General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

dynapack v dyno dynamics ? FAO chip, mad, msd, nms ...........

Search this Thread

Old 30-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Since this thread is back up mine made 809bhp on DD Rollers about 30 down on the Dyno figure. Im happy with that. Thats within 3.6 % .

Will run it again with the new GTX Turbo & a shot of Nitrous in the new year & this time they will have the latest straps to try & hold it down.
Old 31-12-2011, 11:19 AM
pauljh
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Well done Rod,
If my GT35R was ever to fail or wear out i would definatley fit the GTX version, so much more horse power potential.
It will be interesting to see how much you gain.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:52 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by MadRod
Since this thread is back up mine made 809bhp on DD Rollers about 30 down on the Dyno figure. Im happy with that. Thats within 3.6 % .

Will run it again with the new GTX Turbo & a shot of Nitrous in the new year & this time they will have the latest straps to try & hold it down.
was that 809 wheel or fly calc rod ?

once the sup is sorted i intend on getting it run on a dd, not on my 888s though !
Old 01-01-2012, 04:59 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If he's referring to TDI as Torque Developments.

I think it's safe to say TDI's results will be more accurate than any inferior dyno. TDI use Rototest, there is no better dyno.

But either way, it's the before and after that matters.
mine was run on tdis made 760 last time, the confusion comes when people start adding 17% to the wheel figures, this gives a over inflated flywheel figure, add 9 - 10 % is far more realistic imo, or just stick with the wheel figure.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
was that 809 wheel or fly calc rod ?

once the sup is sorted i intend on getting it run on a dd, not on my 888s though !
It was done at a RR road day so calculated fly. The 800+bhp Capri there on the same day made 770bhp & he was not happy most were getting 30ish brake down on what they thought they had , I think the figure was about right.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:36 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
mine was run on tdis made 760 last time, the confusion comes when people start adding 17% to the wheel figures, this gives a over inflated flywheel figure, add 9 - 10 % is far more realistic imo, or just stick with the wheel figure.
The confusion comes when people start quoting dyno figures, of any kind lol.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have time read this.........

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=398130

As far as im concerned dyno figures are a can of worms. How the car/engine performs matters so much more then a figure.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Whys that Steve. Static engine Dyno is the only figures I think are not confusing. Ive compared it on a DD RR & its close enough to suggest it has some merit.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:41 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

i agree non are 100 % accurate nothing can be imo, but dd seem to calculate an accurate fly figure as rods car has proved more than once now compared to engine dyno, hub power is always more than wheel power so less needs to be deducted, take my supra for instance i bought it as 1000 hp car, then got it dynoed and thought it was 900 hp but in reality it is around 840 hp at the flywheel 760 at the hubs.

i want to see a dd dyno with the supra but will have to put my pirellis back on as im 100% confident it will tear the 888s to shreds on a tyre dyno.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:46 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Whys that Steve. Static engine Dyno is the only figures I think are not confusing. Ive compared it on a DD RR & its close enough to suggest it has some merit.
Merit as a tuning tool. The numbers are irrelevant. Maybe if they just gave higher/lower indicators with no numerical content it would be easier lol

The confusion lies because idiots will believe any number they want to believe. Whether it is right or wrong, high or low.

Or in the case of American dyno's, mega high or very high.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

The confusion lies because idiots will believe any number they want to believe. Whether it is right or wrong, high or low.

Believe me Steve i am no idiot . We dynoed in public with a mags chosed expert in attendance on a rivals engine Dyno where favours were not going to happen . No secret squirel or non showing of Dyno Graphs at MAD .
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Believe me Steve i am no idiot . We dynoed in public with a mags chosed expert in attendance on a rivals engine Dyno where favours were not going to happen . No secret squirel or non showing of Dyno Graphs at MAD .
I know full well you arent an idiot and the post wasnt directed at you.. But as you also know, there are plenty out there that if someone posts a graph on the internet, then they believe it must be true.

Doesnt matter whether a 2yr old child has drawn the graph, or a drunken heroin addict. Put a graph on an internet forum along with some well written rubbish and there is a wide audience who will believe it's true. Even more so if they are selling something shiny to back it up.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the thread.

I find the Dyna packs read about 10% high. This is because;
a, you haven't got the tyres running on the rollers IMO one of the biggest factors.
b' the weight of the wheel.

DD's run a calculation based method, this only applies in shootout 44 mode where the ramp rate is static, obviously if the ramp rate changes you cannot calculate loses from the wheel weights etc.
No methods are 100% accurate, If the dyno has a rundown test at least if you change something like the wheel weights this can be added.

Just something simple like how the car is strapped down or how the RPM is scaled can make a huge difference to the power/torque.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
To the thread.

I find the Dyna packs read about 10% high. This is because;
a, you haven't got the tyres running on the rollers IMO one of the biggest factors.
b' the weight of the wheel.

DD's run a calculation based method, this only applies in shootout 44 mode where the ramp rate is static, obviously if the ramp rate changes you cannot calculate loses from the wheel weights etc.
No methods are 100% accurate, If the dyno has a rundown test at least if you change something like the wheel weights this can be added.

Just something simple like how the car is strapped down or how the RPM is scaled can make a huge difference to the power/torque.
That bassically everything in the MLR link thread I posted above, in short form. Its been a great thread to read, with a lot of respectable people posting on there, including yourself
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
I really cant imagine that the 11 an 24 in that should be so far apart.

I know this is an over simplification, but working on the basis that the 4wd has 3 diffs and a box, and the fwd has 1 diff and a box.

11 = d + g
24 = 3d + g

24 - 11 = (3d + g) - (d + g)
13 = 2d
6.5 = d

Which would kind of imply that it thinks that you would lose more power through a diff than through a gearbox?

If you run similar numbers with the 15 and 21 which IIRC the DD uses, its a lot more sensible at the end of it!
I think the DD is 21% not 24, thats some BS number the MLR made up.
Diff 5% gearbox 6%.
However, I'm sure DD know you cannot loose all that power per extra diff, i'm sure its more down to weight of the drivetrain as well. I.e. prob, shafts, discs, these would play a bigger roll in the acceleration test. When doing a "static" pull you remove the inertia forces, and then just have the actual tyre and gearbox losses which I imagine aren't anywhere near.