General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Assignment writing people what do you think ?

Search this Thread

Old 13-10-2010, 06:39 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Assignment writing people what do you think ?

define equality, diversity and inclusion in relation to teaching and learning

In this assignment I will try to define equality, diversity and inclusion in relation to teaching and learning. I intend to include academic references to back up my statements from a variety of texts.
Colleges as well as other educational establishments have been encouraged to improve practices with a view to promoting equality of opportunity to ensure that, as far as possible, groups and individuals who are educationally, socially and economically disadvantaged have the same opportunities for success as other groups of the population. ( Hayes, A p.30 )
This view is reiterated by the Peterborough Regional College policy ( 2008 ) which states
“ The college embraces fully the principles of Equality and Diversity, widening participation and providing access to education and training for people of all backgrounds, abilities, ages, ethnic origins, religion, gender and sexual orientation.”
There has been a range of literature written from various organisations that promote fair opportunities for all, not least from government legislation which asks of all schools and colleges to promote equality, diversity and inclusion in their policies.
Teachers need to be familiar with current policies and procedures with regard to equality and diversity within their organisation. These will clearly state the roles and responsibilities for dealing with direct or indirect discrimination and promoting equality of opportunity.
We must be consistent in our attempts to encourage students from a wide background to participate in learning and do our utmost to give advice when needed, or point learners in the right direction for assistance.
It is good practice to consistently reflect on our own attitudes and knowledge regarding
the people we teach, therefore, we must ask ourselves. Do we know enough about them as individuals? Do we recognise them and value their differences?
According to The Tomlinson Report Inclusive Learning ( 1996 ) Professor John Tomlinson was asked to research and report on educational provision for learners with learning difficulties and disabilities. The final document, however, had implications for all learners and was a keystone in the development of inclusive education. ( Scales, P. p 274 )
The Tomlinson committee moved from focusing on those with learning difficulties and disabilities to a wider learner-centred approach for all. The result were that all learners are unique in there own way with individual needs and experiences and that it is the duty of the educational providers to accommodate individual learners and find ways to meet their requirements.

This research is backed up further by the highly influential Kennedy Report on widening participation in education and training made it clear that the economic success of the UK
“ Will depend upon maximising the potential of all. Drawing upon the talents of an educational elite, or even an educated majority, will not be enough. Social cohesion will only be achieved if the capacity of everyone to contribute to and benefit from the social, cultural and personal dimensions of their lives is developed through learning.” ( Hayes, A. p.29 )
In conclusion, it would appear that various research concur with each other regarding equality, diversity and inclusion in the education sector.
I would like to finish with an appropriate quote from Albert Einstein:

“ It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression.”

What are your opinions on this does it get to the point of the title well ?
Old 13-10-2010, 07:24 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In this assignment I will try to define equality, diversity and inclusion in relation to teaching and learning. I intend to include academic references to back up my statements from a variety of texts.
Colleges as well as other educational establishments have been encouraged to improve practices with a view to promoting equality of opportunity to ensure that, as far as possible, groups and individuals who are educationally, socially and economically disadvantaged and differently abled have the same opportunities for success as other groups of the population. ( Hayes, A p.30 )
This view is reiterated by the Peterborough Regional College policy ( 2008 ) which states
“ The college embraces fully the principles of Equality and Diversity, widening participation and providing access to education and training for people of all backgrounds, abilities, ages, ethnic origins, religion, gender and sexual orientation.”
There has been a range of literature written from various organisations that promote fair opportunities for all, not least from government legislation which asks of all schools and colleges to promote equality, diversity and inclusion in their policies.
Teachers need to be familiar with current policies and procedures with regard to equality and diversity within their organisation. These will clearly state the roles and responsibilities for dealing with direct or indirect discrimination and promoting equality of opportunity.
We must be consistent in our attempts to encourage students from a wide background to participate in learning and do our utmost to give advice when needed, or point learners in the right direction for assistance.
It is good practice to consistently reflect on our own attitudes and knowledge regarding
the people we teach, therefore, we must ask ourselves. Do we know enough about them as individuals? Do we recognise them and value their differences?
According to The Tomlinson Report Inclusive Learning ( 1996 ) Professor John Tomlinson was asked to research and report on educational provision for learners with learning difficulties and disabilities. The final document, however, had implications for all learners and was a keystone in the development of inclusive education. ( Scales, P. p 274 )
The Tomlinson committee moved from focusing on those with learning difficulties and disabilities to a wider learner-centred approach for all. The result were that all learners are unique in there own way with individual needs and experiences and that it is the duty of the educational providers to accommodate individual learners and find ways to meet their requirements.

This research is backed up further by the highly influential Kennedy Report on widening participation in education and training made it clear that the economic success of the UK
“ Will depend upon maximising the potential of all. Drawing upon the talents of an educational elite, or even an educated majority, will not be enough. Social cohesion will only be achieved if the capacity of everyone to contribute to and benefit from the social, cultural and personal dimensions of their lives is developed through learning.” ( Hayes, A. p.29 )
In conclusion, it would appear that various research concur with each other regarding equality, diversity and inclusion in the education sector.

I like it but I would add the bit I highlighted in red as I don't think you included disabled in that sentence. I don't know your reading list, but I can recommend Adults Learning by Jenny Rogers (OU Press) and Adult Learning, Adult teaching (by Daines C & J and Graham B Welsh academic Press)____
(Can I add that this isn't Andy, it's the brains of the operation heehee Mandy)
Old 13-10-2010, 07:36 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Originally Posted by andy escos
Colleges as well as other educational establishments have been encouraged to improve practices with a view to promoting equality of opportunity to ensure that, as far as possible, groups and individuals who are educationally, socially and economically disadvantaged and differently abled have the same opportunities for success as other groups of the population. ( Hayes, A p.30 )

I like it but I would add the bit I highlighted in red as I don't think you included disabled in that sentence. I don't know your reading list, but I can recommend Adults Learning by Jenny Rogers (OU Press) and Adult Learning, Adult teaching (by Daines C & J and Graham B Welsh academic Press)____
(Can I add that this isn't Andy, it's the brains of the operation heehee Mandy)
Lol ! Thank you Mandy, it is actually my mums work, when I read it I didn't quite feel she included the actual point of the assignment "define equality, diversity and inclusion in relation to teaching and learning" overly well but almost went off track a little but I'm not all the clued up so may be way off track with that assumption !

Appreciate your help got her panicking
Old 13-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Mrs Jtechsaff
500bhp saff cossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What level of qualification is it? It really depends on how they want the assignment written.

I am not sure she has mentioned how it affects the actual teaching methods, ie making sure that a teacher uses a variety of teaching methods to ensure all candidates are included. This could be ensuring that during a lesson a teacher uses visual aids as well as audio and hands on practical activities to ensure that everyone has an equal chance of taking in the same information.

I have my similar assignment somewhere if you need anymore information.

Hope thats useful.
Old 13-10-2010, 07:47 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Thanks for that I will let her know see what she thinks really helpful having others opinions !