a decent job, its not as easy as good old solvent that youcould spray in your mates garage, its more grief now, im glad im out of it now, but its just what to do next,

although its a handy trade to know if you have a place to do stuff for yourself.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:23 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
I did a 9month retraining course in leatherhead after i had my car accident, was lucky enough to get a job at mclaren but tbh its deskilled me if anything as were pretty much just a production line not like the trade!!

You just want to learn just for yourself or as a new job?!

Cos tbh mate unless you can find youself somewhere good the money u get now spraying is pretty shit compared 2 what i used 2 be!! Im working with guys that earnt more 10yrs ago with their bonus etc then where we are now!!!
Where a bouts in Leatherhead was that Tony? I wanna learn how to paint and am just up the road to there.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

to be far picking up a spray gun is easy ,its the prep work that you need master,when i was at collage lads new it all on paper but give them a dent to fill and they spend two days sanding if its for a hobbie just buy some stuff and have a go

Last edited by dingla rs; 02-12-2010 at 07:54 PM.