General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

bit of advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 15-06-2010, 07:19 PM
syko2005
burning oil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy bit of advice needed

Tonight ive picked up my 04 focus tdci sport. I testdrove it last week and all seemed well. However driving home in it tonight the clutch is slipping.
Now ive bought the car from knights bmw and intend on ringing them first thing in the morning as im not happy.
What are my rights? Do knights have to replace the clutch or will they try and get out of it. It wasnt slipping on the testdrive although it is doing now after 30 mins of ownership.
Ive got 3 months aa warranty but dont think that covers clutch wear.
Feel gutted at the mo
Old 15-06-2010, 07:34 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

should be covered i would think, just dont drive it anymore as 30 miles and 24hours is not exactly acceptable.
Old 15-06-2010, 07:42 PM
syko2005
burning oil

Originally Posted by matts1
should be covered i would think, just dont drive it anymore as 30 miles and 24hours is not exactly acceptable.
Ive not done 30 mile. Ive driven home 10 miles away.
Old 15-06-2010, 07:43 PM
tomS2-Rst
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty sure AA wont cover it make as its classed as a wear park. I work in a volvo dealership and sorry to say that most of the waranty's suplied by these compainies aint worth paper printed on.

However ring the company you bought it from an tell them you aint happy and tell them you will back the car if it not sorted. I would of thought that the will sort it as otherwise they will have to take car back and you are def within your rights to do this.

Good luck
Old 15-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be amazed if they didnt have that in and do the clutch for you FOC.
Old 15-06-2010, 07:45 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Make sure they stick a new dual mass flywheel in while they're at it, common weak point on the tdci's.
Old 15-06-2010, 07:54 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Think/ hope you'll be ok fella,although generally clutch is not covered under warranty due to it being a "serviceable" item,even though most go for up to and beyond 100k these days.dual mass is a really common fault on focii and a lot of modern cars so even if it costs YOU a few quid,get it done.gutted it's happenned to you but it could happen at anytime if say the apprentice has been moving the car in and out,fucked it up and nit said.threaten them with going to the press as your uncle is deputy editor of the local paper etc,all bullshit maybe but it usually gets results if their being wanky!!

Trending Topics

Old 15-06-2010, 08:02 PM
syko2005
burning oil

If id had the car a week or two i would think there would be a problem but it will have been under 24 hours when i ring tommorow. Il threaten them trading standards if they refuse to sort it out. I should of picked the car up last week but they have messed me about sorting the mot out on it and now this.
Im pissed beyond belief.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:19 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

sorry mate, thought you put 30 miles not minutes. Did you test drive it again since last week?

I wouldn't be dealing with the warranty side, I would speak to the garage and get them to have it back in to be sorted. 30 minutes and 10 miles is a joke and can't see them having a leg to stand on.

Keep your cool but be firm, dont take no for an answer.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:27 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

At a quick guess,I'd say they know there's a problem with it and took a gamble that it wouldn't rear it's head for a month or two when it may have been too late.a lot of garages are running tight budgets at the mo so if they can save a but they will.I know a paintshop who work on the basis that 90% of the people who get work done by them will never complain making only 10% collatteral damage.I think you'll be fine,it's hard as fuck to sell cars at the minute so a bad rep isn't what they need,and if they fix you'll be happy and tell people you are so they'll sell even more cars for a small enough outlay,full clutch kit shouldn't be more than Ł80 at the factors.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:29 PM
syko2005
burning oil

Originally Posted by matts1
sorry mate, thought you put 30 miles not minutes. Did you test drive it again since last week?

I wouldn't be dealing with the warranty side, I would speak to the garage and get them to have it back in to be sorted. 30 minutes and 10 miles is a joke and can't see them having a leg to stand on.

Keep your cool but be firm, dont take no for an answer.
Its ok mate and its the first time ive been in the car since the test drive.
Been doing some reading up and they have got to sort it out. The autotrader website says.

If you buy a vehicle from a dealer, you’re covered by the Sale of Goods Act 1979. This means it must be:

• Of satisfactory quality, bearing in mind its age, what it cost and how it was described to you. It should be free from serious defects, other than those you were made aware of
• As described. If the dealer says it's a 2-litre, and it's actually a 1.6-litre, you can reject the car and seek a refund or replacement
• Fit for any reasonable purpose. The car should do all that you reasonably expect of it, including any specifics you state to the dealer. If you need a car for towing and the dealer says a 1-litre supermini will be fine, you can reject the car if it struggles

However, if you pay for the car to be inspected, the dealer is not responsible for any faults the inspection should have found and you should always get a statement on the car's condition from the dealer.

If your car is faulty, you have six months from the date of purchase in which you can reject it. You can demand repair or a replacement, unless it would cause 'disproportionate' or 'significant inconvenience' to the seller.

Examples of this would be if a repair would be as effective as a replacement, or if a price reduction would be more appropriate for minor defects.

Dealers must now prove the vehicle was of satisfactory quality when it was sold. This means you no longer need to seek an independent car inspection.

However, if you believe your car is faulty, you must stop using the car immediately, and contact the dealer directly. You need to follow this up in writing, providing evidence of the problems.

If you've bought the vehicle from a franchised car dealer, you can speak to the manufacturer direct. They don't want to get a bad name because a dealer hasn't provided the expected level of service.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:56 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dealers must now prove the vehicle was of satisfactory quality when it was sold. This means you no longer need to seek an independent car inspection.

However, if you believe your car is faulty, you must stop using the car immediately, and contact the dealer directly. You need to follow this up in writing, providing evidence of the problems.

If you've bought the vehicle from a franchised car dealer, you can speak to the manufacturer direct. They don't want to get a bad name because a dealer hasn't provided the expected level of service.

As I said really,I don't think they'll be too surprised to see it come back.you've done everything right,I'd even go so far as to say your too afraid to drive it to them in case the problem gets worse and could they arrange for a lorry to recover it to their garage.also demand a courtesy car as this will get them moving quickly on it.don't get too wound up straight away as their more likely than not too sort it straight out.your addmittedly pissed off at the moment as if you bought that from a dealer I bet it wasn't cheap and the last thing you want to do is spend more.if they seem to be holding back tell them that you only came to the garage for it's excellent reputation and customer support as your friend recommended them to you