General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Data Protection Act Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Protection Act Question

silly place to ask i know but hey...

under the data protection act am i entitled to request information only about myself personally, or can you request information people have about your property?

ie can i request records people have on my car

reason is im making a complaint about the recovery firm that delvered my car with a fucked engine and theyre not giving me any information I want, theyre simply asking to see the service histry of the car before they respond to my request (presumably to see if theres a gap and then use that to say i breached the Ts&Cs of the policy by not maintaining the car well enough and voiding the whole thing to avoid liability).

The history of the car is actually good, its just its about 50 miles away from me at the moment and i dont want to waste my time going to get it and in the meantime theyre stalling replying to me.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Data protection act only refers to personal data, I dont believe it would cover that.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

balls.

still the woman in customer services might not know that, if she gives me jip i'll still try

if that dont work i'll just move onto phase 2 of their complains procedure, write to their CEO...

google has thankfully told me his name and email address, oh and the fact he's being replaced in september due to record losses
Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Write to the ico to clarify what you need to do as it's differnt if you handle the data and if you want to make a request for access to data depending on what it's for and if it's supposed to be generally available. In this cSe they want proof on paper which they won't be able to access online other than the mot history which can only be gained after you've given them your logboook number but may be gained if they pay the dvla a few quid.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ANY information covered by the data protection act is avaialble to anyone who has "just cause", ie a genuine reason, ask to speak to the data controller, law requires them to have one person responsible for this handling of such info, they are allowed to charge a "reasonable fee".
Same as if you pop into tesco/garage/police station etc and know that you are on cctv, you have a right to see the video recording with you on it, no fee can be charged, anyone that records you has to let you see the tape/recording when asked.
tabetha
Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

AFAIK a charge of up to Ł10 can be charged for admin if you request such data as Tabetha has described
Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
ANY information covered by the data protection act is avaialble to anyone who has "just cause", ie a genuine reason, ask to speak to the data controller, law requires them to have one person responsible for this handling of such info, they are allowed to charge a "reasonable fee".
Same as if you pop into tesco/garage/police station etc and know that you are on cctv, you have a right to see the video recording with you on it, no fee can be charged, anyone that records you has to let you see the tape/recording when asked.
tabetha
Well of COURSE any information covered by the DPA is covered, what he is asking though is wether or not information about his car is such data in the first place.

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
dojj

it's "personal" info relating to the person who's asking for it, cctv comes under a different category, same as the person who's in charge of keeping the records safe is in a different category, same as the person who's going to get the crb paperwork when you apply for a job

what it doesn't relate to is the car service history, which is kept with the car and the garage that's done the servicing work to it

after i claimed on my insurance for my cossie they said that they were going to send the cheque out
the sent it out
i cashed it
they then asked for the service history seeing as the car had only covered 54,000 miles in 5 years before i bent it
i said it didn't have one
they said they would not have offered me as much money had they known
but i didn't have to pay any money back
they only had my word for it

in jims case HE has the paperwork THEY need to confuse the matter, but trying ot make it official won't work
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

no dojj in this case i want the records of the recovery from them (ie receipts, reports etc.)

i'm just getting arsey as theyre delaying about me not sending them the service history, which im only delaying on as i dont have it with me, not because im trying to hide anything.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like they know they are fucked Jimbo, but are trying to find any little thing to get out of it.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
no dojj in this case i want the records of the recovery from them (ie receipts, reports etc.)

i'm just getting arsey as theyre delaying about me not sending them the service history, which im only delaying on as i dont have it with me, not because im trying to hide anything.
so is someone prepared to pay out at the end of the day?

if this is the case, then write to them, daily if need be, and explain that you are still awaiting a reply from the other party and that as soon as you get the information you'll pass it over

they may just get irritated enough to not want it
Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

dojj,

i'll wait until i actually have sent them the service history before i start getting really arsey/annoying