General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Help with privately renting a house

Search this Thread

Old 19-09-2010, 07:58 AM
rsdan2evn
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with privately renting a house

Me and the gf are currently living in a council house and thought it was about time we moved in to a nicer house. So were looking at renting. Been looking at some prices and i can afford them, but the problem is i have had a bit of a shit finical past. Does this mean were out the question already? My gf has got credit status but she does not earn as much as i do. What can we do to help us with our application?

Cheers
Old 19-09-2010, 08:02 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Well credit history shouldn't effect it unless your land lords does the searches on you (but you have to give them permission to do so anyway)

I think you worrying about it too much. All you probably need it proof you have kept up the rent with the council place with a statement or a reference.

Your financial past really only comes into play when you get a mortgage.
Old 19-09-2010, 08:03 AM
rsdan2evn
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by MadMac
Well credit history shouldn't effect it unless your land lords does the searches on you (but you have to give them permission to do so anyway)

I think you worrying about it too much. All you probably need it proof you have kept up the rent with the council place with a statement or a reference.

Ok thanks for the info there mate, does that account if u go through estate agents to?
Old 19-09-2010, 08:05 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by rsdan2evn
Ok thanks for the info there mate, does that account if u go through estate agents to?
Its down to the estate agent, but to be fair there are so many legal implications to do credit searches on people its unlikely they will ask it.

Like I said, you need to show you have some track history with paying the rent on the council place. Print that off and take that in with you. But to be fair, they may not even ask for that. They will probably ask you how much you earn and so on and so on.
Old 19-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Rob493
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Me and my wife have been renting for the last couple of years we have lived in three dif properties and every time have had to go through credit checks we have also been knocked back on a couple of properties through certain agents even though we both earn a good wage and have worked at the same companies for the last 10 years, we had to give our employer details witch the agents did check and they checked our monthly income we then went through credit checks we needed refrences the lot took ages to sort lol so to be honest m8 from our experience its not that easy you will get checked just like your aplying for a loan and if they find something they will knock you back
Old 19-09-2010, 08:35 AM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

All estate agents credit check and so do some private landlords. I don't personally on my house I rent.
Old 19-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Rob493
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by john
All estate agents credit check and so do some private landlords. I don't personally on my house I rent.
I was gunna say bout private lanlords but didnt relise they done them to, its def not as easy as pep think we have been renting through our current agent for the last six mnths and are looking at going back to our previouse agents even though it was only six mnths ago we still have to go through all the checks again and get refrences its crazy wasnt long ago we rented through them never missed our rent got our whole deposit back wen we moved and still have to go through the checks again
Old 19-09-2010, 09:20 AM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

i was gonna say down here to rent you have to have a credit check done, i do get it but there must be a fair few people out there that are fucked because of it
Old 19-09-2010, 10:23 AM
mark r
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you stay where u are in ur council house,nothing wrong with living in council houses,why make some private landlord richer.keep ur money and you and ur misses got more cash to spend on urselfs and the thhings u want in live or save and put money towards ur own house.
Old 19-09-2010, 11:44 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark r
why dont you stay where u are in ur council house,nothing wrong with living in council houses,why make some private landlord richer.keep ur money and you and ur misses got more cash to spend on urselfs and the thhings u want in live or save and put money towards ur own house.
That would be my first option if neighbours etc are ok, you can choose a house but you can't choose your neighbours.
I'v rented for 20 odd years never been checked, maybe I have an honest face, more like a crimewtach uk face!!
Just take loads of photos of the place condition etc, every landlord has tried to screw me for deposit, one even took me to court for £240, cost him £1100 in solicitors fees but he's happy even though he lost!!
tabetha
Old 19-09-2010, 02:27 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadMac

Just about everywhere does a credit check now, i know private landlord's that do it now.