General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

RM apprenticeship experience tomorrow!!

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RM apprenticeship experience tomorrow!!

Hey, do any fellow Passionford users have any advice for me.. I have my interview/work experience with the fleet maintenence service for the Royal Mail and I'm determined to do my best.. Last minute nerves are kicking in.. Any tips?! Thanks!!
Old 20-06-2010, 09:58 PM
erjones
PassionFord Regular

Just relax and be yourself but make sure you show an interest
Old 20-06-2010, 09:59 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i'm sure Glenny Boy off here works for royal mail maintaining their fleet of vehicles?

maybe send him a PM?
Old 20-06-2010, 10:08 PM
paul16v
Monte 087

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
i'm sure Glenny Boy off here works for royal mail maintaining their fleet of vehicles?

maybe send him a PM?
Aye he does, enjoys it aswell I think

Best of luck tomorrow mate
Old 20-06-2010, 10:10 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Biggest tip would be show that you are happy to listen, look and learn. DON'T act as if you have something to prove.

It can be hard if you are young/new as you quite often DO have to prove yourself - the trick is not to show off, be heavy handed or over-impulsive - just do what you're asked, and ask questions even if you know the answer (only intelligent ones, not 'what's this for' whists holding a spanner.....!

Chris
Old 20-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Thankyou everyone, I've took it all on board. It is hard being only 16 and trying to prove to everybody your not another muckaround! I genuinely DO want this! And I will pm Glenny thanks.
Old 20-06-2010, 11:08 PM
boy-racer-1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i used to work for royal mail, none of the drivers give a fuck about the vans there so will be alot to fix id imagine, i managed to break 4 vans in my time being at royal mail, and ive worked in 6 diff sorting offices for royal mail and the whole time being at each one i realised not a single person gives a fuck what you do, and its a good laugh, so id say you wont have anything to worry about atall, you will prob realise 1st day no 1 really gives a fuck there, hope this calms your nerves, im not just saying that to calm your nerves, no 1 gives a fuck atall at royal mail lol

Trending Topics

Old 20-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Nath92
Virgin

Originally Posted by Cosworthfanboy
Thankyou everyone, I've took it all on board. It is hard being only 16 and trying to prove to everybody your not another muckaround! I genuinely DO want this! And I will pm Glenny thanks.
Be Confident. Im 17, and this time last year i was doing interviews for Royal Mail Vehicle Services Apprenticeship at The Preston Workshop due to my dad being foreman in the workshop. sadly tho i passed my first interviews and was next to do workshop experience....a week after the tests i got an email saying the are withdrawing alll apprentices that applied due to a financial decline, so basically they cudnt afford it which i was really gutted about.
but yes just be yourself, relax and let them know that your keen and entusiastic and youll be fine pal
Old 20-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Haha the dirtier my hands the better! The hard work aspect wont be a problem. Thankyou for the insight, I shall still be on my best behaviour though! cheers,
Jordan
Old 20-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Originally Posted by Nath92
Be Confident. Im 17, and this time last year i was doing interviews for Royal Mail Vehicle Services Apprenticeship at The Preston Workshop due to my dad being foreman in the workshop. sadly tho i passed my first interviews and was next to do workshop experience....a week after the tests i got an email saying the are withdrawing alll apprentices that applied due to a financial decline, so basically they cudnt afford it which i was really gutted about.
but yes just be yourself, relax and let them know that your keen and entusiastic and youll be fine pal
oh you was very unlucky! Im really hoping it works out.. But every other applicant wants the same thing as me, so It will be tough! Thankyou mate!
Old 21-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

What a day guys! Everything was true.. Every gearbox had been destroyed :P and its so laid back that they left me waiting for an hour! I also found out im the only apprentice candidate.. So most probably got it.. But....there are doubts as to whether the depot will be staying open or closing.. "/ x
Old 21-06-2010, 04:35 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

my advice is take a pen ( for filling forms in etc, nothing worse than having to ask to borrow a pen ) and dress as smart as possible and just act as if you are keen to learn and listen etc
Old 21-06-2010, 04:38 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

What a day guys! Everything was true.. Every gearbox had been destroyed :P and its so laid back that they left me waiting for an hour! I also found out im the only apprentice candidate.. So most probably got it.. But....there are doubts as to whether the depot will be staying open or closing.. "/ x
you jsut posted that as soon as i posted lol.
well thats good, just hope it stays open, im finding it fucking inpossible to find a aprentaship after giveing one up
Old 21-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Originally Posted by speedy-tom
you jsut posted that as soon as i posted lol.
well thats good, just hope it stays open, im finding it fucking inpossible to find a aprentaship after giveing one up
haha, yeah same here!! and try typing in 'apprenticeships' on google if you already havnt its how I found mine

And dont worry I remembered my pen pal, I find it shameful asking to borrow a pen
Old 21-06-2010, 04:50 PM
W17GLE

i did an apprentice scheme for royal mail and it was a good experience. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 21-06-2010, 04:52 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

haha, yeah same here!! and try typing in 'apprenticeships' on google if you already havnt its how I found mine

And dont worry I remembered my pen pal, I find it shameful asking to borrow a pen
iv done all that shit mate, im with agencys etc and every thing lol. Did have a aprentaship but it was proper proper shite so i left that lol. now on the look out for another
Old 21-06-2010, 04:56 PM
retro d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Work for RM as a tech, show loads of interest and be keen and mechanically minded, they may want you to do a test but dont worry its nothing to involved.
Its a great job for an apprenticeship if you can get it m8.
Old 21-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Originally Posted by speedy-tom
iv done all that shit mate, im with agencys etc and every thing lol. Did have a aprentaship but it was proper proper shite so i left that lol. now on the look out for another
Damn wish you all the best! its tough out there but good luck!!
Old 21-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Originally Posted by W17GLE
i did an apprentice scheme for royal mail and it was a good experience. Hope all goes well for you.
thanks pal. Did you do mechanic one?
Old 21-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Originally Posted by retro d
I Work for RM as a tech, show loads of interest and be keen and mechanically minded, they may want you to do a test but dont worry its nothing to involved.
Its a great job for an apprenticeship if you can get it m8.
Thanks pal, I did remain mechanically minded all the time.. Wasnt correct with all of my answers but I suppose I am learning and I did take in alot! It seems brill.. Hopefully if I get it I will have my first ford
Old 21-06-2010, 05:07 PM
retro d

Nice one, do they want you to do a week in the w/shop to see how hands on you are etc. ???
Old 21-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Nice one, do they want you to do a week in the w/shop to see how hands on you are etc. ???
yeah, 3 days.. this was the first day.. Apparently only 2 boys have turned up so I have 1 in 2 chance.. And Ive booked the last 3 days so I dont think theres anyone after me!
Old 21-06-2010, 05:20 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

Damn wish you all the best! its tough out there but good luck!!
cheers lol
Old 21-06-2010, 05:30 PM
retro d

yeah, 3 days.. this was the first day.. Apparently only 2 boys have turned up so I have 1 in 2 chance.. And Ive booked the last 3 days so I dont think theres anyone after me!
Sounds like you got a good chance, I dont know why they dont turn up if they have a chance lol, ohh well should work in your favour.
Well if you get on with the guys in the w/shop and show interest when they give you a task or little job, this is a good thing as they like to see team work, plus after you finish your three days the manager will ask the other tech's ( who you've been working with) how you got on and get them to wright abit about you and what skills etc you have.
Hope this helps lol.
Old 21-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Sounds like you got a good chance, I dont know why they dont turn up if they have a chance lol, ohh well should work in your favour.
Well if you get on with the guys in the w/shop and show interest when they give you a task or little job, this is a good thing as they like to see team work, plus after you finish your three days the manager will ask the other tech's ( who you've been working with) how you got on and get them to wright abit about you and what skills etc you have.
Hope this helps lol.
Ohh right thanks I know that now for tomorrow! Its as if you guys teach me something new every hour! Haha, well I helped a tech rebuild a maxis gearbox today Fingers crossed and thanks for the info!
Old 27-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Nath92
Virgin

oh you was very unlucky! Im really hoping it works out.. But every other applicant wants the same thing as me, so It will be tough! Thankyou mate!
No Worries mate, its hard to know whether they will be closing the depot because with there finances any depot can go at any time so its realy hard. but well done i really hope you get it buddy!
Old 27-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Good luck!
Old 28-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Yhe i fooking love my job its mint.The things you see is unreal.We had a combo van in last week cause the driver had hit a big pot hole and snapped the o/s/f bottom ball joint and the driver kept on going till the tread came off the tyre and the drive shaft come out and damaged the wing.

The was another combo in last week(i was on holiday)and it came in as a non start.The crank had snapped on no4 piston.

There was also another combo in last week.The driver hit a sheep and kept going.The sheep had damaged the radiator and the driver kept on going till the van stopped.The engine had overheated and no 1 and 2 cylinder bores are badly scored.

Or there good.
Old 28-06-2010, 09:39 PM
retro d

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Yhe i fooking love my job its mint.The things you see is unreal.We had a combo van in last week cause the driver had hit a big pot hole and snapped the o/s/f bottom ball joint and the driver kept on going till the tread came off the tyre and the drive shaft come out and damaged the wing.

The was another combo in last week(i was on holiday)and it came in as a non start.The crank had snapped on no4 piston.

There was also another combo in last week.The driver hit a sheep and kept going.The sheep had damaged the radiator and the driver kept on going till the van stopped.The engine had overheated and no 1 and 2 cylinder bores are badly scored.

Or there good.
Lol all in a good days work mate. I know the sort of thing your on about see it all the time. HAHA
Old 29-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

yeh its bloody amazing. Half the things that happen to the vans wouldnt happen in an normal garage.
Old 29-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Fingers crossed
Old 29-06-2010, 01:50 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

u looking to work on the small stuff or the big stuff if its big just tell them u love dafs lol
Old 30-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Cosworthfanboy
PF's random poster!

Originally Posted by ajamesc
u looking to work on the small stuff or the big stuff if its big just tell them u love dafs lol

Its only up to 7.5 tonnes
Old 30-06-2010, 04:24 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Its only up to 7.5 tonnes
Ha ha gutted the big stuff is much better! and they do do it as the royal mail are up at thame ( daf uk ) every now and then on courses
Old 30-06-2010, 04:31 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

put your glasses on the right way up, i wouldn't employ anyone that couldn't figure out a pair of glasses
Old 30-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Ha ha gutted the big stuff is much better! and they do do it as the royal mail are up at thame ( daf uk ) every now and then on courses
Ive been to Thame for a 4 day course on Daf electrics.I hate working onthe trucks and ihate electrics lol.All in all it was a bloody boring course.Where abouts did you stay.Was it in that little BnB just outside Thame.Im sure the owner is called Dave.
Old 30-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Fingers crossed
Any look?
Old 30-06-2010, 06:36 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Ive been to Thame for a 4 day course on Daf electrics.I hate working onthe trucks and ihate electrics lol.All in all it was a bloody boring course.Where abouts did you stay.Was it in that little BnB just outside Thame.Im sure the owner is called Dave.
I drive there and back mate as im only about 2 hours away. U should count yourself lucky ive been there 14 times lol and electrics is an easy time waste and u dont get that dirty!
Old 30-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Lucky you lol.14 times fook that i would be well sick.Have you done the manual handling course yet.
Old 30-06-2010, 07:19 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Lucky you lol.14 times fook that i would be well sick.Have you done the manual handling course yet.
Manual handling lol na never herd of that one mate ive done basic air brakes / basic electrics /davie xd / be ce engines / lf and cf electrics and air bags / upec / xf 105 intro / ecsdc4 / mx engine / ebs vsc /ecas / as tronic / dmci and eas / as tronic light / brake diagnsis / service rapido / night heaters / ecsdc3 / zf transmissions / and saber wireing diagrams lol so 20 times as it gos

Last edited by ajamesc; 30-06-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: RM apprenticeship experience tomorrow!!