General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Wood Decking - Treatment....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wood Decking - Treatment....

Does anyone have any good recommendations as to what to use to treat a new decking installation, if anything?

From what I've seen, decking treatments are about double the price of shed/fence treatments, are they literally twice as good? I don't really want to get suckered for decking treatment, if I'm going to be redoing it annually anyway.

I've also read that they wear quickly anyway, so a darker colour will look like shit quicker?

It's good quality decking, not B&Q or Wickes, so is obviously factory treated anyway.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

The stuff b&q/wickes sell is all the same pressure treated wood from the same factory that the expensive places sell....

Treated mine with wickes decking stain. Doddle to do, put a couple of coats on. If it is new wood then you should leave it to tannelise for a while before treating anyway. Think about doing it next spring
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Rich, whether it's from the same factory or not I don't know, but I do know, having seen the two, the 'Greenleaf' 38mm decking we used is significantly nicer quality than what we've seen in both B&Q and Wickes.

Maybe we'll leave it for now then. I was thinking of it being a mad panic to get something on it. LOL.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Well I bought all my decking from wickes, thats what my dad's mate who works in a timber yard told me to do

I laid my decking last summer, then treated it last week. You'll notice the wood will go patchy as it tannelises. When its all settled down and it goes roughly the same colour again then you're good to go!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
CraigoScott
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

any pictures? Or can anyone find me the links to those couple of threads of decking that were posted recently? As i cant be arsed to find them and doing my decking sooon
Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I have pictures of mine as we've built it. Totally DIY. Will post them once it's finished. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. It is about 6.0 metres by 4 metres.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 PM
liammcl
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd let the sun dry it out over the summer and treat it before the autumn.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Blakeya
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liberon decking oil is what you need. Google it for plenty of info. Cheapest i found it was Ł19 for 5 litres delivered. I built my deck last year, let it weather then oiled it only two weeks ago. 1 five litre can should do your size of decking for one treatment. My deck is 7m x 4m & took me 2,5 hours with a 5" brush.

This is where i got mine from:- http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/shopping/...iA6Ew#MOREINFO

HTH
AndyB
Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

as said let the new treated wood weather before treatment not that it needs it.
most softwood pre treated decking ie either

tannalised , impregnated under pressure with highly toxic substances such as arsenic - to protect against rot, usually a greeny colour. dont burn the off cuts as the fumes given off are harmful.

the other way is just dipped into a preservative which doesnt penetrate into the wood as deep so offering less protection.
as for a treatment there are two basic types, oil based and water based.
the oil based ones will soak into the wood offering better protection but are harmful to plants and grass, they will burn or kill them. they are available in various colurs as well as clear.
water based contain ones sit on the surface of the wood and will flake or wear off easier but are safe on foliage.they come in all sorts of colours.
with hardwood decking its best to use an oil to help maintain the new look and nourish the wood
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

tannalised (softwood) timber is impregnated under pressure with highly toxic substances such as arsenic - to protect against rot and usually has a greeny tinge to it. dont burn the offcuts as the fumes are harmful.

other treated timber is just dipped and so not as resistant to rot

either way the timber needs to weather before applying a treatment as it will not take easily to the oilyness of the fresh preservative.

there are two types of treatment,water based or oil based
the water based types sit on the surface and willl wear away over time but are safe to plants and grass etc
oil based ones soak into the timber giving better protection but will damage green stuff.

a hardwood deck is best oiled to nourish the wood and help maintain its original colour. left unoiled it will go to a siler grey colour like a park bench.

thought i'd lost the above post so just retyped it.

Last edited by zetecdan; 01-06-2010 at 06:30 PM.