General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Airbag light out what did the dealer do

Search this Thread

Old 27-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Chris Honeywell
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light out what did the dealer do

OK my wife bought a 54 plate 1.8 Mondeo couple of weeks back from a local dealer.

When she got it home i saw that the airbag light was flashing and then staying on, they tried to re-set the light but failed to turn it off so they said they would book it into the local Ford dealer.
Got the car back today i went and collected it ( i do not trust them)
anyway i got in the car turned it on and the air-bag light does not come on at all, went straight back in and they said they will look at it again.

Now i thought that they had probably took out the air-bag light bulb dodgy tossers but have just got home took out the dash and from what it looks like all the bulbs are there (indicators etc).
Is the airbag light more integrated to the rear of the cluster?? as i could not access that bit with out a complete take apart of it.

Or is there something else you can do on these cars to keep the bulb from lighting at all? Fuses seem ok but i do not know what else to check.

In any event the light on all the time OR not lighting on start up is a fault so they got to sort it i just don't want them catching me out with some stupid clever answer
Old 27-07-2010, 05:30 PM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Could be some sort of resistor, but if they were doing that you would think they would actually put one it that lets the light come on. Or just wired the bulb up to the oil pressure light.
Probably just cut the wire somewhere along the line.

IIRC it's not part of the MOT so it wouldn't fail one, but as you said, it's not right.
Old 27-07-2010, 06:27 PM
white2lsr
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with a local dealer we bought a E46 BMW off. I had already had the car back a few times over the air bag light and they fobbed me off. They told me they were going to take it to the local BMW main dealer so I just went up and asked the service manager if it was true. Turned out to be a lie.

I wrote them a letter staing a date that I would require the problem to be rectified and if not I would issue legal precedings. It was fixed at BMW within days.
Old 27-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Chris Honeywell

Originally Posted by DaveZS
Could be some sort of resistor, but if they were doing that you would think they would actually put one it that lets the light come on. Or just wired the bulb up to the oil pressure light.
Probably just cut the wire somewhere along the line.

IIRC it's not part of the MOT so it wouldn't fail one, but as you said, it's not right.
Cut a wire
sounds about right

I ain't that worried tbh but the fact is we notified them of the fault within 1 hour of having the car!!
Going to make sure they fix it thats for sure!

Last edited by Chris Honeywell; 27-07-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 27-07-2010, 08:17 PM
silver
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is a mondeo, you can do a test of your dashboard inc gauge sweep and test all dash lights at start up. If you do the test and it doesnt light up then they must have removed the bulb or disabled it somehow.
Old 27-07-2010, 08:37 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if it's a facelift car then the flashing light normally means it's the pretensioners at fault

click the meg link in my sig to find out everything you'll ever need to know about mondeo's
Old 27-07-2010, 08:41 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'll check with my mate tommorrow but it's very easy to do by all accounts,probably done by removing a track on the pcb on the back of the clocks,bit stupid really as it's probably something silly like a bad connector on the seatbelt pre tensioner.
Old 27-07-2010, 09:34 PM
gazm
PassionFord Regular

as said - if you can do a warning light /dash test - and see if it lights up.. if not they haveremoved the micro buld in the dash cluster... if it does light up.. it may be your belt pre tensioners.... try separating the electrical plug connector under the seat and re connecting it... with ignition off then on, one or the other may do it,
Old 27-07-2010, 09:51 PM
D16PJM

i have seen a couple of cars with blue tack in the bulb hole as most are on led now so hard to remove.

Pete
Old 28-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Chris Honeywell

Originally Posted by gazm
as said - if you can do a warning light /dash test - and see if it lights up.. if not they haveremoved the micro buld in the dash cluster... if it does light up.. it may be your belt pre tensioners.... try separating the electrical plug connector under the seat and re connecting it... with ignition off then on, one or the other may do it,
Done that m8 it don't light up gonna see what they say later today
Old 28-07-2010, 10:06 AM
cjwood555

Have you checked they've not done something as simple as remove the airbag module fuse? The airbag controller is totally independent to the ECU/GEM and controls the dash led directly over K-bus (a variation on standard can/scp - main difference being reversed polarity).