General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Call to do away with tax discs (just the bit of paper, not the tax!!)

Search this Thread

Old 17-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Call to do away with tax discs (just the bit of paper, not the tax!!)

Got this from Fleet News:

The BVRLA has advised Chancellor George Osborne to abolish the tax disc and allow the purchase of multi-year Vehicle Excise Duty.
The suggestions came in the association’s submission ahead of the emergency Budget on 22 June.
More than 34 million tax discs are produced, printed and distributed annually and the BVRLA believes that eliminating them could save the government over £90 million each year.
The use of automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras and continuous registration laws mean there is no longer a need for tax discs to be displayed on windscreens.
With first-year vehicle excise duty rates rising significantly for high-emission vehicles, to £950 for some cars, Treasury officials have previously expressed concerns that high-value discs could increasingly be targeted by thieves.
“Not having to display a tax disc would bring us into the 21st Century and reduce the burden on fleet owners, who would no longer have to distribute them to drivers or retrieve them when they were seeking to obtain a refund,” said BVRLA chief executive, John Lewis.
“It would help the government make instant progress in its plans to cut government waste and the money could be invested in modernising some of the DVLA’s antiquated systems and working practices.”
Old 17-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good in theory, in practice I can imagine all the chavvy cunts just wont bother buying any tax as unless you're driving up and down the motorways or around the city centre you hardly come across any police cars or vans with the ANPR system on them making it harder for the normal squad cars to catch them out.
Old 17-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

We will have a massive linked ANPR fixed network before long anyway if the government get thier way That will be part of their justification for it.
Old 17-06-2010, 11:56 AM
silky16v
Get on That!

put road tax on fuel end of

then no one can escape paying it
Old 17-06-2010, 11:56 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've said for a long time they should get rid of this, and the whole administrative network through the post office too as ANPR will pick up whether you have it or not, an your mot and insurance is checked online when you buy.

2 problems:

1) it assumes everyone has internet access, unless they have a phone option too.

2) the system is an utter crock of shite at the moment and is about 3 days behind, so I personally dont drive without the disk in the screen even if Ive paid as ive on two occasions had to politely explain to one of our fluorescent Hitlers that the computers aren't infallible.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:00 PM
RSLUBBY
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by silky16v

Here here fairest way i have 3 cars one does 30k a year the other 3k a year and the other 1k and have to pay the most on the one i use the least. Before anyone says sell it. Its a cosworth and use it for shows and track a must have.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:02 PM
alistairolsen

same situation, Id be happy to see it on fuel, preferrably with a reduced rate for proven commercial use. How youd police that to avoid "company cars" I dont know.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:09 PM
the mk1 kid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by silky16v

I really liked that idea until i thought of petrol mower/strimmers/track only cars etc etc....

Seeing as we can all only drive one car at a time, why not have it on your license? Ok, so those without a car must 'SORN' themselves for a year, or perhaps just 6 month - whatever... That way those with more than one car dont get bent over either!

Tom
Old 17-06-2010, 12:22 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

if you get pulled by the police, most will radio in and check you have tax anyway in case the disk in your window is fake.

or if they are following a car and dont like the look of it, they will radio in and check.

the tax disks arent really needed now, most people wont dare drive with no tax due to all the ANPR vans (apart from a select few who are either wankers, or have had their heads buried in the sand for the last 10 years)

i reckon with the admin cost of producing and administering tax disks, if they took them out they could reduce the cost of the road tax by £20 - 30 per car.

other countries dont have them, but knowing our government they will keep them so they can make a bit more profit.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
We will have a massive linked ANPR fixed network before long anyway if the government get thier way That will be part of their justification for it.
But surely this will be at a HUGE initial cost, when we shoudl be saving money until the countries debt is cleared. The government signed their last repayment cheque for money borrowed during the world war only a couple of years ago, these things take time to pay back
Old 17-06-2010, 12:57 PM
alistairolsen

if they added 10p a litre to all petrol (about the tax required based on current tax and average mileage) then Id be better off paying that for my track car, strimmer, lawnmower and boat than the multiples of 190 quid I shell out just now! Thats 1900l of fuel to break even lmao

yes they radio in, to get a colleague to check a computer system which runs with a three day delay. Seriously, try taxing your car in a post office on a friday lunchtime and getting pulled the following tuesday! What pissed me off most is the assumption theyre perfect "youve got no tax" "well Im sorry office but...."

Either make it perfect, or accept its not!

Last edited by alistairolsen; 17-06-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 17-06-2010, 03:02 PM
turbochild

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tax is for carpets lol

in all seriousness though they'll never drop the tax disk as they will say more uninsured cars will be on the road
Old 17-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Our road tax got abolished 3 years ago they put 15p a litre on fuel, seems to have work ok, fuel is 95p a litre atm
Old 17-06-2010, 04:39 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Most people seem to have missed the point of the article.

It's NOT to scrap the Road fund Licence fee, just the paper disc and having to display it.
They'll just issue a receipt for the cash.

Chavs etc will still have to spend the money and the DVLA vans will still patrol.

Old 17-06-2010, 04:48 PM
D16PJM

i think they should keep the disc myself, it may save 90 million but will also cost other companies such as the post office millions in lost revenue and cost jobs, if they wanted to save money they should have not bothered arse licking america and brought all our troops back but its a bit late for that now.

also a tax disc is a good indication when you have a accident that the person is legal or at least half way there.

Pete
Old 17-06-2010, 05:45 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by D16PJM
i think they should keep the disc myself, it may save 90 million but will also cost other companies such as the post office millions in lost revenue and cost jobs,
The people that pay at the P.O now will still pay at the P.O if this idea goes ahead, they just won't get a coloured disc they'll only get a plain paper receipt printed at the counter.

Fleets owners want to be able to pay for up to 3 years in advance and not have to worry about getting discs to every driver every year.

I've known people have to stop at home for a couple of days because discs have been lost in the post, sent to the wrong driver or not sent at all.

Old 17-06-2010, 05:49 PM
D16PJM

Originally Posted by focusv8
The people that pay at the P.O now will still pay at the P.O if this idea goes ahead, they just won't get a coloured disc they'll only get a plain paper receipt printed at the counter.

Fleets owners want to be able to pay for up to 3 years in advance and not have to worry about getting discs to every driver every year.

I've known people have to stop at home for a couple of days because discs have been lost in the post, sent to the wrong driver or not sent at all.

what i was trying to say is most people now tax online and it is sent to you, no disc, no post as no doubt you will get a receipt via email so 3Dr Pete could be out of a job .
Old 17-06-2010, 05:52 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the previous 12 months since the car was taxed they hadn't updated the DVLA computer, got pissed off with being stopped, they hadn't updated it before after 1 year it was taxed again at a post office, the 1st time was at a DVLA local vehicle licensing office in norwich, so not like they didn't know!!
It's a pity it has to be run by dvla.
tabetha
Old 17-06-2010, 05:56 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

bet its all leading to pay as you drive, tracking devices in cars etc etc...