General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mot testers,bit of advice please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:00 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mot testers,bit of advice please!!!

Ok,just in the process of welding up the saff( I know,shocking!???),usual areas,rear chassis rails,floor,front jacking point,inner arch etc.

My question is after welding,would it be unnacceptable to fill or fibreglass where I've ground back ready for underside painting?I'll be seam sealing of course but I'm not the greatest welder so they won't look 100% after grinding hence the question.

Any replies greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:24 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

as long the main points strong there be no problem they do test for rot ,long as it welded an not filled ul be fine .speaking for working in mot garage for few years
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks mate,the weldings coming on fine but I know it's going to look a bit shitty in places!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
Thanks mate,the weldings coming on fine but I know it's going to look a bit shitty in places!!!
when i did jig work i always tiedy up the welds/ repairs with filler never had any problems
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 AM
the mk1 kid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by vaughant
I've not had a problem in the past - as said, as long as its strong/you've got good penertration in the weld.

If your welding isn't great consentrate on the preperation - its obvious stuff, and i hope 'sucking eggs' doesnt come to mind, but if you really clean the surfaces up (better still cut out and start with good solid metal) you'll find it a million times easier. Then its down to welder settings and practice.

Thinking back some of my welding was absymol, but i made a rod for my own back sticking plates of rotten metal, not clamping the two surfaces up tight etc etc..

Tom