General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Public Sectors turn for a recession....

Search this Thread

Old 21-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Nick D
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
you must be now just taking the piss,,,,,, who the fuck on min wage employs a cleaner
You got me completely wrong mate, I'm saying that if the minimum wage was allot lower / abolished then people on an average salary could have a cleaner etc. The minimum wage makes cleaners etc for personal domestic applications too expensive.

You are correct though, I am being a provocative prick to get some ideas out there. Doesn't mean that I don't believe in some of them tho.
Old 21-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Nick D

Originally Posted by Chip
fucking hell ginge, learn to read.

He is saying that because minimum wage is too high, people cant afford as many staff on minimum wage around the house to do the chores.

Ie if minimum wage was 50p an hour then we could all afford a cleaner.

Nick D is from a rich family so obviously feels it only right he be able to have a string of servents like his ancestors no doubt did in the 20s etc, well that was the joke he was making anyway (although probably many a true word said in jest )
Only just read this after my reply!!
Old 21-10-2010, 01:40 PM
gaz s1

I made no assumptions.

you said

I said your grandad MAY have been retarded like you were claiming he was for all I know, and then I stated that mine wasnt, in case you were including me in the "our" comment you made.

It would probably be better if you go away and learn to read properly before you attempt to participate in a text based discussion TBH as you are currently making a lot of mistakes while trying to understand the written word.
oh no i make mistakes while typing what a crime, are we resorting to this pathetic line now, i cant read as well, neither can you, you wound me up over my grandad but its past now, maybe you should get back to work instead of being on here, guess what you are words on my monitor and your opinion means fuck all to me so try and wind me up for you own entertainment, it worked a minute ago but i bet it doesnt happen again
Old 21-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ginge/Gaz, maybe if you guys apply together for an adult learning course you could get a discount on learning to read properly and it might improve both of your job prospects as these days the ability to read is very useful in almost all jobs?
Old 21-10-2010, 01:42 PM
gaz s1

Im off to work now so go and wind someone else up on the internet chip, we can continue your endless rambling of total shit tommorow
Old 21-10-2010, 01:42 PM
gaz s1

Ginge/Gaz, maybe if you guys apply together for an adult learning course you could get a discount on learning to read properly and it might improve both of your job prospects as these days the ability to read is very useful in almost all jobs?
Especialy if you spend all day at work on passionford
Old 21-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick D
You got me completely wrong mate, I'm saying that if the minimum wage was allot lower / abolished then people on an average salary could have a cleaner etc. The minimum wage makes cleaners etc for personal domestic applications too expensive.

You are correct though, I am being a provocative prick to get some ideas out there. Doesn't mean that I don't believe in some of them tho.
i read it wrong, sorry trying to read this AND look up a few things that i aint absorbing up everything i guess
Old 21-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by gaz s1
oh no i make mistakes while typing what a crime
Ive not commented on any of the spelling errors etc that you are making when writing, its the fact you dont seem to be able to take the time to read things properly that is causing the issues.

are we resorting to this pathetic line now, i cant read as well, neither can you, you wound me up over my grandad but its past now
I didnt wind your up over your grandad, you wound yourself up misreading what I clearly wrote.

maybe you should get back to work instead of being on here
Im at work currently

guess what you are words on my monitor and your opinion means fuck all to me so try and wind me up for you own entertainment, it worked a minute ago but i bet it doesnt happen again
A minute ago my words didnt wind you up, your misreading them did, Im not here to wind you up Im here to try and enjoy a discussion that you just happen to be part of.

In fact far from winding you up, Ive just tried to help you with my recent post suggesting that if you and ginge club together for a distance learning course you may be able to get a discount via the "refer a friend" scheme that many of these institutions run and you could split the cashback between you
Old 21-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Chip

Especialy if you spend all day at work on passionford
Exaclty, if I couldnt type 100 words a minute and read mega quickly I wouldnt stand a chance of manging to use the internet as much as I do for things like forum whilst still maintaining a sufficient standard in my work for my employers to be happy to pay me a fairly good wage.
Old 21-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

another thread going down in flames

there's a few people here with massive chips on their shoulders
Old 21-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Chip

Im off to work now
Thats fantastic news mate.
(as the streets round here are quite dirty)
Old 21-10-2010, 01:48 PM
gaz s1

Exaclty, if I couldnt type 100 words a minute and read mega quickly I wouldnt stand a chance of manging to use the internet as much as I do for things like forum whilst still maintaining a sufficient standard in my work for my employers to be happy to pay me a fairly good wage.
your my hero, let me guess single but maybe a girlfriend but nothing long term and no kids no wonder youre on here so much assumptions is the gift of the internet, got to go now been fun!
Old 21-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip i happen to be comfortable enough in life that i can do most things i want to do and i NEVER have moaned about how hard life is for me AT ALL or moaned about money or what the government should do for me

i cant be bothered to do further education as it WONT give me any more money in the job i want to do so instead i spend money on educational software for my little girl who will benifit from it alot more,,,,,,,,,,, fuck going to evening class just so i can read passionford and write a reply with perfect spelling

but then again im off in a min to collect my child from school,,, with all the benifit scroungers
Old 21-10-2010, 01:51 PM
gaz s1

i dont live near you sorry so you wlill have to get someone else to pick your bits of skull up as your brain is so big its bursting out of your head at the seams
Old 21-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i found that quite a witty reply myself
Old 21-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Chip

i dont live near you sorry so you wlill have to get someone else to pick your bits of skull up as your brain is so big its bursting out of your head at the seams
My brain isnt physically significantly bigger than yours Im sure, its just appears to be better tuned, a bit like a 16v engine versus an 8v one
Old 21-10-2010, 03:08 PM
arch

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Historically I would say that if people were a little bit slow mentally and needed somewhere to work and live all handed to them on a plate with good job security that they should simply join the army or the police but sadly that is becoming a narrowing field of opportunity now with all these public sector cuts
Blimey, so now I'm retarded as well
Old 21-10-2010, 03:15 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well,I`m a bit split on all this really,but i haven`t read all the postings even though I`m unemployed with time on my hands!!!

Personally,I think some of this private sector work is just a total pisstake.I`ve just closed up my own business and I had to get the council man around to confirm that the unit is empty,if he was there 2 minutes i`d be surprised,nearer 90seconds i`d say.He was desperate to meet me at 4pm on a Friday,hmmm,work that one out,last call of the day perhaps?

Last Christmas i was on my way to the scrappy,3 dolly birds there with council embroidered fleeces on (wtf?) taking photos of gas bottles that had been left outside,apparently,more like trying to catch people dropping off scrap without a carrier licence,most of them looked like private people but they dont see it like that.

They were going round all the old boys garages that do little jobs,you know the types,been hobbling for 40 years,not harming anyone really trying to close them down a week before xmas for not paying business rates,fuck me these boys only do it half the time to help their neighbours out etc.

I had absolutely no help whatsoever when I started my business,I didn`t require it at first but as time went on,I did,my banked laughed at me,a quick chat with citizens advice showed me I was entitled to nothing so I had to find other ways of getting the money (legally I promise!!).

The police are a total joke too,they`ll have you for over axle weight or windows with too much tint on them but when theres a genuine crime they do fuck all,total piss taking cunts.I had two of them round my house snooping the other day,I`d got a car for a mate of mine through the ford discount scheme and it was put in my name.He`s subsequently been caught for some heavy stuff so understandably they were investigating how he financed the car.Then they started asking me whether I`d been given any money,did I know what he was up to,seems a very nice area that i`m living in,how much do houses cost around here?

Fuck me,listen to what I`ve got to say before judging me as some sort of criminal mastermind!!

HOWEVER!!
I just hope these cuts don`t go too deep. I mean,we can talk about pensions etc but if all these people are unemployed,then how can they contribute back into the economy?After all,their unlikely to leave with nothing,I`ve been on a union and believe me,the workforce hold the upper hand in these negotiations,a lot of them will just be moved into different organisations/departments etc,buried so to speak so the actual savings may well differ from those quoted.

The point i`m making is where I live in Swansea nearly 40% of the current workforce work in the public sector,so that theoretically affects the remaining 30% of us who work in the private sector as the shopkeepers,pubs,clubs,gyms,cafes,resturants struggle to cope with the downturn of people who no longer use them,christ at Christmas time the dvla book out whole bars and clubs for their xmas do!How many rely on that as part of their annual income?

For me personally,Swansea has nothing to offer as far as employment goes in my field (industrial electrician) so I`m looking a lot further afield for work,and diversifying my job interests a bit.18 months ago when I took redundancy there were quite a few jobs out there on one website,last time I checked there were 6 in the whole of Wales,oh dear.The best sort of cash I could get was about £24k a year,same as what I earnt back in 1999-2000,and that included 6 months of the financial year on apprentice wages.I never dipped below £40k after that,maxing out at £60k one year,but on average,£50-55k with no probs at all.

These cuts are harsh no doubt,but in all honesty if you earn £44k a year,would you really miss £15 per week child benifit?It makes sense to me to cut it in those cases.

As I`m self employed or considered so,I have to wait 17weeks until I can recieve any sort of benifit,how the fuck is that meant to help me?By my calculations thats the end of January and my savings wont get me that far,fucking ridiculous.

Tough times ahead for all of us,my only saving grace is that despite all my financial problems over the last 7 months I`ve still overpaid into my mortgage so I`ve only got 8 years left now, thank fuck.

Good luck to all and if anyone needs help regarding redundancies etc give me a shout as I know a bit about it and can try and help you.

Old 21-10-2010, 03:51 PM
l0ubie
keepin' it ol' skool

chip mentioned earlier how dare people have good jobs without education.....

i do and worked hard for it.
due to a close death i gave up on my a levels because i couldnt cope, got a job in london and have worked my way up to what is a fairly respectable job and salary at my age (22).

However, my other half, who as chip stated earlier, must be stupid.......
he works long days for not much more than minimum wage and struggles to maintain a comfortable life.
this is because the sector that he works in, has been affected by the recession badly.
He can't get to work without his car (no public transport) but can barely afford to run it, pays rent, but can just about afford to feed himself some weeks...... is that fair????
for someone that works hard, has to suffer like that and be paid pitence!

o and i will be going back to work in the public sector soon!
you may moan, but without us where would alot of you lot be!!!!

no firemen = fire you could ultimately die,
no doctors/nurses/paramedics = you become ill/have accident you could ultimately die.
police = without police the country would run riot with no enforcement of rules.

and behind those 3 basic public sectors that people seem to be forgetting about they dont see the thousands of people that help them.
mechanics that work on the ambulances/fire trucks, without those they dont have a working ambulance/fire engine which will impact on you,
the 'pen pushers' in hospitals, that make sure your notes are kept up to date etc, because your allegic to a drug and a 'pen pusher' isnt there to add that to your notes, you might be prescribed it in an emergency and it ultimately kill you.

alot of you people need to realise without the public sector this country would not survive, so you can winge and moan, and like someone quoted previously, 'doctors get paid too much'
you try doing what they do................
training for 6 years, 2 years of further on the job training, dealing with death, making live saving decisions without the aid of a textbook, counselling relatives, being able to give advice.........
i think personally they deeserve all the money they get!!!

but thats my opinions not any one elses!
Old 21-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Young people getting blown to pieces to protect this poxy country, good job our grandads were retarded

Ever heard of somethign called conscription?

My Grandfather went in the army because he was called up by the government... not cos he chose it as his career!
Old 21-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by l0ubie
chip mentioned earlier how dare people have good jobs without education.....
No I didnt.

However, my other half, who as chip stated earlier, must be stupid.......
he works long days for not much more than minimum wage and struggles to maintain a comfortable life.
this is because the sector that he works in, has been affected by the recession badly.
If he chooses to stay in that job long term then yes he must be.
I was very clear it was only people who choose to stay long term in a career that they work hard at and get no reward from that I am saying must be stupid in some manner (the exception being peopel like charity workers but their reward is satisfcation not payment)

alot of you people need to realise without the public sector this country would not survive, so you can winge and moan, and like someone quoted previously, 'doctors get paid too much'
you try doing what they do................
training for 6 years, 2 years of further on the job training, dealing with death, making live saving decisions without the aid of a textbook, counselling relatives, being able to give advice.........
i think personally they deeserve all the money they get!!!
Indeed, if they require 8 years of education and training before they can start their job then thats a good example of the sort of job that I feel deserves a higher entry salary than one that requires no education.

but thats my opinions not any one elses!
Well at least you ended your post giving your opinion as you seemed more interested in starting it making one up that im suppose to have
Old 21-10-2010, 04:20 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

This thread is just awesome

Going back to the higher education thing briefly; I am a mature student, so was considered to be an independent learner, with no financial support from my family. Someone stated that we get loads of discounts and all that jazz, which isn't really true in many ways. YES, some of my student loan has been substituted by a maintenance grant that I don't have to pay back, but I am still elligible for the full fee amount, totaling approx. £3300 for every year. Couple that with the amount of loan I have to pay back, and I will still owe in excess of £20k by the time I leave, so I'm hardly getting a cheap deal am I? I think it's far more criminal that rich kids are getting loan chucked at them left right and centre. A guy I lived with in my first year had his dad paying for all of it, fees and everything, and all his loan was tucked up in an ISA, earning him interest!

However, in the field I am studying, I believe it's worthwhile, and I'm willing to take the gamble of big student debt in order to better myself, improve my skills and knowledge, which should allow me to get a better job at the end of it. I don't have access to help from my parents, so I have to get by on my own, so without the support I receive, I wouldn't be here and wouldn't be able to afford to do it. The flip side of this is; that I should get a higher paid job and pay more tax back into the system, so I'm not really robbing anyone, as I'll be paying for it in the long term.

As for those saying it's unfair that some people earn a low amount for doing certain jobs, well, that's just tough shit really isn't it. I agree with Chip and co; if you think it's unfair then go and retrain and try and find a better job. I wasn't especially well qualified before coming to uni (I had a couple of A levels, but in pretty useless subjects), and ended up out of work for a few months after having several shit, low paid jobs. I nagged and nagged at the Job Centre people and got onto a basic NVQ level training course in vehicle mechanics to give me a starting point, took the plunge and applied for uni, doing a Foundation Degree in Motorsport Tech, managed to get into that, worked to get a pass with a distinction, and got the course leader to let me get onto the BEng Auto Engineering course, and now have potential to earn way more than I ever did before (provided I get a good pass grade of course!).

Like I said, I'd been on benefits, went through periods of doing shit jobs, or scraping together pennies to pay the bills and all that business (even when at uni), but my view is that you don't get anywhere by sitting on your arse moaning about it, you need to just get on with it. The routes are there, you just have to look for them and make people listen to what you want to do. It took me a while to realise it at the time, I'd gotten lazy and fed up of it all, but you just have to get off your arse and put the work in, you don't get something for nothing in this world.

And on the subject of Gaz and his obsession with Polish stealing our jobs; if you were running a business, who would you employ? The whinging Brit who has no aspiration and does the bare minimum, always complaining about hours/conditions/pay, or the Polish lad who comes in on time every day, works his arse off, and is grateful for the money you pay him? There is a reason that foreign workers flourish in this country, and they aren't to blame for it at all.

Last edited by massivewangers; 21-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 21-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

Originally Posted by massivewangers
A guy I lived with in my first year had his dad paying for all of it, fees and everything, and all his loan was tucked up in an ISA, earning him interest!
Where's the logic in that ? Surely he'd have to pay back more than the interest he'd saved anyway

Anywho.. i'm not here to bitch and moan about what the government did this time, i'm here to say..

Deal with it, stop fuckin moaning about it and just get on with life, like you're going to have to after you've finished fucking moaning about it anyway.

That, is all.
Old 21-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Mk1-stu
Where's the logic in that ? Surely he'd have to pay back more than the interest he'd saved anyway
Nope, its mega low interest.
Old 21-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

not read whole thread...

My opinion is its about time that the public sector was hit... and hit hard! Way too many people have had it to good for to long. You could cull it by half and it would all still operate inefficiently

End of the day, us private workershave been through bads times... redundancys etc. Don't recall many strikes which I bet we will see shortly by the public workers.

Someone mentioned but what work will they do..? Its no diffrent from when the private sector was hit.. people do what they have to!!!

Sooner this happens the better! Of course I feel sorry for those people.... but were they feeling sorry for me last Xmas when I was told that my company was making cut backs, redundancy's etc... were they f*ck. Luckily I was kept on.....
Old 21-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal.
I disagree totally with that! Why should a 'qualification' determine what sort of wage you can earn?
It doesnt, the richest person i know left school with owt qualifications now a multi-millionaire, he left at 14, I struggled on till 22 to get the qualifications to help me get ahead . He had made his first million while i was still studying . He knocked buildings down right up his steet.
Old 21-10-2010, 06:30 PM
gaz s1

im not obsessed with the polish, its just now jobs are scarce and if benefits are being stopped to put the english on benefits back to work, then surely the foreign workers have to leave so the english can fill those jobs(which they will do or lose benefits). So how can this policy make sense if you have foreign workers taking up all these jobs so the unemployed brits cant get a job anyway so cant stop their benefits anyway so we are back to square one, its the eu thats fucked it all up back to trade agreements i say and not this european superstate bollocks that costs us millions a day and for what??

This thread just typifies the country, everyone turning on everyone else and looking out for number 1, must be the start of Camerons big society

Last edited by gaz s1; 21-10-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 21-10-2010, 06:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

L0ubie - is this the same boyfriend who smokes a lot of weed? How does he pay for that of he can barely feed himself some weeks?? Someone's got very odd priorities!

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 21-10-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 21-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
L0ubie - is this the same boyfriend who smokes a lot of weed? How does he pay for that of he can barely feed himself some weeks?? Simeones got very odd priorities!

Bet it is
Old 21-10-2010, 06:53 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

but my view is that you don't get anywhere by sitting on your arse moaning about it, you need to just get on with it. The routes are there, you just have to look for them and make people listen to what you want to do. It took me a while to realise it at the time, I'd gotten lazy and fed up of it all, but you just have to get off your arse and put the work in, you don't get something for nothing in this world.
Ex-fucking-actly!!!
Old 21-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Dlatch!
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

too much redtape in general in todays britain hence the need for so many non jobs that we really don't need.

i doubt anyone would argue against paying people to be policemen,nurses,doctors,firemen,bin men.. ect

sadly those usefull people most likely make up 50% of the public sector workers i bet if you went through every public sector department/local council and looked at each persons job and evaluated if that job actually needed doing you could cut at least 30% maybe more.
but to do so would mean removing all the bullshit paperwork which is sustaining these people in their non jobs.

what you do with the millions unemployed is another matter though those with some drive/ambition would not stay out of work long those that were just freeloaders will doubtless continue to be freeloaders only difference is they won't have their pretend job to goto.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:21 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Anyone that thinks whipping the public sector down is nuts IMO. The amount of PRIVATE sector companies that rely on trade is enormous. The section I worked in had a budget of £40 million just in housing and I know of at least 3 companies that will fold instantly when the cuts bite, the others may survive but will have very hard times. That’s 1 council and 1 section. Where are these private sector jobs coming from? If you think that the service you receive is poor now, it’ll be way worse in a years time and will you be paying any less for it? I moved on but genuinely feel sorry for those that will be on the dole and claiming benefit come April adding to the mess.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

The whinging Brit who has no aspiration and does the bare minimum, always complaining about hours/conditions/pay, or the Polish lad who comes in on time every day, works his arse off, and is grateful for the money you pay him? There is a reason that foreign workers flourish in this country, and they aren't to blame for it at all.
exactly!!! the working class british worker is to blame for the shit reputation british working class have in business.

L0ubie - is this the same boyfriend who smokes a lot of weed? How does he pay for that of he can barely feed himself some weeks?? Someone's got very odd priorities!
indeed. its the same with smokers and heavy drinkers whinging about being skint. your skint because you smoke or drink alot.
Old 22-10-2010, 08:08 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
indeed. its the same with smokers and heavy drinkers whinging about being skint. your skint because you smoke or drink alot.
Or people with pets, or Sky, or massive tellys, or cars on finance, etc etc...

There are SO many ways to save money and live within your means, and so many people think that they have a right to surround themselves with luxuries when they can't really afford them.
Old 22-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah pets are a fucking expensive hobby, my cat already cost me a 380 quid vet bill PLUS his food and treats,,,,,,, and the scratch post he seems to love killing rather than just scratch it a bit

dan the thing is though it was made so easy for people to splurge with someone elses money then they pulled the shutters down on it and everyone now claims they are skint,,,,, when in reality they are just paying back the debts
Old 22-10-2010, 09:11 AM
daviddunlop83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or people with pets, or Sky, or massive tellys, or cars on finance, etc etc...

There are SO many ways to save money and live within your means, and so many people think that they have a right to surround themselves with luxuries when they can't really afford them.
I know where you are coming from but nots always true

Like when i moved into my first house there in feb, i already had my bed and wanted the matching wardrobe and beside cabinets etc and they were nearly £1000 which i did have the money to buy them straight out but harveys offered interest free credit over a year, so i thought i will do that and keep the grand in my bank as a safety net because i didnt know what bills would come up cause ive never owned a house before.

Thats an example of not living beyond my means cause i took credit. I havent missed a payment and its basically paid off. If anything it was a sensible thing to do giving me some safety if any thing came unexpected.

But i do agree with you on its people who know they cant afford the monthly payments and go and get loads of say for sake of arguement furniture and finance it or credit card it up and have no intension or know they will struggle badly paying it back which causes the problem of being skint.
Old 22-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

I'm struggling to survive. Seriously considering selling 1 of my 7 houses. I'm now down to earning just £1125 a week.

Things are so hard.
Old 22-10-2010, 09:36 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
dan the thing is though it was made so easy for people to splurge with someone elses money then they pulled the shutters down on it and everyone now claims they are skint,,,,, when in reality they are just paying back the debts
No one forced anyone to take credit. It may have been 'easy' but that doesn't mean that the companies offering credit are to blame in any way.

The sensible family makes sure there's always something in the pot for a rainy day, and lives within their means.
Old 22-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

dan reality is not everyone is clever with money, some people just spend there months wages and if they have extra at the end of the month then treat them selves again

you need to be licenced to give out loans and as such should NOT give out loans to people who in reality could cause a issue for them in the future

20k loan for a car with someone who is earning a grand a month and living with mummy are the people im refering too as most kids at the age of 18 aint really used to having cash so WILL get fucked over

i got myself into 20k worth of debt just pissing it up the wall and sticking it up my nose as a young kid all i done was apply for credit cards and loans,,,, reason for loans "holiday" and aslong as i never missed a payment the money was accepted,,,,,, at one point i was paying out 700 quid a month just in debts i think it was and i was earning less than a grand a month

ok it was cause i was stupid and YES i have learnt ALOT from that hence i just have a credit card that,,,,, tbh i pay the min payment but i could pay it all off in a month if i wanted to and thats used for tickets and other online purchases due to insurance

NOW if i was told " sorry mate cant afford that" or you have had too many loans this year then i would tbh just spent by my own pocket rather that " cool ill get another loan"

though that said i did manange to clear my bank account out last october to january by enjoying life and not thinking about my spending but i learnt from that
Old 22-10-2010, 10:50 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

"any further increase in tuition fees is going to put the kids from middle income families off going as the debt will be too daunting a prospect. the welathiest will still go as they can afford it and the poorest will still go cos its free!"

this means that in the future people like YOU and ME will be simply priced out of going to uni completely.

I have to admit this was the main reason that I didn't go to uni,although this was back in the days of grants and not student loans......I didn't qualify for them either,my mother was a supply teacher and my father worked in the Dvla.

Realistically they bought a house beyond their means,but personally I had worked in jobs since I was 9-10 years old so I wouldn't have relied on them anyway,but the thought of three years of no cash to get a degree that didn't particularly gain me a lot of cash simply wasn't worth it in my case.

Certain jobs require it of course,but right now theres a mass of people out there with degrees who won't get better paid jobs as they then have to pay the loan back.I know at least 5 people who've done this.

I'm not certain,but I think my boy will be interested in uni meaning we will have to make sacrifices to get him through.I'll be making it quite clear to him that he's only going if it's a course of any worth or value,if he thinks he's going there to finish up earning £20k a year he can forget it,he can earn that without going through higher Ed.

Harsh?maybe,but I'd sooner give him £20k to get on the property ladder than £20k to piss up the wall and end up working in a fucking office 'cos it's "easier".

As I said previously,tough times ahead.

Chip,to be fair mate I do tend to agree with the majority of what you say on most occasions however at the moment mate the job Market is really dire and there are a hell of a lot of peeps out there literally working for £6-7 per hour 12 hours a day just to make ends meet,their not stupid people either I can promise you but when the wolfs at the door sometimes you drop your standards to survive.

When the recession first kicked in around 2008 there were sparks jobs being advertised at £7 per hour near me,I earned more than that on my apprenticeship in 97-98 and I was only in my 4th year on days!

I've been both sides of the fence in the last few years,having run my own firm.I can see how frustrating if is from the other side of the fence.many weeks we had no work,people nor turning up etc and I STILL had to pay wages.theft,absence,tiredness,it all takes it's toll on resources so I can understand that employers need to try and reduce fixed costs as these are what kill you off nowadays,but there's plenty of employers out there who are taking big advantages of people as well,and it's very disheartening.

Im educated up to college level,not higher Ed and I certainly believe it's been a massive help in finding work,however,in my game it can be catch 22 as a lot of it boils down to experience rather than bits of paper.in fact I believe I might be employed as soon as the next fortnight in the local steelworks as a spark,which would be amazing for me.

Fingers crossed!!!

Quick Reply: Public Sectors turn for a recession....