General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Wheel refurb

Search this Thread

Old 21-09-2010, 09:25 PM
ricky_2006
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel refurb

What you reckon. I think it's a quality price.

My friends dad knows a geezer who has a company who refurbs wheel. Its mobile so he come round to you and does it.

£35 a wheel. Inc vat. So cash basically
Old 21-09-2010, 10:47 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ricky_2006
What you reckon. I think it's a quality price.

My friends dad knows a geezer who has a company who refurbs wheel. Its mobile so he come round to you and does it.

£35 a wheel. Inc vat. So cash basically

Mate,think carefully.if it's a set of run of the mill wheels fine,but I just refurbed a set of 4 fiesta St alloys and charged my mate £160,which is as cheap as you can go on a refurb IMHO.

I've seen the work of these mobile boys and generally it's abysmal,it took me all day to sand and prep the wheels,say 6 hours.then the full clean up before paint,paint,laquer,drying times meant I told the customer 2-3 days,he won't be doing that in the back of a van.

There's a guy across from me who charges £20 per wheel,he dosent even clean the wheels first,just masks up and sprays over,dosent break the tyre bead or sand them properly.the last set he did you can even see where he painted over the brake dust!!!

I always showed customers his work to show we cost more!!
Old 22-09-2010, 05:58 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

plenty of good refurbers around ,its just checking their rep out
Old 22-09-2010, 06:17 AM
ricky_2006

This geezer does it for Lexus mate. And also alot of other fleets. So he must be good. He said it will take 2 hours????? But as long as it's not diamond cut.

Where you based then mate
Old 22-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

I know this guy who knows this other guy who is mates with a guy who knows some other guy that refurbs wheels too.

Sorry but what is the point in this thread again? You trying to push business to this monkey?

I go on PERSONAL reccomendation not hearsay.
Old 22-09-2010, 07:23 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ricky_2006
This geezer does it for Lexus mate. And also alot of other fleets. So he must be good. He said it will take 2 hours????? But as long as it's not diamond cut.

Where you based then mate

That sounds pretty good then mate,I suppose he could have a shot blast cabinet which would save a lot of time.all I'm saying is check his work first and see if your happy as the price is good.

What I'm getting at is if it's a set of mega rare alloys that you want to keep for sometime you maybe better off going to a paintshop to tell them your requirements so you get a factory finish.

I'm in port Talbot work wise mate,although I've just done my last job,so to answer rick astleys question no I'm not touting for work!!!!

Anything you want to know regarding paintwork,drop me a pm.
Old 22-09-2010, 07:27 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rick Astley
I know this guy who knows this other guy who is mates with a guy who knows some other guy that refurbs wheels too.

Sorry but what is the point in this thread again? You trying to push business to this monkey?

+1 for the personal recommendation,always best to see examples of completed work.

Quite often,people use the line " I just want a quick blow over,nothing special", then when u explain it's only x price more to get a much better job,the peeps who care about their cars usually go for that,saves dissapointment!

Trending Topics

Old 22-09-2010, 09:52 AM
ricky_2006

Originally Posted by Rick Astley

Hang about son. Where is this going.

Read my thread properly. I'm asking opinions wether it's a good price not fucking pushing business

And no they are from my st170 standard wheels.

And I WANA state my mate dad works for Lexus and the geezer does all the wheels there. In not trying to fucking push business as I clearly haven't put he's name down so behave mate and don't post pointless replys
Old 22-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Chris Latham
Parts Restoring Nutter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said, if he is a propper wheel man with a top set up like, bead breaker, blast cabinet and wheel booth in his van then im sure you will do a good job although ask to see some of his work first so that you are happy with it.

If he is a smart repair guy then chances are that he will just jack the car up, mask off the tyre, repair scuff and paint outer face of alloy.
I would walk away if he does this mate.

If he is a propper mobile wheel restorer then he will take the wheels off, fully degrease them, fill any curbing/scuffs, da sand, Prime, then two coats of 2K base coat along with 2k ISO lacquer.

He will then cure them with IR or UV, whatever his set up is.

Price for above is average from £50 per wheel.

As someone once told me, you get what you pay for.

Can you post up some pics of your alloys so that i can see how much work is involved etc?

CheeRS

Chris @ PRP
Old 22-09-2010, 10:33 AM
ricky_2006

@vaughant. He actually charges around £50-£55 a g
Wheel normally