General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Online security discussion

Search this Thread

Old 30-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Dlatch!
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Online security discussion

I have always been careful when using my card online and always keep my computer virus free and protected, but still some how my card details were got by thieves who tried to make 5 orders to online shops
first shop was pixmania this one actually went through and it was the 4 after that triggered the alert and were stopped.
i also have my card protected on the verified by visa scheme and i had two emails dated early hours of this morning saying the password was changed but since speaking with my bank they say none of the merchants that the orders were placed with used the verified by visa security so no alerts were flagged along those lines.
obviously i had the card stopped immediately i suspected something was dodgy and my bank (alliance & Leicester) were great in dealing with the issue.

but i am mystified how the crooks got my card details as i never use my card to buy stuff in shops i always use cash so no way card was skimmed and i also use the same cash machine to withdraw cash, (no attempts to withdraw money from cash machine were made)
So now i start thinking where have i had to put my card details in to buy stuff online recently and the only place in the last two months was www.bbbikeshop.co.uk
The exhaust i bought was out of stock for a week so they held details for a week but did deliver on time and debited correct amount, so maybe a crooked member of staff there? might have to check if any other customers have had similar issue.

i use the card on three main websites paypal, lottery, amazon which i am happy are secure (no evidence of my paypal account being hacked and i don't think u can actually bring up all the added card details there anyway)

So what have i missed? anyone else had something similar

cheers
duncan
Old 30-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only once had my card fucked over and it was when I ordered a pizza for a mate over the phone and gave out my card details. Fortunately my bank (Natwest) were absolutely brilliant and after the first dodgy transaction they called me straight away and sorted it. I got a refund uber quick too!!
Old 30-10-2010, 09:00 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

do you buy pretrol on your card?
Old 30-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Dlatch!

no matts i never use the card in a petrol station i always use cash and have done ever since i started driving.

Also to add i have not given card details over the phone for a long time infact last time i did was for car insurance, so i don't think it got out like that.

it seems the only suspect is www.bbbikeshop.co.uk
Old 30-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

you need your computer professionally checked for root and spyware as the decent malware isnt picked up straight away by commercial antivirus/spyware removal tools.

wouldnt surprise me if you had some form of keystroke logger somewhere embedded in your computer.

either that or that website is dodgy as fuck.
Old 30-10-2010, 10:38 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dlatch
no matts i never use the card in a petrol station i always use cash and have done ever since i started driving.

Also to add i have not given card details over the phone for a long time infact last time i did was for car insurance, so i don't think it got out like that.

it seems the only suspect is www.bbbikeshop.co.uk
Thats a piss poor buy site matey i hope you paid via visa
Old 30-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

they wouldnt have been able to get your verified by visa password from their website as you are linked to visa directly to enter the password.

so the only other options are a) they set up a spoof "verified by visa" site or b) youve got some form of spyware on your machine.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Dlatch!

done multiple virus checks on my main computer all come back as clean
i use avg and zonealarm normally without any problems
i have two comps one which is my main and is used only on safe stuff and is the only one that i ever use to buy stuff on and use my old computer to download stuff ect

i have malwarebytes which also comes back clean and i done the trend micro online scan which was clean too, so stupidly i have downloaded avast to try that and now its buggered the computer up good and proper and won't uninstall
think it does not like running with avg

so i may end up wiping that one clean anyway

edit to add the verify by visa thing i asked bank about the mails saying the password had been changed and they confirmed that the password was not changed and all the sites that the orders were placed with did not use the verified software

Last edited by Dlatch!; 31-10-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 31-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

edit to add the verify by visa thing i asked bank about the mails saying the password had been changed and they confirmed that the password was not changed and all the sites that the orders were placed with did not use the verified software
ok that makes more sense. having got your email and card details from the order they have obviously tried a bit of phishing to get your password so they can get more money.

a physical wipe of your computer system and new OS install every now and then does no harm.
Old 31-10-2010, 10:50 AM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

i always shoponline in sandboxie with only firefox allowed to run in the sandbox in sandboxies restrictions, firefox has never been run not sandboxed on the pc so i know its clean as i have sandboxie set to auto delete when i close firefox, antivirusscanners are outdated and cant keep up with malware anymore, i run sandboxie and defensewall and dont run an antivirus anymore and never get infected, virtualisation is the way forward.
prevx safeonline is a good app as well and is free for facebook users just search prevx in facebook and you will find the download link

Last edited by gaz s1; 31-10-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 31-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Dlatch!

gaz is this the program u mean?

http://www.sandboxie.com

never heard of it before but sounds a great idea will give it a try on my old comp, and think i will wipe my other comp just to be sure
Old 31-10-2010, 01:16 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

is it free?
Old 31-10-2010, 01:31 PM
bigjohn0
PassionFord Regular

Great program and i have used it for sometime now with not one problem, deffo a must have
Old 31-10-2010, 02:28 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

so is it free then?
Old 31-10-2010, 02:32 PM
bigjohn0
PassionFord Regular

sending a pm dojj mate
Old 31-10-2010, 03:42 PM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

gaz is this the program u mean?

http://www.sandboxie.com

never heard of it before but sounds a great idea will give it a try on my old comp, and think i will wipe my other comp just to be sure
you get the full for a month then it reverts to free, limitations being you cant set programs to auto sandbox and you get a nag screen for 5 seconds before your browser opens etc(big deal), you can set your browser to save bookmarks and you set the sandbox to auto delete when you close your browser, bye bye nasties!!. You can right click and run anything you want sandboxed so nothing can infect you, infact the only way you can get infected is by your stupidity once you learn to run it properly and it really is the perfect solution.

I use it all the time and so does my 9 year old so it aint hard to learn, if you want to download something sandboxie will give you the option to save before it deletes so if you get a drive bye nasty and sandboxe says do you want to save and you dont recognise the file then just delete the box and its gone, best forum to go onto learn about security is wilders
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
loads of the vendors post on here and is full of very knowledgable people

Last edited by gaz s1; 31-10-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 31-10-2010, 03:44 PM
rubinsbin
BANNED
BANNED

pay cash------------