General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The british government are giving pakistan £10million to help with the floods

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
RobL
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what goes around comes around,they been flooding our country for years
Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKCOS
Would it not be better using it for the homeless in this country as this country has its own problems.
We already pump millions into the homeless every year in this country, I suspect it makes less difference to the average homeless person here who are largely suffering from a bigger problem (alcoholism, drug abuse, massive family problems, mental health etc) than just not having a home though, where as in the case of the people of pakistan right now, they are desperately fighting to rebuild their lives already and just need a little help.

Money goes a lot further when helping people who are already genuinely trying to help themselves.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by RobL
Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip
Its for a combination of reasons, and im not privvy to enough information to know all of them but I can say with a lot of confidence that "strengthening the special relationship we have with the US" will be one of them.

I personally suspect even if I had ALL the info, I would still not decide to send the troops there if it was up to me, but its impossible to second guess what you would do if you had all the info when you havent got it, so there may be more to it than I realise.
i agree tbh. but stan is another thread
Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RobL
lager meet's keyboard moment

and not in a racist way
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
RobL

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
lager meet's keyboard moment

and not in a racist way
i cant take credit for it someone just texted it me
just thought id get that in before i get branded an evil neo nazi
Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

god there are some thickos on this forum, somehow it always surprises me.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rod spent his winter fuel allowance on 109 race fuel for the dyno session IIRC
Genuinely PMSL

That deserves to go in someones signature.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiggy
Easy,

They will invest more money within our Financial Industry for starters. Probably a hell of a lot more than £10M, helping to protect city jobs.

British Companies will find it easier to get footholds in Pakistan.

For instance, say Oil reserves were found in Pakistan. BP would find it a lot easier than say Elf or Total of France to obtain a licence to extract the oil if France hasn't given aid. Obviously that is a simple example but these type of deals are common where Foreign Aid is involved.

There could also be a some conditions attatched to the aid, for example future arms deals between the 2 countries. Etc Etc

I could go on and on
you obviously haven't been to pakistan mate, far from that pretty picture you paint as there is a HUGE difference between india and pakistan

it's like comparing london to the shetland islands in terms of what they can offer as payback (and don't sa the north sea oil because that don't count)

ok, so i've got about that far in the thread and now there are 80 more posts ot scan through
Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 PM
paul0461
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

why?
fuck em i say.

sick of paying for foreigner's in this country, so why the fuck would i wanna send it to there country?

couldnt agree more.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Genuinely PMSL

That deserves to go in someones signature.
It was in fast ford, there was even a picture of him holding the barrel of it
Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Smiggy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by dojj
you obviously haven't been to pakistan mate, far from that pretty picture you paint as there is a HUGE difference between india and pakistan

it's like comparing london to the shetland islands in terms of what they can offer as payback (and don't sa the north sea oil because that don't count)

ok, so i've got about that far in the thread and now there are 80 more posts ot scan through
What pretty picture have I painted dojj?

And where did I compare India to Pakistan?

I don't think you understand. Or maybe it's more a case of you don't want to.

I'm taking about benefits of giving Foreign Aid to be had by the donating country. Every country can offer something. It can be simple things like pakistan government agreeing to buy JCB's instead of Caterpillars.

It goes a lot further than just handing over a cheque for £10M and letting them get on with it.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Why are some people trying to make out that the £10 million is an insignificant figure. That would keep my local air ambulance flying for the next 7 or 8 years or to put it another way it would fund 10,000 callouts. Not every call out is necessarily to save a life but if just 1 in 10 missions saves a life that's 1,000 lives saved in Warwickshire & Northants alone.
Yes i sympathise with the people of Pakistan but to be honest i would rather my 20p (or more if necessary) to be spent on more important issues at home such as an air ambulance for every part of the British Isles even if it means 1 air ambulance being shared between 2 or 3 counties.

Last edited by STAFFY OWNER; 02-08-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Chip

Staffy owner, it sounds a lot of money if you put it in a local context, but nationally its simply not, there are loads of charities that recieve funding and people close to each one will see that with the same rose tinted specs you are seeing your pet one, but the reality is that I bet NO british charity can save as many lives with 10 million as that will be able to save in pakistan right now where their need for aid is both urgent and critical

Must admit im impressed its only 100 quid a callout though, I would have expected the maintainance and crewing of a helicopter to be more expensive than that.

Last edited by Chip; 02-08-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by STAFFY OWNER
Why are some people trying to make out that the £10 million is an insignificant figure. That would keep my local air ambulance flying for the next 7 or 8 years or to put it another way it would fund 10,000 callouts. Not every call out is necessarily to save a life but if just 1 in 10 missions saves a life that's 1,000 lives saved in Warwickshire & Northants alone.
Yes i sympathise with the people of Pakistan but to be honest i would rather my 20p (or more if necessary) to be spent on more important issues at home such as an air ambulance for every part of the British Isles even if it means 1 air ambulance being shared between 2 or 3 counties.
Dont be daft that make's sense!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmat
id rather go help them myself with a shovel and aid.
what you thinking see how many you can bury?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Staffy owner, it sounds a lot of money if you put it in a local context, but nationally its simply not, there are loads of charities that recieve funding and people close to each one will see that with the same rose tinted specs you are seeing your pet one, but the reality is that I bet NO british charity can save as many lives with 10 million as that will be able to save in pakistan right now where their need for aid is both urgent and critical

Must admit im impressed its only 100 quid a callout though, I would have expected the maintainance and crewing of a helicopter to be more expensive than that.
The point is that it should not have to be charity funded when money is being sent out to other countries. If the money was kept in this country it could be funded by the government (taxpayers) just the same as land ambulances are. Also i'm not trying to portray it in a local context, i'm sure most people throughout the country would happily pay more tax if it funded something so beneficial.
By the way it's £1000 a callout not £100 (£10,000,000 divided by 10,000 callouts = £1000/callout).
Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Escy

Originally Posted by MadRod
My faith is restored. Thanks mate, was beginning to think the average youngster on here were racist, ignorant pigs. THANKS !!!!!.
Alot of the people on here with a frankly disgusting attitude towards fellow human beings aren't just youngsters. I can't believe the attitude of some people. I find it hard to work out if they are ignorant or racist or both, either way, I find it depressing that's how people on here think.

I think these selfish attitudes are by people that have never experienced real poverty and therefore lack compassion.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

By the way it's £1000 a callout not £100 (£10,000,000 divided by 10,000 callouts = £1000/callout).
lol
Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Escy
Alot of the people on here with a frankly disgusting attitude towards fellow human beings aren't just youngsters. I can't believe the attitude of some people. I find it hard to work out if they are ignorant or racist or both, either way, I find it depressing that's how people on here think.

I think these selfish attitudes are by people that have never experienced real poverty and therefore lack compassion.
and by that i take it you read the daily mail
You know nothing about anyone who's posted on this thread appart from there honest views. If you cant handle the fact that us "people who have never experienced real poverty" know what poverty is and have suffered it but along the way the harder we work to get us out of the shithole we lived in the more money is taken off us for such as giving away 10 million to another country, twat
Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Escy

That's where your a complete mug. Poverty in the UK? Get fucking real. I've already mentioned what's available to everyone in the UK, free education, free health care, free housing, free benefit money, etc...

I went over to Brazil, it's a real eye opener. Kids under 10 sleeping in the street, spending the days collecting rubbish to recycle and begging for food. Nobody gives a fuck about them and they have nothing at all.

What's the poverty you suffered and worked your way out of? Not being able to get the Sports Package with Sky? Not being able to get the new Iphone? You poor lamb...

Maybe if your head wasn't so far up your arse you wouldn't be-grudge giving people who are in desperate need some help.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

poverty in the uk does exist. FACT! If your too stupid to realise that, that's your failing.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Escy

I must be too stupid, got any examples? Something on a similar level to Brazilian street kids or a Pakistani family that's just lost their home and belongings, have no food and nowhere to stay, desperate for any assistance.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:32 AM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

why?
Fuck em i say.

Sick of paying for foreigner's in this country, so why the fuck would i wanna send it to there country?
i agree totaly with you why the fk should we pay?is anyone helping britain out of billions of pounds of debt........................i think not!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 AM
stephenbatey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be too stupid, got any examples? Something on a similar level to Brazilian street kids or a Pakistani family that's just lost their home and belongings, have no food and nowhere to stay, desperate for any assistance.
What about the cancer sufferers and other British people with bad illnesses can't get treatment on NHS because of it being "too expensive" even tho they've contributed all their lives by paying taxes, only for the government to send fucking money to other countries FFS!!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiggy
What pretty picture have I painted dojj?

And where did I compare India to Pakistan?

I don't think you understand. Or maybe it's more a case of you don't want to.

I'm taking about benefits of giving Foreign Aid to be had by the donating country. Every country can offer something. It can be simple things like pakistan government agreeing to buy JCB's instead of Caterpillars.

It goes a lot further than just handing over a cheque for £10M and letting them get on with it.
Bottom line is that Pakistan can't really give us any benificial trade other than to take it's imigrants and drugs back. The reason why they get handouts like this is that there is no benfits system to help out so if you don't earn you don't eat and you don't get a house and a car and nice clothes to wear to a job interview and a big telly and get to payabout all dag long doing fuck all while your mug neighbour goes to work and earns less than you after it's been taxed and has to support their family by grafting.

So it's pretty easy to see why the British tax payer is slightly miffed that their money is being sent to Pakistan while the actual donated money is being begged for by the people who fly out to you in a helicopter in order to save your life should something happen to you.

If you want to help then that's fine, but this is enforced help which means you don't have a choice. Fine if you want to win the noble prize and all that but you've still got to ask yourself why it's going to save pennies to save lives in Pakistan when, at the same time, the other end of Pakistan is where Our Boys are trying to not get killed and dont have enough money because of budget restraints.

If it were up to me I would send over aid if possible in the shape of food and tents and volenteers, but not actual cash money for the army to secretly pocket.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

People have an opinion mate , it may be not what you want to hear and not an opinion you share but to call people Racist for having an opinion just shows that you are the ignorant one here

I feel for these people and hope that these people get what they need , BUT , if there own country let these people live in poverty in the first place isnt it there country that we should be discusted at

we see poverty all over the world and yet they breed like rabbits and yet they cant feed thenself or even have clean water , they live in streets or wooden shelters etc , yet they still manage to carry on bringing more and more children into that awfull situation

Natural disasters happen all over the world to poor and wealthy parts yet it always seems to be us who are the first to show off by offering money to help , WHO WOULD HELP US , if the worst should happen

as said before on here we suffered massive floods and yes we didnt lose life but people still lost everything they own and now live in houses in flood areas that arnt worth shit and can get insurance against it , WHAT ARE OUR COVERNMENT DOING ABOUT THIS ? Fuck all other than telling everyone to go green , lol , like that is going to help

When people are losing there jobs left right and center you cant expect them not to be mad when they see our money being handed out
Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

As much as its a shame what happened i dont think its our place to help them because of the state of our on country! Its just us working tax payers that get hit with the bill makes me sick what i pay in taxes just now & its going up in january! But as usual this country are too soft they let anycunt in & pay for them now were paying for them over there! Its no wonder why brittish people are getting racist the way this goverment is helping asaylum seekers etc of course the brittish people feel hard done by.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Of course it's not the same and i'm not saying it is, but if there own country dont give a flying fuck about them what use do you think sending money to them will do?
Zero fucking use at all it wont filter down to them, i cant believe some people dont realise that. Quite worrying really.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Chip

poverty in the uk does exist. FACT! If your too stupid to realise that, that's your failing.
While there may be people in the uk who fall within the official definition of poverty, there is no one here who is in poverty the way that they are in other countries, just things like free access to healthcare for example sets even people who live on the streets in this country WAY above people in poverty elsewhere in the world, and ultimately anyone in this country who is homeless is actually entitled to help, ok it doesnt always get to them easily, but it is available.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Chip

Of course it's not the same and i'm not saying it is, but if there own country dont give a flying fuck about them what use do you think sending money to them will do?
Zero fucking use at all it wont filter down to them, i cant believe some people dont realise that. Quite worrying really.
Their own country is already trying to help them but is massively overstretched on resources.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Chip

lol, I meant im surprised it only costs a grand, but well spotted on the typo

for me then
Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Seems to be a North / South divide on the issue.
Funny, I noticed that too.....

Wonder why that is?!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Their own country is already trying to help them but is massively overstretched on resources.
but why are they chip? Barring africa, other country's have quite a lot of money, why do they choose not to?
And as paul said they're popping kids out left right and centre. So i'd say it's partly self inflicted imo.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Chip

but why are they chip? Barring africa, other country's have quite a lot of money, why do they choose not to?
And as paul said they're popping kids out left right and centre. So i'd say it's partly self inflicted imo.
This thread is about pakistan being given help to cope with a natural disaster not about africa.

Contraception is one of the things that british charities give to africa though while we're on the subject!

Last edited by Chip; 03-08-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This thread is about pakistan being given help to cope with a natural disaster not about africa.
i didnt say it was, ok another way. How can the pakistan goverment get there house in order?
10 million is fuck all and a drop in the ocean to what will be needed (no pun ment) to sort it out. But what have the pakistan goverment got that would bridge they monetary gap? They are a fairly wealthy country if we're honest, but i suspect this will be the start of paying out more
Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Contraception is one of the things that british charities give to africa though while we're on the subject!
not really worked though has it, another waste of british tax payer's money?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Chip

not really worked though has it
As far as im aware yes it has worked to an extent, but such charities are massively under resourced and are working against 1000s of years of attitude that a big family is better, its not the sort of thing that will happen overnight or cheaply, it needs more resource and 100s of years before it stands any real chance.
This is the real world and real people, change takes time.

another waste of british tax payer's money?
Better than spending it on widescreen tv's for furnishing the north of englands council estates with because people think poverty is only having a 36 inch screen not a 50 inch
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM
KregRS

Turn the situation round, would they send aid to us if we needed it? Highly unlikely really, f*ck 'em, charity begins at home, not abroad!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by KregRS
Turn the situation round, would they send aid to us if we needed it? Highly unlikely really, f*ck 'em, charity begins at home, not abroad!
Yes, you are right on that one, I also doubt the 4 year old children who are dieing in the streets through lack of basic medicine would send me any money if I crashed my car, so fuck them, let the little cunts die in agony.

Quick Reply: The british government are giving pakistan £10million to help with the floods