General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

your job / work

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default your job / work

how is it with you guys for work now?

after having far too long out of work already, i have been working flat out for the last 3 months and just had the call saying im out of work again?

guess im ringing round again first thing

think i need a change in career, god knows what to tho
Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

from what I see alot of places are paying shit money as they know people are struggling to find work, so much so that theyre starting to take the piss with it.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also need to find a new career........badly and asap!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem for me - People are always needing to travel by train and trains are always needing a driver
Old 04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

fairly busy in my industry!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not suffering in my current job as the locals have more money than sense. BUT, I am trying to come back to the UK, and to echo the above, the salaries on offer for some positions are downright ridiculous. They are banking on people being desperate for work.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by StephenC
from what I see alot of places are paying shit money as they know people are struggling to find work, so much so that theyre starting to take the piss with it.
I have seen this as well. I am looking for a new job just because I want a change but as said no one is paying enough at the moment.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Company I work for seem to have work coming out there ears, its crazy at the minute dont get a minute!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im HGV driver, no shortage of work round here, just shitty long hours but hey its a job,
money isnt terrible
Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

We have been pulled out with work all through the recession, truning it down in some cases, but at the moment we are working just month in front! Hopefully the prices for jobs we have out will come in
Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 PM
erjones
PassionFord Regular

Im at Ford and were currently in summer testing so far too many cars need doing so im off to Monaco for a week to leave them to crack on lol

Nah i enjoy working there at the min so have no problems
Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

we've got 9 drivers, 8 vans and only work for 6 peeps at our depot so i don't know whats going on as they trained up more agency bods in the past fwe weeks
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Very lucky in the fact i have always had a job since leaving school in 87

Steve
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 PM
rsjonny
PassionFord Regular

I got a new job a month ago after my sales engineer role didnt work out(couldnt get into it). I decided I just needed something to get me by so went back to panel building that I used to do as an apprentice. Worked like crazy doing twelve hour night shifts on site for the company for fuck all money and no extra rate only to be pulled into the office a week ago and told that " I dont fit the business needs and that the company is only very small and lucky to still be around then a load of economic crisis waffle and bingo! Ive got no job" No idea why I was let go all I can fathem is that they cant afford to pay me as they kept anouther lad on who is utter shite but is paid less than me. I was on Ł10.00 an hour I am a electrical engineer with loads of qualifications with my greatest qualification a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering, I have ten years experience working in factorys and all over the uk as a commissioning engineer for the power distribution sector. Now Ive been looking for a week and havent got a clue when the next interview is coming no one seems to get back to you anymore if you havent made there shortlists they just leave you hanging. Tbh since I quit working away constantley 6 months ago its been a nightmare finding work so much so Im thinking of trying for a job at Netto and going to re-train in anouther proffession(but even the no qualification jobs wont give me a shot as they look at my cv see my qualifications and say no!). Rant over sorry to be depressing lol
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

ive got a job spraypainter/signfitter but to be honest ive started to really hate it i dread going in day after day i really want to find a diffrent job but suppose i should just be grateful that ive got work, thinkin of doing a night course at college get into a decent trade
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 PM
RUSSELLB1904
Too many projects........

I've lost track on how long i have been out of work for now. Get phonecalls from agencies saying my cv is being passed to the company but never hear anything back.

Even basic jobs i get turned down because of my qualifications and the excuses are the wage i am legally entitled too is the problem as they'd have to pay me too much.

Companies seem to just want to employ people who will work for Ł2 a hour.... WTF....

With my first baby due in just over 9 weeks things are getting desperate for me to find work but nothing is there.... i'd do anything to work, work long hours, 7 days a week if i could.... i just want to work.....
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
rsjonny
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by RUSSELLB1904
I've lost track on how long i have been out of work for now. Get phonecalls from agencies saying my cv is being passed to the company but never hear anything back.

Even basic jobs i get turned down because of my qualifications and the excuses are the wage i am legally entitled too is the problem as they'd have to pay me too much.

Companies seem to just want to employ people who will work for Ł2 a hour.... WTF....

With my first baby due in just over 9 weeks things are getting desperate for me to find work but nothing is there.... i'd do anything to work, work long hours, 7 days a week if i could.... i just want to work.....
Same here mate what is your trade?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
RobL

im in the same boat as you although i do currently have a job that pays decent and im skilled and quite experienced in my field i hate it and dont see it as something i want to be doing much longer but i just cant see a way out atm
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

got made redundant end of March, worse feeling in the world

i'd never been out of work since i left school at 16, so it was a little scary. The worst part about it was i left Nationwide Building Society after 10 years to go back to the company i first worked for when i left school.

The recession hit us hard and i was first to go end of March.

i did everything i could do to earn a crust (still had mortgage to pay) i was an electricians mate, picked up cars for traders, bought and sold cars, serviced peoples cars for them - basically anything!

i applied for jobs paying 8k less than i was on & i could do with my eyes shut, but i never even heard back from them.

thankfully i applied for a job and got it recently! good money and decent prospects too! - chin up for people out of work, there is work out there!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last year was really quite, but since Christmas it's just gone crazy. Think we've had record months back to back. The boss has just ordered another two machines (cnc millers) and will no doubt expect us to do the programming and setting with out hiring anybody else. Shouldn't moan when you read how long some of you have been out of work.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm a student, but I found it nigh-on impossible to find work over summer. Been onto endless agencies, applied for I dont know how many jobs and I only had one interview. I got it, and it's kept me going for a bit, but think I'm gonna jack it in. The guy is a tosser and completely takes the piss, paying proper shit money (less than min. wage, but I had to take it as its all there was), hours are shit, breaks are shit and he treats us like dirt.

I'm lucky in that it isn't too long til I go back to uni now really. I feel really sorry for anyone who is looking for permanent work at the moment, it isn't a good time at all.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
RUSSELLB1904
Too many projects........

Originally Posted by rsjonny
Same here mate what is your trade?
Design Engineer and CNC Machinist/Programmer.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by massivewangers
The guy is a tosser and completely takes the piss, paying proper shit money (less than min. wage, but I had to take it as its all there was), hours are shit, breaks are shit and he treats us like dirt.
grass the cunt up for paying less than minimum wage just before you quit and he will get fucked over and have to pay back the difference

Ive noticed lots of places round my way have stopped offering hourly wage but advertise daily wage or shift wage which calculates out to less than minimum wage.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Im a service manager for a powered access company we are very busy at the mo i have 9 guy's under me and a fleet of over 50 machines that need servicing on site repairs and 6 monthly inspecting , So there is always something for me to do .
I am thinking of going self emloyed, body repair/mechanic though. (Id like to work for my self )
Good luck too all looking for a job
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

I got a new job a month ago after my sales engineer role didnt work out(couldnt get into it). I decided I just needed something to get me by so went back to panel building that I used to do as an apprentice. Worked like crazy doing twelve hour night shifts on site for the company for fuck all money and no extra rate only to be pulled into the office a week ago and told that " I dont fit the business needs and that the company is only very small and lucky to still be around then a load of economic crisis waffle and bingo! Ive got no job" No idea why I was let go all I can fathem is that they cant afford to pay me as they kept anouther lad on who is utter shite but is paid less than me. I was on Ł10.00 an hour I am a electrical engineer with loads of qualifications with my greatest qualification a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering, I have ten years experience working in factorys and all over the uk as a commissioning engineer for the power distribution sector. Now Ive been looking for a week and havent got a clue when the next interview is coming no one seems to get back to you anymore if you havent made there shortlists they just leave you hanging. Tbh since I quit working away constantley 6 months ago its been a nightmare finding work so much so Im thinking of trying for a job at Netto and going to re-train in anouther proffession(but even the no qualification jobs wont give me a shot as they look at my cv see my qualifications and say no!). Rant over sorry to be depressing lol
thats exactly what Ive done. Im also a commissioning engineer. Been working away for 7 years and had my wings clipped so got a job in a static role and money is shit. Been applying for loads but not a sniff.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

offshore industry is a bit funny at the mo, there seems to be plenty of work about and in some cases more work than some companys have the man power for but they sem to refuse to take people on. There are probably loads of lads sat out of work to but if your any good you can find work, people seem to aim for 180 days a year i have managed around 270 days over the last year so i'm not doing bad. Just hope it dont go quiet over winter but the phone keeps ringing and i have a few irons in the fires so i aint worried yet.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

im working for scania at the moment started monday..the works easy the pay and hours are shit tho....im looking to getting back into the steelworks as i like it there when id left the army.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
andyxpax

no probs here as long as they keep at it over seas
Old 05-08-2010, 02:21 AM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

currently working in a distrubution wharehouse for tesco atm ,

its the most heartless sould destroying job ive ever had, the only two things it has going for it is that its steady work at a time were alot of folk are out of work and the lads i work with are a good mob, so we all keep each other going

i woulndt quit because i hate it , but every week there chips a bit of life out of me lol

hence why im looking into working for myself ect

i used to be a curtain waller for 10 odd years worked with my father , it payed well back then but now it seems even thats went really down hill , and well if im honest i couldnt face going bk into it with out my old man ,

just have to remain optimistic and positve ,

i was out of work for the most part of the year so know how fortunate i am atm ,

beef
Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Got told the place I was made redundent from in Jan 2009 has picked up. They made Modular buildings (site buildings/ prison cells/schools classrooms) giving them a call 1st thing to see if theres any openings there.

At the moment i'm a Superb Sales assistant in a Petrol station. Rather do this than be a doleite for the time being.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:44 AM
NoRubNoDub
McGarrity Motorsport

I'm quiting my shity bar job and starting a motorsport engineering course
think I mite to wheel refurbs in my spare time
Old 05-08-2010, 08:20 AM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm in steelwork. We've picked back up after quiet last year.

Had weeks of unpaid, probably about 3 month in total.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by -beefy-

i used to be a curtain waller for 10 odd years worked with my father , it payed well back then but now it seems even thats went really down hill , and well if im honest i couldnt face going bk into it with out my old man ,
Who did you work for mate? Did you fabricate or just install?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 AM
rsjonny
PassionFord Regular

thats exactly what Ive done. Im also a commissioning engineer. Been working away for 7 years and had my wings clipped so got a job in a static role and money is shit. Been applying for loads but not a sniff.
Wondered what your role was saw your post on going on the rigs... Most of my experience is in oil and gas electrical switchgear I still have the opportunity to go on the rigs but unfortunatley it wont just be rig work it will be so many weeks in qatar so many weeks in saudi basically all the shit hole places no one else wants to work. I worked for most of a year on the London Underground as a commissioning engineer and senior authorised person. The money was great but it was just constant working away and Im from huddersfield so its a four hour drive from home. Just wanted to come back to a standard factory role or a site based role with a area like yorkshire/north west but there just isnt any work.

Also where you working at the moment?

Last edited by rsjonny; 05-08-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 AM
daviddunlop83

I was temp unemployed for 2 months before christmas but before that for several months was in reduced hours like 20/25 a week. Im contracted for 35 hours a week.

Started back on reduced hours for a month. Then normal hours in feb then since then we have been so busy, doing basically as much overtime as i want to keep up with the project. So doing about 70 hours overtime a month at the min.

I think sept will be our peak point then back down to normal or less overtime hours which is good from point of it will be like having a holiday doing only 35 hours but i love the extra cash at the end of the month.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:37 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Wondered what your role was saw your post on going on the rigs... Most of my experience is in oil and gas electrical switchgear I still have the opportunity to go on the rigs but unfortunatley it wont just be rig work it will be so many weeks in qatar so many weeks in saudi basically all the shit hole places no one else wants to work. I worked for most of a year on the London Underground as a commissioning engineer and senior authorised person. The money was great but it was just constant working away and Im from huddersfield so its a four hour drive from home. Just wanted to come back to a standard factory role or a site based role with a area like yorkshire/north west but there just isnt any work.

Also where you working at the moment?
did you work for ISS then? I used to work for NSS, mainly doing install and commissioning of schneider gear. I left them to work for S and I in bradford. Intention was to work away but when I got back off holiday on the wednesday and they told me I was off to singapore for 3 months on the sunday she hit the roof!!! So now im in their factory on MV test. Boring as hell and money isnt there at all. Not sure what my next moves going to be. I know schneider pay even less in their factory and its rammed full of polish (people not auto glymn) anyway.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:11 AM
rsjonny
PassionFord Regular

did you work for ISS then? I used to work for NSS, mainly doing install and commissioning of schneider gear. I left them to work for S and I in bradford. Intention was to work away but when I got back off holiday on the wednesday and they told me I was off to singapore for 3 months on the sunday she hit the roof!!! So now im in their factory on MV test. Boring as hell and money isnt there at all. Not sure what my next moves going to be. I know schneider pay even less in their factory and its rammed full of polish (people not auto glymn) anyway.
Jesus lol Yeah I worked for ISS I started my apprenticeship at S&I and my sister and dad still work there.... Bloody hell small world, you must have joined S&I after I left unless you were site services and I never met you. I left in 2008 to go commission conveyor systems then ended up working for ISS on the London Underground with a lad called eddie who used to work for S&I as well. So you will know Danny,Tom,Geoff,amiri,Johnny,Maybe Kyle before he left to join ISS as well,Tbh with you ive been trying to get back to S&I but they say its not possible at the moment Ive spoke to julian he wants to take me back on but apparantley there is not much work. Also looking at schneider factory but dont have any contact details for anyone over there. Tbh money isnt bothering me at the moment having no work at all is!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:34 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Yeah, im under Dan, well not literally!! I started site services May this year then everything kicked off at home and they moved me onto MV test. I think I got your job at ISS but turned them down in the end, was 2 years ago now Id say. They wanted me to go on underground and I knew it would be like you say it is, there forever. Also giving you shit money for digs didnt float my boat either. I dony live like a gypo at home so dont expect to when I go to work. S&I are advertising for a commissioner via Bentley Corporate so not sure why they say its not possible at moment. Tis quiet at moment though, could hear a pin drop in here some days, although Ive not been down here long so have nothing to compare it to. I think im going to have to bite the bullet soon and tell her ive no choice than to work away, the money is shocking been static.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 AM
rsjonny
PassionFord Regular

Yeah, im under Dan, well not literally!! I started site services May this year then everything kicked off at home and they moved me onto MV test. I think I got your job at ISS but turned them down in the end, was 2 years ago now Id say. They wanted me to go on underground and I knew it would be like you say it is, there forever. Also giving you shit money for digs didnt float my boat either. I dony live like a gypo at home so dont expect to when I go to work. S&I are advertising for a commissioner via Bentley Corporate so not sure why they say its not possible at moment. Tis quiet at moment though, could hear a pin drop in here some days, although Ive not been down here long so have nothing to compare it to. I think im going to have to bite the bullet soon and tell her ive no choice than to work away, the money is shocking been static.
Money has always been poor ar S&I tbh I imagine the job they have advertised is for site services as I spoke to Tim around a year ago about a position in there but I know the way them guys work and the false promises they make in that department(tbh there no different to any other company like S&I) When i left it was the start of the credit crunch and the work has been supposed to have been coming for a while... Just checked that website cant see a commissioning role but can see a few other roles at other companies I have previously worked for so cheers for that
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

the false promises they make in that department
you can say that again!! Didnt take long to realise that one

Quick Reply: your job / work