General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Action day at combe this weekend, anyone here go?

Search this Thread

Old 26-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Action day at combe this weekend, anyone here go?

What a cracking day out, weather was perfect all day, and the track sessions ran much more smoothly than the last action day I went on there.

I did have one monster long wait when a car on a previous session caught fire or something and at this point I found out my new trendy little lightweight race cooling fan isnt up to the job on a hot day so ended up getting dangerously hot and had to switch off before I spat coolant out, but other than that I had a great day.

I was out in this clio:

Best lap anyone timed for me was a 125.11 and a 125.17 which I was fairly happy with, that wasnt in much traffic though, most of the laptimes were a lot slower than that due to the volume of cars on the track but action days are more about fun than laptimes anyway so not bothered about that.

Think the 888s have just about got another day left in them too which im pleased about.

My leda's ive fitted seem to have really tamed the bodyroll but are still compliant enough for kerb hopping so Im over the moon with those, and the wider track and extra caster seems to have helped in the bends, peak speak through camp was touching 80mph on my bravest lap, which is a pretty monsterous speed round there, although that really was a little too close to the ragged edge for an action day so I was mainly going through at about 75mph, which was still more than I saw anyone else on any session I was on doing as I was catching everyone up massively mid bend there.

Fantastic start to the summer trackday season I though
Old 26-04-2010, 08:56 AM
GaryHurn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you had a good day, from what i ve heard the clio was going well ... well done roll on the next track day
Old 26-04-2010, 09:29 AM
DAN P
PassionFord Post Troll

yea looked like you were going well mate
Old 26-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Chip

Thanks, yeah it was going really well considering what a basic spec it is, im really pleased with it since the suspension changes.

Big thanks to Matt@Mtech for the ECU too, thats the best mod ive done to it so far!
Old 26-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Chip

Ps

Looking at that picture I think its due its first wash now ive owned it 18 months and done about 10 trackdays in it, lol
Old 26-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Brian ST-2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Good on you Chip.

My next visit to the Combe is for RS day on 3rd July
Old 26-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Chip

Yeah thats my next outing as well, then again on 6th august for the vauxhall day (will have to use nova for that though as its strictly vauxhalls only apparently)

Then will do the summer day on 11th september.

Might manage to get one normal trackday in there too but bit short on time this year, so probably just be those four which is a shame as I love combe!

Trending Topics

Old 26-04-2010, 10:21 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like you've enjoyed it!

What's next for the Clio?
Old 26-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Sounds like you've enjoyed it!
Yep. had a great day

What's next for the Clio?
Nothing, its finished

Just maintainance now, other than the fact I need to look a bit better at the cooling.

Really happy with the overal spec though, and there is nothing on it that is expensive if it breaks, just the way I want it for my backup trackday car.
Nova is my proper trackday car really, but clio is meant just to be always ready to use if the nova wont pass noise or isnt on the road etc as I got fed up missing trackdays when I was doing longterm development work on the nova which involved it being off the road for ages.

Not bothered about making it any quicker really as straights are pretty boring anyway at any speed, and corner wise its pretty much spot on now.

Only thing I can think of at the moment that I might change this winter when its laid up is to fit a cage (possibly to a new shell then transfer everything over)
Old 26-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Brian ST-2

Originally Posted by Chip
Yeah thats my next outing as well, then again on 6th august for the vauxhall day (will have to use nova for that though as its strictly vauxhalls only apparently)

Then will do the summer day on 11th september.

Might manage to get one normal trackday in there too but bit short on time this year, so probably just be those four which is a shame as I love combe!
Me too, and as far as I know Porkie is bringing the Porker and the Ferrari to Combe. Expect Martoon to bring at least his two, but he's gone a bit quiet recently. I'll pop over and say Hi when I see the Nova
Old 26-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Brian ST24
Me too, and as far as I know Porkie is bringing the Porker and the Ferrari to Combe. Expect Martoon to bring at least his two, but he's gone a bit quiet recently. I'll pop over and say Hi when I see the Nova
Not sure yet if I will be in the nova or the clio at RS Combe, but pop over and say hi either way
Old 26-04-2010, 11:20 AM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Saw you going round mate, looked nice and smooth and 1.25's are respectable on those days for sure
What was up with your mate's astra......didn't seem to be half as quick as i was expecting and smoking alot???
Hopefully be on track at rs combe in mine so be good to follow you round (if you take the clio that is lol)
Old 26-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Brian ST24
Would imagine Fez and Westy. Not 911...

and my new Clio! gotta have some fun racing with Chip....

We did it at Bedford and it was AMAZING fun. Cars were perfectly matched before... however with his new suspension I think his maybe a little faster now!

What can I do to the engine on mine chip? what are they like with TB's?

I know NOTHING about them?
Old 26-04-2010, 11:30 AM
GaryHurn

Originally Posted by Porkie

We did it at Bedford and it was AMAZING fun. Cars were perfectly matched before... however with his new suspension I think his maybe a little faster now!

they are pretty good engines (my mate owns ap developments in swansea) i have seen a few top 260bhp n/a he just built one that will be 300+ n/a but with some tb's decent ecu head work and cams a 200-220bhp is easily reachable and will go like fuck around the track!
Old 26-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by rstdave
Saw you going round mate, looked nice and smooth and 1.25's are respectable on those days for sure
What was up with your mate's astra......didn't seem to be half as quick as i was expecting and smoking alot???
Hopefully be on track at rs combe in mine so be good to follow you round (if you take the clio that is lol)
He's not sure if its the rings or the turbo, he was running wastegate pressure so as not to risk it. still SO much faster than my car though, he span at quarry when he overtook me, and by quarry next lap he was back in front of me again despite me zooming off while he was on the grass, lol
Old 26-04-2010, 11:36 AM
DAN P
PassionFord Post Troll

as above my mate gaz has a clio like yours with tbs cams 240 bhp goes well
Old 26-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Chip

Yours was a little better in the bends anyway if anything I think, so it might have levelled it out a bit more, or slightly given me the edge, i dont think there will be a lot in it still though, especially on a day with a lot of traffic to deal with as that levels things out.

Should be awesome fun again, will definately bring the clio then if you are there to race against

The sky is the limit mate, its just a case of how much you want to spend, thing is though they last forever standard and go pretty well anyway for what they are (was same about pace as mine on the bodies) so I reckon you should just leave it so we can have more epic battles, if you make yours 250bhp@9000rpm Im not going to get near you and I cant afford to do the same, lol
Old 26-04-2010, 11:38 AM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Ahh right i saw it bellowing out smoke in the pits and when it was going round so that explains it then......yeah i'm not saying it was 'slow' but the lack of boost would explain why it wasn't making the noises it did last time i saw it lol!!
Hopefully it's only the turbo then
Old 26-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by DAN P
as above my mate gaz has a clio like yours with tbs cams 240 bhp goes well
Is that gaz from over bath way, mechanic, small fella, dating ronnee who also has a TB'd clio?
Old 26-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Chip

Ahh right i saw it bellowing out smoke in the pits and when it was going round so that explains it then......yeah i'm not saying it was 'slow' but the lack of boost would explain why it wasn't making the noises it did last time i saw it lol!!
Hopefully it's only the turbo then
He's hoping its the rings, as he is halfway through building up a new engine for it anyway, so doesnt give a shit about the old bottom end, but wants to reuse the GT30
Old 26-04-2010, 11:43 AM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by GaryHurn
they are pretty good engines (my mate owns ap developments in swansea) i have seen a few top 260bhp n/a he just built one that will be 300+ n/a but with some tb's decent ecu head work and cams a 200-220bhp is easily reachable and will go like fuck around the track!
Is that Craig?? He's done a couple of williams engine's for a mate of mine (gaz) that have made good power and went well, they didn't seem to last long though and had lots of issues tbh
Old 26-04-2010, 11:44 AM
GaryHurn

Is that Craig?? He's done a couple of williams engine's for a mate of mine (gaz) that have made good power and went well, they didn't seem to last long though and had lots of issues tbh
yeah craig stanley
Old 26-04-2010, 12:02 PM
DAN P
PassionFord Post Troll

yea gaz who goes out with ronnee small small world lol
Old 26-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Brian ST-2

Porkie, can I have dibs on a passenger ride in the Fez.??
And what's Mr. Hadland ringing along.?

Last edited by Brian ST-2; 26-04-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 26-04-2010, 12:37 PM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

I went was a wicked day, Had 2 track sessions but had to come off after a lap
First time i never had to que to get in, mind it was 5 past 7

Did anyone see that black mini in the morning come off near Avon bridge. all four wheels left the ground Italian job style

Japfest for me next cant wait
Old 26-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Was a great day, Got bloody Sun Burnt tho!

Got some Clips in HD, have uploaded 2 of them so far, both unedited aswel

Track Action from one corner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMOs-xeNZM4

Drifting/fucking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTUwE...eature=related

More too Come
Old 26-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Chip

dont suppose you got any footage of my clio Munch?
Old 26-04-2010, 01:04 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by D.K
I went was a wicked day, Had 2 track sessions but had to come off after a lap
First time i never had to que to get in, mind it was 5 past 7

Did anyone see that black mini in the morning come off near Avon bridge. all four wheels left the ground Italian job style

Japfest for me next cant wait
Pmsl.....that was our mate paul 'mcfly' lol, we were all standing on the bank at camp corner watching him when it happened so we saw it all lol, unsurprisingly it did do a bit of damage too
Old 26-04-2010, 01:11 PM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

Pmsl.....that was our mate paul 'mcfly' lol, we were all standing on the bank at camp corner watching him when it happened so we saw it all lol, unsurprisingly it did do a bit of damage too
Was a shame he was doing well, was trying to get a pic but it was to quick for me camera
Did he come off after that? I didnt see him anymore.
Old 26-04-2010, 01:14 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Yeah, he was doin well, but during that session managed to lose his bootlid too so not great all round......he only had the one session booked though so would have been why you didn't see him out again. None of us managed to get evidence of it either
We're local to combe though so no doubt he'll be up there again sometime soon once it's fixed again
Old 26-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Originally Posted by Chip
dont suppose you got any footage of my clio Munch?
I have a clip of a Clio on track, prob's is yours, but on the first lap you see it, i quickly move the camera to film the datsun doing the beemer...Shame as it looks like you are or someone is cocking the back wheel off the ground as you are going the Corner & at the end you can See the clio going around the corner again...

might have more, will have to see
Old 26-04-2010, 01:36 PM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

Yeah, he was doin well, but during that session managed to lose his bootlid too so not great all round......he only had the one session booked though so would have been why you didn't see him out again. None of us managed to get evidence of it either
We're local to combe though so no doubt he'll be up there again sometime soon once it's fixed again
This was all i managed to get of it

Old 26-04-2010, 02:13 PM
DAN P
PassionFord Post Troll

as above he bent both front arms lol and riped the front splitter of he was going well though lol
Old 26-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Munch
I have a clip of a Clio on track, prob's is yours, but on the first lap you see it, i quickly move the camera to film the datsun doing the beemer...Shame as it looks like you are or someone is cocking the back wheel off the ground as you are going the Corner & at the end you can See the clio going around the corner again...

might have more, will have to see
Doh, typical!

If you do have more though that would be great.
Old 26-04-2010, 05:11 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN P
yea gaz who goes out with ronnee small small world lol

Gaz is a mate of mine too, world just got smaller lol

I was up combe on saturday, was a good day
Old 26-04-2010, 07:13 PM
vinnyvangough
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Munch
Was a great day, Got bloody Sun Burnt tho!

Got some Clips in HD, have uploaded 2 of them so far, both unedited aswel

Track Action from one corner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMOs-xeNZM4

Drifting/fucking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTUwE...eature=related

More too Come
Love the Pink Dragon Performance RX-7 at the start of the drifting vid

We done all the graphics for that car and the quick repair after he mullered Benson the Badger the other week lol
Old 26-04-2010, 07:19 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah I was there, got burnt to a crisp!!!

Only did the one session and limped off with oil pressure problems :-(

Old 26-04-2010, 07:39 PM
cossiedrift

I was there done about 6 laps on the 10am session mallard escos with comps
Old 26-04-2010, 08:25 PM
pig

i was there was a decent day didnt get the mk1 on track but next time i think
Old 26-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i didnt know it was last weekend, spent half the day in cunting ikea!

i think i know where id rather have been!

Quick Reply: Action day at combe this weekend, anyone here go?