General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

new sky box, 1tb :)

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2010, 05:57 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default new sky box, 1tb :)

ok, it's arrived this afternoon and i'm going to spend some time not hooking it up as i've got to move the other box to the other room

but other than a bigger space to store stuff on, and a different button layout on the front of the box, there are supposed to be some other changes as well, i've already looked into the hooking up of the internet cable as that's free for downloading stuff to the box, but are there any other new inventions that i need to be aware of before i get asked by the mrs why she can't find her programs on the new box

don't laugh, my dad asked where his recording had gone when we moved the boxes in the other house on monday, even though the sky engineer had been there for 3 hours fiddling with stuff
Old 20-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Give us a report Dojj (like you do with the films) as i'm still thinking of getting one
Old 22-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Dojj????????????
Old 22-07-2010, 09:17 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

right then, got it sorted, eventually

if you go for the self install you have to make sure that you follow the directions in the book as this has a few more options on it than i can recall the original hd box having

plus the leads are in different places in the back of the box

the best bit though is the size of the hard drive, i've already recorded 4 films on it and it's showing as 100% empty

and the channel changing thing is quicker as well as the scrolling through the channels with the direction buttons, they absolutly fly

the not so good news then

you need to use the already authorised HD card to put into the box, otherwise you don't get the hd channels other than the free ones, this took 3 angry phone calls and the threat to get my money back and for them to collect their box if they dind't like my terms

a nice lady on the phone spoke to her manager and sorted things out and while i was on the phone the hd channels popped up and started working so if you want hd you need to pay £10 per box

and the anytime line up will take around 7 days to fully update, maybe quicker if you don't set the auto standby function

there are loads of little fiddly settings you need to sort out though as the box comes with the defaults being no pin number for stuff, 30 minute lead time for rewinds, 0 ms optical delay, etc etc so i spent about 2 hours fiddling with them all before thigns got back to what i was used to

all in all though, it's a worthwhile upgrade for the £100 i paid for it, perhaps not if i were going to fork out the full price of £249 plus the £30 postage they sneak on top of that