General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

rev counter makes my engine cut out!!! pinto

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
V8monster
Grease Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rev counter makes my engine cut out!!! pinto

hi i have a sierra 1.6 azura fitted with my own-built 2.0 pinto on 40's, its got a mental cam so id quite like 2 know what its revving at before i blow it up! being an azura it had a massive clock instead of a rev counter, iv been pissing about with a standard rev counter intrument panel from another sierra and the rev counter is 'live' when plugged in, as if u put the needle below the stopper it lifts itself up when the ignition is switched on; however it just sits at zero. iv tried running a wire straight from the coil, and that sparked and made the engine cut out. We then tried removing the rev counter from the gauge panel and wiring it straight off the battery and coil, but same results. for testing purposes i did the same with a cheesy halfords rev counter and it worked. anyone got any ideas? there are no spare pins on the dash plug, could the rev counter be knackered? cant imagine that causing the car to conk out tho
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A knackered rev counter WILL/CAN cause the car to cut out as it can give a permanent earth to coil so there is no pulse as such from ignition system anymore to coil just constant, so coils stops sparking, it's only upon the negative stopping that the coil collapses and issues a big current from the HT side, with no stopping of the LT side negative there will be no filed collapse and hence no current coming out, sierra rev counters are known for this problem, not very common but does happen to them.
tabetha
Old 08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
V8monster
Grease Monkey

ooops! that'l be why the car i got the rev counter from was in the scrapyard then! feel sorry for the owners, i bet they were tearing their hair out as to why it wouldnt start! (the car was pretty much mint!) anyway thanks for that i'll have to try another bloody dash then!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I fitted a rev counter dash to my UNO 1.1 (well it was 17 years ago!!) and there were 3 pins on the back,2 stalled it and one gave a reading so certainly sounds like a dodgy counter.