General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Tyre help!! Michelin vs Hankook!! LOL.

Search this Thread

Old 16-03-2010, 04:55 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

my van can do 2 sets of tyres in a year, what does that show?

nothing, because it's horses for courses

if you have a tyre that, as has been stated previously by james in regards to the ps2 tyres for stu's m5, is only good in the dry then what do you use in the wet?

so not only do you need 2 sets of tyres, you'll need 2 sets of rims to go with it

there are no tyres that let you bake your cake and eat it
Old 16-03-2010, 05:40 PM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Grid/

Quick easy comparison with links to reviews

Obviously the table position can vary according to how many people reviewed and again as said by someone else who are the people reviewing ???

Just another point after just having some new tyres fitted Formula 1 Autocenter will match any price, internet included, I quoted them a Mytyres fitted price and he said he would match it, but as it happens his standard price was cheaper anyway

Steve
Old 16-03-2010, 06:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used the V12 for a while now in 205/50X15 size on me 2wd sapphy.
Previously on the same car I've had eagle f1 gsd3, vredestein sportrac 3's, rainsport 2's, and D40, but best not go there there were 21 years old!!
The sidewalls are softer on the V12 than most, and at first feel a bit squishy on turn in, till you notice the grip hasn't vanished, they are easily the quietest tyre to have been on the car, they have masses more feedback than any other tyres on the car, wet performance is stunning, a bit early to tell wear rates, but I go through at least a set of tyres a year, from what can be seen they seem they don't appear to be any different, ie minimum 2500 miles and not dead, nothing like it, the grip under braking wet or dry is unreal, exactly as the german tyre tests have found, owing to the better feel though they inspire so much more confidence, put simply I rather be doing 70/80 in the wet with these than 40mph in the dry with the F1 any day of the week.
The whole point of any persons view is how it is to that person, ie the vette owners, they wear out the supercar tires first stick on V12, so they get a direct comparison with a car they know very well having done thousands of miles in it, and find every aspect of them better than the twice the price tyres.
I read reviews of what is the best performance tyre at the time of the test, tyre compounds change all the time, despite being called a summer tyre I found nothing untoward in the winter with snow on the ground, obviously apart from lack of grip on snow, temps didn't seem to faze them.
I even have these on the gf's astra 1.4 auto, but then it has 90bhp, only done for the safety aspect, if they wopre out in 3000 miles and were the best they will still be on the car.
I think a lot of the big names have got complacent thinking the name will sell the product, without always striving to get a better product, if a relatively unknown maker can come in to play and give thier much pricier rivals a good kicking they need to take note.
There's loads of german magazine tyre test to look at, depends what you want from a tyre, if you want ultimate grip wet and dry then you have to pay for it, but not as much as you think now!!
tabetha
Old 16-03-2010, 09:32 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1
Just another point after just having some new tyres fitted Formula 1 Autocenter will match any price, internet included, I quoted them a Mytyres fitted price and he said he would match it, but as it happens his standard price was cheaper anyway

Steve
that's interesting. i went in one that's just opened up in crawley tonight to get a price for a pair of 155 70 13s for my fiesta - they wanted £93 fitted for the pair for some goodyear duragrip (to replace the gt2s that are on there now that i can't fault). i thought that was expensive. looking at camskill, they charge £34 each, so F1 are charging £12 per tyre for fitting and balancing which seems a lot.
Old 16-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To throw a spanner in the works, what about the Kumho ku31?

Im getting these fitted to the mrs's car soon. I was a bit put off by the fact they are kumho's but after looking around it seems a lot of e46 m3 owners really really rate them.

Cheaper than the hankook's too.

Gavin.
Old 16-03-2010, 11:41 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
for a pair of 155 70 13s for my fiesta - they wanted £93 fitted for the pair for some goodyear duragrip

so F1 are charging £12 per tyre for fitting and balancing which seems a lot.
dunno what they are like if your buying the tyres from them but when i got my tyres from camskill and tried to get them fitted locally they wanted over a £1 an inch, so i was looking at £18ish pounds a corner to have them fitted so seems a good price, but i managed to get a backstreet part worns garage to fit them £7.50 a side, i wouldn't take a nice set of rim's there though
Old 17-03-2010, 07:43 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

there is a backstreet part worns that will do fitting cheaper, and it doesn't really matter on my little steelies. but possibly not worth the hassle for the £5 or £10 i'd save in the end to get them sent to me, take to get fitted etc