General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

BMW Misfiring Problem - Help Required Please

Search this Thread

Old 30-04-2010, 09:58 AM
M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW Misfiring Problem - Help Required Please

A friend of mine has recently been having problems with her BMW, this is the message she sent me:

With the car its a BMW 320i year 07. I've had it from new, I must have had it filled up with oil about 15 times since i've had it. BMW say this is normal and can be anything up to 1 litre per 1000mies! I kicked off last year so they replaced all the coils and start plugs. I've had no more problems for about 8 months and its started mis-firing again and needing oil! i did top it up about 8 weeks go and it needs it again. Cars!!!!!

Any ideas guys? I think the garage are just taking the piss out of her because she's a girl and thinks that cars have "start plugs"!

Thanks in advance.
Old 30-04-2010, 10:05 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a new bmw diagnostic machine out now & with the latese version if the cars are missfiring it tells you to replace the offending cylinders coil/plug/injector thats for the newer 4 cylinder direct injection petrol engines! if its a 07 plate it might be out of warranty now she would need to take it back to the dealership pay a diagnostic test then ask them to submit a goodwill on her behalf. I work for a dealership in the warranty department it happens alot, also dealership's dont like being hastled by bmw customer service as it can effect their customer satisfaction points so best to lift the phone to them after the diagnostic test & kick up a stink. They will see from the warranty history of the car its had troubles & hopefully sort it out for her. As for the oil consumption if its using roughly more than 1 pint every thousand miles they will look at it under warranty but if its out you would need to go down the goodwill route again

Last edited by carlo; 30-04-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 AM
M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers mate, I've let her know.

Anyone else? Why would a car need filling up with oil 15 times in 30 months?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you visibly inspect the car mate at least for the oil issue? She might be exaggerating with the 15 times but even if it was 10 times, still about 7-8 times too many if you ask me. Just to check it hasn't got any oil leaks or anything and she is filling it up to the correct level and not overfilling it. Wonder if the oil and misfire issue are related..?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Surely if these same problems have been reported multiple times whilst under warranty, BMW are absolutely liable to sort them out even if the car is now not under warranty ?

Might be worth going over their heads and going direct to BMW UK

Hell...and if there are any local radio stations or papers...just to spice it up a bit.