General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bikers...............advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:12 PM
JokerDisco
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikers...............advice please

Right I've recently had a severe itch that really needs to be scratched, basically I want a road bike.

Now I have no licence and I have no CBT and I would class myself as an inexperienced road rider, however I've rode plenty of off road bikes and would class myself as a half decent rider off road.

Now I've been looking into the courses they offer for direct access which range from about 450 - 820 quid, the higher the price the more inexperinced the rider.

Could anyone give advice on whether I should take a fully fledged novice course or go straight into a more experienced one? Dont want to waste money on a course that will teach the basics that I already know, but at the same time I want to know the ins and outs of whats required when on the road.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 PM
tomS2-Rst
Regular Contributor

Hi Joker.
When did you pass your car lisence-- you may not need a CBT and this will lower the price a bit
Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Friend and i are about to do the same mate, tbh if you can ride a bike the people i did my cbt with recently said a 3day course should be enough, best to book your part one and two separately though, if you fail part one you don't loose your money for part two that way....

Rob,
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM
JokerDisco

Originally Posted by Rob_DOHC
Friend and i are about to do the same mate, tbh if you can ride a bike the people i did my cbt with recently said a 3day course should be enough, best to book your part one and two separately though, if you fail part one you don't loose your money for part two that way....

Rob,
cheers mate didnt know that if you failed module 1 that you lost your money on 2! From the info Ive read module 1 seems to be a doddle.

Originally Posted by tomS2-Rst
Hi Joker.
When did you pass your car lisence-- you may not need a CBT and this will lower the price a bit
2004 I think - 23 now passed at 17
Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

I did a DAC a few year back with a little Road experience.

Passed first time and it cost £495 ..

You can always just do the CBT and fly about on a DTR for a while and see if you really wanna be an Organ doner ..

After you master slow speed control the Big test will be a piece of piss.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 PM
tomS2-Rst
Regular Contributor

Oh yeah I forgot. they changed the test recently didnt they. I was the same as you when I did mine and It was a 5 day coarse but I only did 3 days and test on 4th.

I think it was about £500 when I did that and that was with cbt and test fees. but if you fail test you only have to pay test fee's again and they will give you lessons till you pass.....
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 PM
tomS2-Rst
Regular Contributor

yeah you will need a cbt mate. think they bout 100 but not sure.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 PM
JokerDisco

Originally Posted by .Ross.
I did a DAC a few year back with a little Road experience.

Passed first time and it cost £495 ..

You can always just do the CBT and fly about on a DTR for a while and see if you really wanna be an Organ doner ..

After you master slow speed control the Big test will be a piece of piss.
Yeah the organ doner part of it really worries me as I think I may get the speed bug! Its the other fuckers on the road that I think will cause me a problem.

Oh yeah I forgot. they changed the test recently didnt they. I was the same as you when I did mine and It was a 5 day coarse but I only did 3 days and test on 4th.

I think it was about £500 when I did that and that was with cbt and test fees. but if you fail test you only have to pay test fee's again and they will give you lessons till you pass.....
So if I go for the 5 day one and the instructor sees that I'm at a more experinced level, do they reduce the training leading to a reduced fee?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
.Ross.

Aye ... Bikes dont kill you ... Its the other idiots that do ..

You can do the CBT in one day but it will take months to get a Full Unlimited Bike Ticket ..
Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM
JokerDisco

You can do the CBT in one day but it will take months to get a Full Unlimited Bike Ticket ..
Thought you could do the 5 day course (direct access)?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by JokerDisco
Thought you could do the 5 day course (direct access)?
Aye well unless they have prior arrangments with the DVLA it's a Waiting list for the Theory test then a waiting list for the Big Bike Road test.

I checked the DVLA site everyday for cancelations etc but still couldnt get a Theory test for 3 weeks after the application ..

I did a few Lessons before hand then had the rest of the lessons a week before the test.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
JokerDisco

Aye well unless they have prior arrangments with the DVLA it's a Waiting list for the Theory test then a waiting list for the Big Bike Road test.

I checked the DVLA site everyday for cancelations etc but still couldnt get a Theory test for 3 weeks after the application ..

I did a few Lessons before hand then had the rest of the lessons a week before the test.
Yet another thing I've learned today - I though you could just ring the centre book the thing in for the following week then do it. Forgot about waiting times etc.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:42 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by JokerDisco
Yet another thing I've learned today - I though you could just ring the centre book the thing in for the following week then do it. Forgot about waiting times etc.
Aye ... Test dates run longer than CAR tests ... And its the Summer comming up so everyones keen to get tested ..

I Booked the Direct AC .. Went, Paid and did my CBT then the company booked my Theory test for me, You can follow it on the web and look for eariler dates. Then I sat the theory/hazzard perseption .. Delivered my Pass to the company and they Booked my Practical for me. I then had a few hours on the bike to see if how good i was and how early they should get me riding.

Week before the test (Friday test I think) I went in and did a few hours on the bike and did a double session before my test.

Take into concideration the fact you will need a decent Lid (AGV TiTech recomended)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Joker.
When you passed your car test is irrelevant, the CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training and you will have to do it before you learn to ride a motorbike, it's about 100 quid and takes 1 day.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:47 PM
tomS2-Rst
Regular Contributor

Yeah that the only holdback waiting for test slot. there used to be a bike testing center bout 10miles from me but they shut it down when they done this new test thing... I think they closed a far few of the test centers.

When I did mine you could do a normal full test. and your bike had to be restricted to I think 33hp for two years

Or DAC but you had to be over 21 I think but then you could jump on anythink. but not sure now with all this new stuff.

best to ring about and see what you can get for your money.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 PM
tomS2-Rst
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Red16
When you passed your car test is irrelevant, the CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training and you will have to do it before you learn to ride a motorbike, it's about 100 quid and takes 1 day.

Not true mate If you passed your test before I think 1990 you can ride up to 125 with L plates.
CBT has to be done for insurance reasons so you can be insured to ride on the road while taking the test.

Even my mum has It on her lisence and she's 60 and I pretty sure she never done a CBT lol
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 PM
forevaford
PassionFord Regular

do it, im on my r6 doing over 150 mph and 300 miles every weekend lately, its great. i had about 6x 1hour lessons then my test. (after my cbt of course)
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

motorcross riding gives you some of the best road skills as you learn about loosing traction on the bike and good control skills, so i think the only part you'll be learning is all the "life savers" and general road awareness witch will be mostly common sense, plus having a man's size bike and a relativley comfy seat , compared to sitting on a piece of string wedged between your arse crack
Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not true mate If you passed your test before I think 1990 you can ride up to 125 with L plates.
CBT has to be done for insurance reasons so you can be insured to ride on the road while taking the test.

Even my mum has It on her lisence and she's 60 and I pretty sure she never done a CBT lol
She can ride a moped - with an engine size of up to 50 cc and a maximum speed of up to 50 km/h on her license, but to ride anything bigger she will need to do a CBT.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ions/DG_180694
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 AM
northernmonkey
I didn't do it!

Ok, I've done this recently, passed on the 22/03/10 so I know what I'm on about!

I had riden bikes before, but not for 18 years so therefore i was the novice!

CBT, nearly had to go back, yes it is possible to fail it, however you don't get charged for an extra day to get you through.

As a car driver, you may find the hazard perception bit of the theory test a bit of a twat! It's set up for people with no driving experience at all! Therefore as car experienced driver, you are seeing the hazards before an inexperienced driver. Good you think? No, coz it's done on a points system and if you click to early it doesn't count!

Mod 1: Off road manoeuvres!

Piece of piss? Bollox is it! Anyone can ride a bike fast in a straight line, you try doing it at 5 mph or slower! This is the part most people find hard, it comprises of slow riding, slaloms, U turns etc etc. The other part in this is the new EU directive (that only the UK are doing!) The swerve test at 50 kph (32mph) Youtube it, looks simple, and is, when you get the technique right!

Mod 2, basically a road ride where you should think of the examiner as a sat nav in your ear. Enjoy the ride, be safe and think logically!

I passed everything first time except Mod 2, where I failed for leaving a indicator on for too long! (thought I'd turned it off but didn't obviously!)

However, i did get clean sheets on everything, even Mod 2 second time around!

It's worth doing, and doing on a 500cc (no restrictions then)

Training schools can normally get tests fairly quick and they have certain slots prebooked.

HTH
Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I would say 85% of bike crashes are the riders fault.

Obviously this is my observation from seeing accidents having friends in accidents etc

High siding a bike is your fault, loosing it on as bend or ending up on the wrong side of the road or up the verge into a tree is your fault even when people pull out on you if you was doing the speed limit you may have stopped or at worst have a 10mph fall but most of the time its the rider going too fast or riding over his level etc.

I love bikes and have quite a few but sadly most of my other friends no longer ride so no point in going solo.

J
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

do direct accsess its the only way then u will have a full bike licence cbt thorey test then direct accsess
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

Originally Posted by Red16
She can ride a moped - with an engine size of up to 50 cc and a maximum speed of up to 50 km/h on her license, but to ride anything bigger she will need to do a CBT.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ions/DG_180694
According to that (1994 I passed) I can ride a motorcyle up to 50cc, would I need L plates (and CBT) is this a 2 year thing or am I getting confused?!

*edit or 50km/h will a 50cc bike be restricted to this? I hate mopeds *

Last edited by cabrio zo; 10-05-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Your lessons will teach you slow control of your bike and basically how to pass the test without making hard work of it.
When you pass you will still be a novice and will wobble around, the only prizes you will get for trying to be a Rossi in your 1st 12 months at least will be prize crashes and prize wounds for being a prize nob.

Whatever you do, listen to advice given by instructors, take on some extra training if possible and dont be a nob.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
JokerDisco

Thanks for all the positive comments - much appreciated.

Do I have to pay extra for lessons or is that included in with the Direct Access course?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
CraigJ

I'm doing mine now. I did my theory in july 2008 so i have only till mid july this year to pass or i have to do it again. I am not doing a DAS course as i dont have 4-600 quid spare. My local bike school is a small one, only 3 people run it as far as im aware. You dont have to do DAS, as long as you do the test on a 500 and your over 21 you can ride anything you can insure.

Did my CBT bout 4 weeks ago, then a week later had my first lesson on the 500 which 2 hours learning slow control. Its not that hard if you can ride a bike already. I had onother 1 hour lesson last sat and my Mod1 is booked for monday the 17. one this is passed i will have 1 or 2 lessons then in for the Mod2.

Theory: was about £35 may have gone up now.

CBT: £95. used there bike. little yamaha YBR125
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...BR125-phil.jpg

Horrible fucking thing. most uncomfotable thing ive been on. violated is not the answer. horrible bloody thing to sit on. and there fucking tiny. im 6ft and felt like i was on as kids bike.

2 hour lesson: £50

1 hour lesson: £25

Test Mod1: £15.50 plus £50 bike hire

Next up,

Another lesson or 2. £50-100.

Then the test, Mod2. £75 plus £50 bike hire

All spead out over 2-3 months. so will have cost £4-500 all together.