General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Urgent help with vauxhall

Search this Thread

Old 14-05-2010, 05:41 AM
RigPig
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help with vauxhall

Hi guys, I have just recieved this email from my ex, what should she do next.
Any advise would be great thanks

Hi Bob

Well, this is the sad tale. I just cannot believe I could be so unlucky.

Would appreciate any comments, thanks.

A sad Pat xx

Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 CDTi Design
Reg'd Jan 2008
Purchased December for £7,995

Car had about quarter of a quarter tank of diesel - filled up with unleaded.
Drove about 1 - 2 miles and the car stopped.
Recovery truck towed me to their yard and they emptied fuel, cleaned pipes, etc and refilled with diesel. They did snap the cap on the fuel pipe but this was replaced.
Tried to start car but no luck. They then advised me that the cambelt had broken, but did not think that this had been caused by the incorrect fuel.
As the car is still under warranty, it was towed to Hartwells where they said that the cambelt wheel had shattered and there was various other damage (waiting for that report). They said that there was petrol in the tank/engine so I would not be covered under the warranty.
Phoned the insurance company who said they would help and the car was towed to one of their named garages. I have now been told that it needs a complete new engine and the insurance company have said it is uneconomical to repair and therefore is a write off. The valuation department will contact me early next week.

The car has done about 23,000 miles.
Old 14-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Get a settlement

Buy it back cheap and fling a second hand engine into it
Old 14-05-2010, 07:54 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

As above, or just accept the payout and go and buy another car.

Sometimes insurance offers are a bit low, so do some research and got an average value for the car in that year/condition/miles/History/owners etc.

You will need 20 odd adverts for similar cars taking an average, not over priced cars as you will need to be realistic in order to convince the assessors that the price your asking for is fair.

My sister was offered £4800 for her CTR when it was written off, but you couldn't get one for that, after some sweet talking to the assessor she managed to get him to up the value to £5500 which was their maximum for that car on that year.

You could as said buy the car back if they allow but then costs can spiral if your not in contact with decent people who can sort it and may end up more out of pocket or having hassles.
Old 14-05-2010, 10:02 AM
RigPig
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shit not sounding too good.
thanks for the replys