General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Posture Correction

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posture Correction

Anyone got any tips/been to see a chiropractor to have their posture corrected?

Not sure if im just being paranoid but i've noticed in a couple of recent photos that im rounding my shoulders a bit. Im pretty tall so i dunno if im getting that way through years of sub-concious hunching to compensate for my height?

Not a total hunchback or anything but i wouldn't mind hearing tips on how to teach myself to stand up straighter.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Weird, I was thinking this about myself today! Im always standing under cars on ramps, im 6ft1 and the cars probably sit at 5ft9 so im often hunched over...most annoying! i'll stand on your back if you stand on mine Colliiiiiiin
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
Weird, I was thinking this about myself today! Im always standing under cars on ramps, im 6ft1 and the cars probably sit at 5ft9 so im often hunched over...most annoying! i'll stand on your back if you stand on mine Colliiiiiiin
Only if i can stand on yours first, got a feeling it would end in tears though

Since i noticed it in pics the other night, everytime ive been sitting down i've been totally paranoid, trying to get a Barry Ferguson style pidgeon chest goin on, rolling my shoulders back etc!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Errr, I think my ribs would colapse, no offence

I've been doin the same in the car, It feels uncomfy sitting right back with my shoulders back and head on headrest....gonnie end up like lurch

Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im bad for my posture, me mum is a sports therapist/reflexology/massage all that stuff and shes forever telling me

my right shoulder is higher than the other apparently, i guess cause i use my right arm more, something people should think about more, especially the mechanics, im 6ft6, working under and on cars is a pain in the arse

i regularly have treatments off me mum though and it sorts my back out good
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Very difficult to explain this but at my old gym an instructor showed me an exercise that targeted muscles just below your lower abdominal wall around your pelvis to help keep your back upright. I'll try explain best way I can. In press up stance (tip toes, straight back, symmetrical) you rest on your forearms keeping your back straight at all times. Your forearms are in a V shape so basically your hands are together and your elbows are about shoulder width apart and level with each other and that strengthens your pelvis muscles (don't know what exactly) and helps your stance. Just hold this position for a good while till it starts hurting then stop. This should NOT hurt your back at all. Done it a few times think it helped me. Also another thing he told me just look at yourself in the mirror and practice walking and standing upright you know chest out back straight. Comes in good time.

Last edited by pani_k; 01-04-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM
orionmojo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i do the same, but its habit from my teen years when i was chunkier (than i am now! lol,) and i did it to try and hide my belly.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 AM
GTi-R23
The ladies love it French

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J1mbo
i regularly have treatments off me mum though and it sorts my back out good

Seriously no one gonna take the piss out of that comment?!

I'm 6ft 3 and pretty hunched over when I'm driving, feels really uncomfortable to put my head back to the head rest
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

One good thing to do is start sucking your stomach in (especially good for people that have lower back probs too)

at first it's hard to maintain and really try and feel the muscles low down, after a few days you'll find you can hold it for ages. It is hard but after a while you'll find your core held together better and you can build a good posture on a good core strength.

I'd also advise situps and get into your head your core muscles pulling in and holding you tight.

It sounds a pain but trust me after a few days (you will feel a burn from holding yourself in at first) you'll get addicted to it. Before you know it your muscles will have pulled tight and your jeans will be hanging off. Keep situps up and build your posture on your new core strength.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
grumpy bitch
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

As you know guys you only get one back so you have to look after it. No matter how tall you all are you should stand tall chest out hips tucked in. To see if you are hunching over try lifting your shoulders up rotate them forward back then down. This will automatically push your chest forward straighten your back and hold your core muscles. I have a condition called Hyper Mobility Syndrome which basically means i am too flexible (no taking the piss please if you can help yourselves) I have to do pilates (sorry sp) this strengthens the core muscles but does not encourage flexibility. It is very good for back and core strengthening so you guys should try it even at home. It feels pretty easy at the time but you will be sore next day
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i'm 6ft 2" and my posture is terrible; it all started at school; i was the lanky streak of piss so i used to try and make myself look smaller by hunching

i was on the piss recently with mates and someone took a picture, i can be seen in the background resembling the hunchback of notre dame!

since then, as soon as i realise i'm hunching (especially when driving) i pull my shoulders back, my posture seems to be getting better.

Last edited by LHD220Turbo; 02-04-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.drbookspan.com/NeckPainArticle.html