General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fix my Mrs Micra!! (Bodyshop guys?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:20 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix my Mrs Micra!! (Bodyshop guys?)

Right, no matter how much I tell the Mrs she should bin the car after some uninsured twat drove into the Mica on the way to my nans funeral () she is insistent we get it fixed. So anyone care to give guesstimates on how much it will cost to fix this?

At least the Sill is intact

B-Pillar is fine

A-pillar looks like it has a kink in it.

Door bent out at the top

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 PM
rs kyle
Regular Contributor

I estamate about £800 but if you can get the panels yourself from a scrappy you would save alot of money. you may be lucky and get them in the right colour but you would still need the sill and a pillar repaired
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

hammer, big tub of filler, and a few rattle cans from halfords, its really not worth spending any more on it than that!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
rs kyle
Regular Contributor

The larger bodyshops I.e insurance approved ones would charge double that probably
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

More than the cars worth. You need to make her realise this!!

Throwing cash away if you were to get it repaired.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldo
More than the cars worth. You need to make her realise this!!

Throwing cash away if you were to get it repaired.

+1..
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

2 doors and a wing from the scrappy for less than £100,you may find its cos the door is crumpled its making it bow out at the top and not the pillar being bent.painting will be the expensive part.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Have a good search at scrappys and on eBay for purple panels, you might get it fixed for a lot less than you imagine if you can find the right coloured panels.. presuming the wings bolt off that is...
Old 01-11-2010, 08:46 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Have a good search at scrappys and on eBay for purple panels, you might get it fixed for a lot less than you imagine if you can find the right coloured panels.. presuming the wings bolt off that is...
Hmmm What do you recon? Looks like screws in the top? Do you recon they bolt off?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
thebigmacmoomin
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Wouldnt bother to repair it.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by MadMac
Hmmm What do you recon? Looks like screws in the top? Do you recon they bolt off?
Worth a few mins of your time giving it a go to find out... Although there's probably someone here who knows for sure
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

New wing/door,bout £50-60 from the scrappy,bolt the wing and door up to align it,see where you are then hit the a pillar a good hit from inside to straighten it a bit,get the hinges from the scrappy as well as these tend to bend first.

If your fussy,you can then take the door and wing off to get them edged up in body colour or if you just want it functional,get just the outside blown in,straight colour,I'd say about £2-250 to blow the side,as you've probably stripped it all down first so that will save on the labour element.

From an ex-bodyshop owners perspective,repairs,stripdown and build up take the time,when people turned up with a stripped down car asking us to paint the car and they'd put it back,happy days.

It's still about 4-5 hrs labour to do it and say £50 in materials so I think my estimates about right.

From scratch,leaving it purely to a bodyshop as quoted above,more like £800.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And yes,all bolt off!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by vaughant
And yes,all bolt off!!!
If that's the case I'd bide my time and look for the correct panels. You could buy a working one in the same colour for a lot less than £800, so buy one, fix yours, take a few spares off, and scrap it!

Or just buy this one and swap them over when she's not looking!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Mate we fix things like this all the time!!!
If you get a wing and door il fix that for £500 mate all in..

cheers danny
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep searching for panels in the right colour
i wouldnt expect the A pilar to be damaged goin from the damage to the door, is it not the same both sides? i dont see flaking, if you have another car pull the pilar straight with a chain or summet, do it by pushing not running car (sometimes we would chain a car to the uprights in our building if it was a small pull or to gain entry to assess-main dealers lol)
chain it on push the other car to have just a little momentum- too much liek when bein driven and the chain and hook can fly off and fuck up the world
wing + 2 doors and you win

if shes mad on fixing it and you dont want to take the battery terminal off when she aint lookin, when it wont start its bin time, if she is clued up take the sump bolt out a bit, lol

Last edited by 1.9 xr2 on 40's; 01-11-2010 at 09:05 PM.
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord

Or just buy this one and swap them over when she's not looking!
I think this is the best idea tbh
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I know there's a few on here very lightly ribbing your missus for keeping the car but it's nice to see a girl who isn't demanding you go out and buy her a brand new car to replace it.
Youve got a cracker there!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
Mate we fix things like this all the time!!!
If you get a wing and door il fix that for £500 mate all in..

cheers danny
We might take you up on that offer mate. Does that include painting?

The car should pass an MOT with this sort of damage should it not?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I know there's a few on here very lightly ribbing your missus for keeping the car but it's nice to see a girl who isn't demanding you go out and buy her a brand new car to replace it.
Youve got a cracker there!!!
LOL she laughed when she saw this.

She had had the car for a few years now and she has done about 20k in it and has never missed a beat which is why she is so attached it to... she has even nick named it Milly

If I can find the doors and panel I think I will be sorted.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

LOL she laughed when she saw this.

She had had the car for a few years now and she has done about 20k in it and has never missed a beat which is why she is so attached it to... she has even nick named it Milly

If I can find the doors and panel I think I will be sorted.

Tbh mac,there's loads of these in the scrappies mate,I'll have a look up my local one to see what colours they've got,it'll be about £40 all in to me,not sure of postage but if their the same colour,happy days!!!

The only thing that gets these micras is the tinworm,mechanically one of the best out there,far superior to the fords etc.

In the scrappy I'm talking about they had one in on the scrappage scheme which was m reg with 16000 genuine miles on it,absolutely mint it was.

The bastards cut the quarters off and made it into a pick up to rally around the yard!!!sacrelidge!!!

Your missus wont be happy if someone does that to millie!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if its mechanically sound then fair enough for wanting to keep it...even if i is a shit old micra

i really would NOT spend much on it at all!!

the doors bent out at the top because of the impact damage. is the a pillar definately damaged? if so its not changed the possition of the door hinges has it? if not your fine.

litterally the only pannel i would replace is the front door and then push most of the dent in the wing out. theres loads of micras in that colour in scrap yards so you can get a door the same colour and then it'll just be left with a couple of little battle scars, nothing much and on a car of that age (and the fact its just a micra) wont devalue it any more.

will only cost you the price of a door then so you're not gonna be losing out.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

We might take you up on that offer mate. Does that include painting?

The car should pass an MOT with this sort of damage should it not?
You bring the car the door and a wing and we will do the rest,it will look spot on and will pass mots without a problem..
It takes around 30-40 mins to mine from croydon depending on where your at and the traffic..

cheers danny
Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Here's your chance to go Carbon Fibre like the XR2 Stu
Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Mate of mine loves micras! He's the fattest fuck in the world, his micra has done 150k in it now (drives from swindon to devon every weekend), and he can not break it.

They're good little motors! Best bet would be to wait for the right colour panels then just bolt them on.....
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Tbh mac,there's loads of these in the scrappies mate,I'll have a look up my local one to see what colours they've got,it'll be about £40 all in to me,not sure of postage but if their the same colour,happy days!!!
If you see anything fella that would be brilliant, just let me know of the cost and how much for your time and we will sort something out

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
You bring the car the door and a wing and we will do the rest,it will look spot on and will pass mots without a problem..
It takes around 30-40 mins to mine from croydon depending on where your at and the traffic..

cheers danny
Thanks fella, we live bang in the centre of croydon. If we really struggle to find replacement panels in the same color then we will let you know fella.

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Here's your chance to go Carbon Fibre like the XR2 Stu
Fuck off Rich After I wasted all my spare cash on that rot box only to scrap it I don't think I am EVER going to be modifying a car EVER again
Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If it has been a reliable little car and the misses loves it then I say get it done mate. Parts from the scrappy and as said hopefully the correct colour for a home diy job, or seeing as they will most likely be scratched and dinted unless very lucky, takeup the offer of £500 with bits supplied and get it spot on again.

I have been looking at cheap cars for the misses mate and you dont get much other than scrap for under a grand so if you can get it fixed up for under £800 then it's is worth doing.

Not so much about what the car is worth, more about what you will need to spend to get something else as reliable, fixing it seems the cheaper option.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

That amount of damage will cost £1600 if you go through a bodyshop .

I know this because like you, we was hit by an uninsured driver

Only thing is that the vehicle she was driving uninsured was a

HORSE

This is the damage it done when it fell on the car and thats what it cost to get it fixed

Although, had we NOT gone through the Insurance it would have cost us £800

Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowsierra
That amount of damage will cost £1600 if you go through a bodyshop .

Although, had we NOT gone through the Insurance it would have cost us £800
id be interested how bodyshops justify doubling the cost for insurance jobs.

im surprised in these tough economic times the insurance companys arent making their assessors more strict on things like this.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 AM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i bought a 2003 micra last year with a throttle body fault that would have cost 400ish to fix i got the car for £150 and fixed it with a second hand throttle body that cost me £40 then punted the whole car on for £900
would it not be worth you buying a complete car if you can get one cheap enough? you could use the parts you need sell the engine and box and then weigh the car in at scrappy its £150 a ton and rising up my way at the mo dont forget to weigh the battery and cat in seperatley if you do tho
Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 AM
B16lag

Did you get your car sorted only there is a guy i use that just breaks micras !!! he would mite only want 80 pound for panals/?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver

im surprised in these tough economic times the insurance companys arent making their assessors more strict on things like this.
Basically because,next to terrorists,rapists,child molesters insurance companies are the biggest scum you'll ever have the misfortune of dealing with.

They are the most robbing cunts you'll ever meet in your life,forgot to dot an i or cross a t?then your waiting another month for your money.accounts departments that,and this us what they honestly told us,are open from 930-1030 in the morning and 230-300 in the afternoon!!!!nice hours those.

The assesors DO try their hardest to knock you down,hence you have to go in really high,I learnt this to my cost a few times.

9/10 people ask you to shove the price up to cover the excess cost and as times are hard and you want the work,sometimes you've got to.

One classic I had back in February,INS company authorised a repair on a focus we were working on,sent the paperwork through with NIL excess on it.we do the job,customer happy,job done.send off invoice and about a week later receive a reply stating that "due to an error on our computer system,you lr paperwork should have shown a £350 excess,please collect this from the customer and rewrite your invoice accordingly.we will now pay you 30 days from when your NEW invoice arrives"!!!!

So their fuck up,which THEY admitted to,I chase up their money,oh,and can they pay me £350 less in another months time!!

Imagine someone turning up at your door asking for £350 when they've both received a letter telling them otherwise,I'd personally tell them to get fucked!!

Their pure vermin,well 99% of them.

I was doing a bit of recovery and storage as well and one company,fortis,quite simply refused to pay,no explanation,just refused.they turned up one day demanding release of a vehicle but not willing to pay,they were met with a hostile response shall we say.

Strangely,a week later when a top end car came in for recovery they were phoning,quite literally from 7am trying to pick the car up to avoid charges,I hiked fuck out of my prices,told them it was £350 recovery and £50 per day storage,they went mental and I told them if you want the car out today,it's £400........they paid,cunts.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

the whole industry is more corrupt than the government
Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by B16lag
Did you get your car sorted only there is a guy i use that just breaks micras !!! he would mite only want 80 pound for panals/?
No we haven't yet, PM me your mates details and I'll get in touch with him
Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the whole industry is more corrupt than the government
It really is mate,the only ones doing ok by us are TWK Thomas who soley do insurance work,no trade boys will touch them,their work is abysmal,I've seen it first hand!!!

If you crash anywhere around Swansea,they'll tell you to go straight there,now why's that?

I've dealt with tons of reps and the minute you mention cash their way,you get the work.we had it with one firm who basically sent us everything provided we looked after their own cars foc.

Glad to be out of it fella.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I worked for a while on travel insurance and while I can understand the one off insurances for certain things, why, why,why does it keep going up all the time? I mean our home insurance this year was originally £330 for the year, when it came to renewal they wanted £480??? I queried it and they said no its now £495. So I said stuff the policy because I can get it for £330 with someone else.

They ring me back two weeks later and said your policy is due to lapse, and I said yes and I don't want to renew it as your want to charge me nearly £500 for it when I can get it for £330 somewhere else. "One moment I will see what I can do." Put on hold, comes back and says "We can do it for £510." Which is more than the previous two quotes I have received!!! I said no thanks. They put me on hold again and came back in a couple of moments and said "Ok we can do it for £330"

Insurance companies just make their own prices up, and it doesn't help people who do work on insurance claims charging double for it either
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
chris m1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

What year is the car?,, Reason for asking is there n mot failure micra int same colour forsale in local paper..for £195..

**Edit.. noticed your location so not viable**
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM
snOOpy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Warren, what would YOU expect to pay (or the insurance company) if all NEW parts had to be used? Give a 36 month warrenty, do a satisfactory job, and in a satisfactory time scale?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:46 AM
MikeyRobbo
PS3 - MikeyRobbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Purple Micra Going Cheap On Ebay, Buy It For The Door And Wing, Weigh The Rest In, Probably Make Your Money Back Too!

Think Its The Same Colour Maybe A Little Lighter?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-NISSAN-MI...item3a5ffe747c
Old 04-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by snOOpy86
Warren, what would YOU expect to pay (or the insurance company) if all NEW parts had to be used? Give a 36 month warrenty, do a satisfactory job, and in a satisfactory time scale?
a fair price thats what!

thing is the greed will fuck the industry in the end.

Quick Reply: Fix my Mrs Micra!! (Bodyshop guys?)